14 replies to this topic

#1 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38777 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:27 PM

Just saw this. Hmm, a crooked Illinois politician... Whooda thunk it?LINK.

#2 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37970 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:30 PM

Nope, I'm not in his district but he is from Peoria. He was the last guy I thought would get caught up in something like this. His political career is actually a cool story and he showed a lot of promise until all this came about...

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55323 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:54 PM

Reading the article, nothing jumped out at me as big issues. They called 12 flights on donor private planes (which he paid for?!) since 2011 a 'high flying lifestyle'. 12 flights (that he paid for his share of!) in four years?I mean, FFS, i'm sure there's all kinds of real political grift going in. Why is this even a story?

#4 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38777 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:56 PM

Reading the article, nothing jumped out at me as big issues. They called 12 flights on donor private planes (which he paid for?!) since 2011 a 'high flying lifestyle'. 12 flights (that he paid for his share of!) in four years?I mean, FFS, i'm sure there's all kinds of real political grift going in. Why is this even a story?

I took it that he billed taxpayers or used taxpayer money for personal leisure.

#5 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37970 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:59 PM

He paid for it with campaign funds.

#6 BIG POPPA

BIG POPPA

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25964 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:50 PM

That exif data tho

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55323 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:26 PM

Honestly, i don't want to read into it any more, but it seemed to me like it was campaign funds.

#8 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37970 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

Honestly, i don't want to read into it any more, but it seemed to me like it was campaign funds.

Yup and apparently that's a problem. He also has campaign funds wrapped in a property he's trying to sell. The local media is having a field day with this...

#9 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38777 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:24 PM

You would think that after sooo many politicians have done stupid things that they thought they could get away with, people would eventually recognize areas of trouble. If someone that contributed to your campaign later asks you for favors and it's going to be REALLY obvious, you'd think they'd say, OOOOH, NO... I saw this one on Dateline. No, thank you! The dude from Virginia (the Governor and his wife) who took all kinds of gifts and cash and travel, etc... WTF!? This guy from IL was even stupid enough to broadcast the shizz all over Instagram. How's this? If you're a politician and you're on the take, lay low & don't flaunt it. <_<

Edited by Village Taphouse, 24 February 2015 - 08:24 PM.

#10 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37970 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:51 PM

You would think..

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55323 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:57 PM

Clearly our best and brightest are not going into politics...or the bright ones just don't get caught.

#12 Seagis

Seagis

Comptroller of Nothing Being Good Enough

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18479 posts
  • LocationThe city of Townsville

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:01 PM

You would think that after sooo many politicians have done stupid things that they thought they could get away with, people would eventually recognize areas of trouble. If someone that contributed to your campaign later asks you for favors and it's going to be REALLY obvious, you'd think they'd say, OOOOH, NO... I saw this one on Dateline. No, thank you! The dude from Virginia (the Governor and his wife) who took all kinds of gifts and cash and travel, etc... WTF!? This guy from IL was even stupid enough to broadcast the shizz all over Instagram. How's this? If you're a politician and you're on the take, lay low & don't flaunt it. <_<

Yeah, the wife was sentenced to 366 (!) days in prison. Not "one year" and not "twelve months." They sentenced her to, as it was worded in the courtroom, "a year and a day." Seriously . . . what's the purpose of the extra day?

#13 Ramkisoon

Ramkisoon

Milliner Defecator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26044 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:50 AM

Yeah, the wife was sentenced to 366 (!) days in prison. Not "one year" and not "twelve months." They sentenced her to, as it was worded in the courtroom, "a year and a day." Seriously . . . what's the purpose of the extra day?

My guess would be that with a 1 year sentence, there is the possibility of early release. Less than a year is generally a misdemeanor. With 1 year and 1 day, there is no possibility of early release, thereby guaranteeing felony. 

#14 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38777 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:03 AM

My guess would be that with a 1 year sentence, there is the possibility of early release. Less than a year is generally a misdemeanor. With 1 year and 1 day, there is no possibility of early release, thereby guaranteeing felony.

Boom. Roasted. :PMy guess is that when politicians go to prison they bump into other crooked politicians in there.

#15 Seagis

Seagis

Comptroller of Nothing Being Good Enough

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18479 posts
  • LocationThe city of Townsville

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:05 AM

That makes sense.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: politics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users