Photo
- - - - -

Stepping up lager starters... talk to me like I'm 4 years old...

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#81 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:37 AM

I just put step one of my starter in the fridge to crash this morning.  I won't be brewing for over a week.  I still have one more step to do between now and then.

#82 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:23 AM

I made the starter this morning. That's much more starter wort than I am used to using. I was also concerned that my stirbar was not big enough (That's what she said!)... oh wait, this isn't the PH. Anyway, at first I got ZERO 'stirring' in the flask so I turned it up and threw the bar. I eventually found a sweet spot where it's got a decent whirlpool going and the bar is in place. Also, this 2002 Gambrinus yeast smells lovely. A small drip landed on a paper towel in my prep area and when I was cleaning up I wanted to EAT that paper towel. Reminds me a little of 2782 Staro in the aroma. Cheers peeps and thanks again for the direction. The thread for my 4-year-old brain has gone on for 5 pages now!! :D

#83 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:34 AM

I always thought the stirbar size was decided on primarily by the magnates in the stirplate?  I have one that I found works well for 1-4l starters and that is a cross type like this. I think I have about 7-8 stir bars and this is my go to.

Posted Image

Edited by drez77, 04 March 2015 - 11:34 AM.

#84 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:37 AM

Dude. That's not a stirbar. That's a propeller. :P My stirbar looks like a piece of white Good 'N Plenty. :D

#85 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:39 AM

I always thought the stirbar size was decided on primarily by the magnates in the stirplate?  I have one that I found works well for 1-4l starters and that is a cross type like this. I think I have about 7-8 stir bars and this is my go to.

Posted Image

I use the regular old 1" variety for my 4L starters. You don't need a whirlpool in your starter. The real reason to have it on a stir plate is so that the yeast can't floc out and it grows to it's maximum potential.

#86 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:43 AM

I use the regular old 1" variety for my 4L starters. You don't need a whirlpool in your starter. The real reason to have it on a stir plate is so that the yeast can't floc out and it grows to it's maximum potential.

I just looked it up and this one is 1" x 9/6".  I agree the vortex on my bigger ones is more of a small surface dimple.

#87 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:46 AM

Guys with small stirbars tend to say things like this. :PAs I was futzing with it, I knew that I didn't need a freaking tsunami in there, but at first I wasn't getting ANY activity at all. Yep, just keep things moving and it should be golden.

#88 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:17 PM

Guys with small stirbars tend to say things like this. :PAs I was futzing with it, I knew that I didn't need a freaking tsunami in there, but at first I wasn't getting ANY activity at all. Yep, just keep things moving and it should be golden.

It's not the size that counts, it's how you use it!

#89 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:23 PM

Got some activity...Posted Image

#90 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:42 PM

I always find it tough to gauge starter activity.  Sometimes there just isn't much going on while other times there is a nice layer of krausen.

#91 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:55 AM

That's a purdy flask!

#92 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:01 AM

That's a purdy flask!

I think that flask will soon see a big brother too!

#93 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:35 AM

I agree that is a Purdy flask. It's a big-ass BOMEX flask is what it is. I feel like I'm going to break this thing. It's too big and fragile... I have to hold it like a baby. Hey Rich, my calendar tells me that it's MLPA Day today. ;)

I think that flask will soon see a big brother too!

Don't forget to let me know of something to send in return. Looking for anything I may have? Just beer? I have beer. Oh I have that REAL GOOD!

#94 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:36 AM

I agree that is a Purdy flask. It's a big-ass BOMEX flask is what it is. I feel like I'm going to break this thing. It's too big and fragile... I have to hold it like a baby. Hey Rich, my calendar tells me that it's MLPA Day today. ;)Don't forget to let me know of something to send in return. Looking for anything I may have? Just beer? I have beer. Oh I have that REAL GOOD!

beer. . I like beer!

#95 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:05 AM

MLPA Day!!!  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

#96 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:24 AM

Is this anything like nudie magazine day

#97 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:51 AM

Is this anything like nudie magazine day

If that helps you Dan. :P

I sure hope it makes it. Is that beer going to be warm when you get it? Oh well, let me know how it is.

#98 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

If that helps you Dan. :PI sure hope it makes it. Is that beer going to be warm when you get it? Oh well, let me know how it is.

I'm sure it will be fine.

#99 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:40 PM

I got the beer! UBER clear and super cool bottles as well. I've never seen any like that. The bottles are chilling in the fridge. Thanks so much, Ken!!! You da man!

#100 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16666 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:10 PM

Ken!!! You da man!

This. He sent me a legit Helles several months back in a 750ml. Hope the MLPA is half as good as what he sent me. The man makes good beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users