22 replies to this topic

#1 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:41 PM

SO I just got my 15# tank filled for the first time by this place. Initially the first tank runs dry, but some gas got in there. He checks it and it's part c02 part atmosphere air from what he can tell, he empties it. Now he hooks up his other tank, his regulator is leaking co2 everywhere, but my tank gets filled. Think there's a good chance there's atmosphere in the now filled tank based on the prior occurance?15# tank for $20 though so I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

#2 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:56 PM

15# tank for $20 though so I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

Dang... I just paid $30 for 5#! :)

#3 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:58 PM

I'm with you, the only reason why I went to this new place is airgas didn't have any aluminum 15#er's so I only got my five filled. $30.62

#4 Mexas Joe

Mexas Joe

Obama Thanker

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22502 posts
  • LocationIt's OK to be White

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:05 PM

I get my big tank filled by the guy that fills our Coke Machine. Less than 10 bucks usually.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:08 PM

Ouch .. that hurts.

#6 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:13 PM

I just got my 50# tank filled for 30 dollars.

#7 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:14 PM

SO I just got my 15# tank filled for the first time by this place. Initially the first tank runs dry, but some gas got in there. He checks it and it's part c02 part atmosphere air from what he can tell, he empties it. Now he hooks up his other tank, his regulator is leaking co2 everywhere, but my tank gets filled. Think there's a good chance there's atmosphere in the now filled tank based on the prior occurance?

The only way air could get in is if you left the valve open after you emptied it. At any other time, the positive pressure from the CO2 would prevent air from getting in. If you're concerned about it, you can open the valve and bleed off however much gas is in the headspace. You can rest assured that the liquid content of the tank is CO2. That said, I don't think there's any way that there is air in your tank.

#8 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:20 PM

The only way air could get in is if you left the valve open after you emptied it. At any other time, the positive pressure from the CO2 would prevent air from getting in. If you're concerned about it, you can open the valve and bleed off however much gas is in the headspace. You can rest assured that the liquid content of the tank is CO2. That said, I don't think there's any way that there is air in your tank.

Thank you Mtn. I have 8 kegs it is feeding so I was a little paranoid about it. I knew I could come here and get my answer.

#9 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:55 PM

I'm with you, the only reason why I went to this new place is airgas didn't have any aluminum 15#er's so I only got my five filled. $30.62

I think you just found a new place to get gas! I got mine at Airgas. He told me he's got about 100 customers who have keggerators, and knows a handful of those are homebrewers. He also metioned that pot growers would come in and get CO2, but I didn't want to press him as to what they put it to use doing. He said those are the guys that always have that "smell" about them and pay strictly in cash.

#10 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:21 PM

I think you just found a new place to get gas! I got mine at Airgas. He told me he's got about 100 customers who have keggerators, and knows a handful of those are homebrewers. He also metioned that pot growers would come in and get CO2, but I didn't want to press him as to what they put it to use doing. He said those are the guys that always have that "smell" about them and pay strictly in cash.

The plants do way better when they are being fed CO2.I swap my tank at a place called Aeris in Petaluma, CA. 20# tank for 26.00. :)

Edited by badogg, 09 September 2009 - 04:21 PM.

#11 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:57 PM

That's hilarious, the place that fille dmine for cheap was a hydroponics store!

#12 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:11 PM

try your local paint ball gun store, i get mine filled cheap with no bottle swap.

#13 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:57 PM

I go to two different LHBS and get my 5# bottles filled for about $17 IIRC.

#14 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:02 PM

That's a rip. Last time I filled my 20# at the local fire extinguisher place it was less than $17.00 but that's in KC. Filling my 5# is still over $10 IIRC, and the 10# is somewhere inbetween.With regard to the OP's ?, Mtn has it right - no worry.

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:29 AM

I just got a swap at Airgas on the way in this morning, 5#/$19. I could get it cheaper since the location I get it from only carries medical grade gas, it's just too convenient to get it there since it's a few hundred yards from where I work. The prices son't go up linearly though. i think a 50# fill is only like $35.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:48 AM

I go to the local fire extingusher place. 5# is 10 bucks. This guy is great. He will see me or my dad walking in and stop what he is doing and fill our tank. I have to remember to get him a 6 pack one of these days!

#17 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:06 AM

I just got a swap at Airgas on the way in this morning, 5#/$19. I could get it cheaper since the location I get it from only carries medical grade gas, it's just too convenient to get it there since it's a few hundred yards from where I work. The prices son't go up linearly though. i think a 50# fill is only like $35.

Yes, there is a convenience factor since this place is only a mile or two from work and it gets me out of the office. The local guy in the town that I actually live in is closed on weekends, so he is very inconvenient. Given that I only have to get maybe 2 refills a year, it's not all that bad... but still... I feel like I'm paying for a high priced hooker but getting the same product as you guys. :-)And no... I'm not gonna drive all the way from Tracy to Petaluma. I think I'd end up paying more to the oil companies.

#18 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:50 PM

Did George ever get his brew gas database up and running again? Lots of good info there.FWIW, the fire extinguisher place near me fills my 10 lbs tank while I wait (~5 mins) for $9.50 tax included (if any).

#19 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:01 PM

And no... I'm not gonna drive all the way from Tracy to Petaluma. I think I'd end up paying more to the oil companies.

Brewmaster in San Leandro does $13 dollar fills while you wait, open on Saturday. Not real close for you, but still an excellent old school shop if you need other supplies too.

#20 WhiteSoxFan

WhiteSoxFan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:39 PM

Did George ever get his brew gas database up and running again? Lots of good info there.FWIW, the fire extinguisher place near me fills my 10 lbs tank while I wait (~5 mins) for $9.50 tax included (if any).

Name and address? Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users