#1 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:26 PM

Just wondering what software people are using to design there great beer logo's Ken has many many very nice ones

#2 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:34 PM

I use Microsoft Publisher to make mine (see below). I believe Ken directed me that way...https://web.me.com/chadm75/Potomac_Brewing_Company/Our_Beers.html

#3 albertv05

albertv05

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:36 PM

I'm a total beer label nerd. I use mostly Photoshop and sometimes Illustrator.You can check out some of my labels here:https://www.131brews.com/Cheers,Al

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54129 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:38 PM

On an older Dell PC, I got something called Microsoft Picture It! It allows you to layer pictures, shapes, texts of different shapes, etc. One thing that's cool is that it also lets you take a pic and do a bunch effects to it (quilt, scratch, chalky-rub, sepia-tone, etc). I believe that Microsft Publisher is the newer version of Picture It! I just use a "blank backdrop" as a label, then add a picture, the name, some barley stalks and that's it. It's another part of homebrewing's creativity. Cheers!

#5 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:45 PM

131's are unbelievable....he does great work obviously. I wish I had the patience to learn Photoshop or Illustrator...great work!

#6 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:35 PM

Thanks Guys ill be downloading some software this evening :) Hats off to 131 amazing

#7 Given2fly

Given2fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:37 PM

131's are unbelievable....he does great work obviously. I wish I had the patience to learn Photoshop or Illustrator...great work!

I agree, 131's are awesome. I usually do mine with a combo of photoshop and word. Here are some examples:Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:42 PM

I'm a total beer label nerd. I use mostly Photoshop and sometimes Illustrator.You can check out some of my labels here:https://www.131brews.com/Cheers,Al

Al did my logo and he did a great job on it.Posted Image

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54129 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:42 PM

AL: Those are awesome. I knew I had seen a few of those before including the Triple Chocolate Stout. On my new PC, I have something called Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0. I tried to play with it and just couldn't do what I expected to be able to do. On my labels, I start with a "blank label" which is just a picture with my logo. Then I "add" things (pictures, text, shapes, effects, etc.) but I just couldn't figure out how these things worked with this Adobe product. Does anyone have this and know how some of this stuff works? Al, I may have to call myself a label nerd too because there are times when I just "envision" a certain beer and make a label for it before I even brew the beer! Cheers.

#10 Noontime

Noontime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach FL

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:13 AM

AL: Those are awesome. I knew I had seen a few of those before including the Triple Chocolate Stout. On my new PC, I have something called Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0. I tried to play with it and just couldn't do what I expected to be able to do. On my labels, I start with a "blank label" which is just a picture with my logo. Then I "add" things (pictures, text, shapes, effects, etc.) but I just couldn't figure out how these things worked with this Adobe product. Does anyone have this and know how some of this stuff works? Al, I may have to call myself a label nerd too because there are times when I just "envision" a certain beer and make a label for it before I even brew the beer! Cheers.

Although the Photoshop Elements is a stripped down version it is still a very powerful program and well worth learning if you enjoy creating labels. There certainly are other good programs out there but I like the Adobe products. Knowing where to start and learning the basics is the hardest part, but once you find where everything is and how to navigate, I'm sure you'll figure out what you want to do and how to do it. I suggest going to the local library and seeing if they have any books on Photoshop; "Classroom in a Book" is a very good one. There's also plenty of free tutorials on the web at the Adobe website and others. Most of them are video so they're really helpful. Good luck and have fun!

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54129 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:52 AM

Although the Photoshop Elements is a stripped down version it is still a very powerful program and well worth learning if you enjoy creating labels. There certainly are other good programs out there but I like the Adobe products. Knowing where to start and learning the basics is the hardest part, but once you find where everything is and how to navigate, I'm sure you'll figure out what you want to do and how to do it. I suggest going to the local library and seeing if they have any books on Photoshop; "Classroom in a Book" is a very good one. There's also plenty of free tutorials on the web at the Adobe website and others. Most of them are video so they're really helpful. Good luck and have fun!

I will check out the Adobe site and see what's up. I assume it's just something that I'm missing, but I felt very dense trying to do the simplest thing in this Adobe Photoshop Elements. Cheers!

#12 albertv05

albertv05

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:10 AM

Noontime is right, Adobe products have a steep learning curve. Figuring out basics can be difficult but once you do you can do a lot. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I'd be more than happy to help.I'm glad everyone likes my labels :) I can't wait to make more!Cheers,Al

#13 Noontime

Noontime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:30 AM

Is there any way of posting actual pictures on this site? I wanted to post a few of my labels, but it just asks me for a URL link

#14 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:42 AM

I agree Ken Adobe makes you feel like you need a degree to use it But go to youtube.com and search Photoshop tutorials and there is plenty of info there also

#15 Noontime

Noontime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:10 AM

I will check out the Adobe site and see what's up. I assume it's just something that I'm missing, but I felt very dense trying to do the simplest thing in this Adobe Photoshop Elements. Cheers!

It may be something as simple as not having your "layers" pallete open. I always have this visable so I know which layer I am working on. The help files can also be...well...helpful. As Al said, if you have any questions I'd be happy to help as well.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54129 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:28 AM

Is there any way of posting actual pictures on this site? I wanted to post a few of my labels, but it just asks me for a URL link

Host the image on a site, then when you post here, click on the "IMAGE" icon and place the address of your image in the URL. Like this...Posted Image

#17 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:04 AM

https://www.brews-br...g-pictures-faq/

#18 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:35 AM

Am I lame for just using a sharpie to put a number on the bottle cap? :)

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54129 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:48 PM

YOU ARE LAME! :) I use a Sharpie on the cap too... when I bottle.Actually, I don't put the labels on my bottles anymore. I would if I were handing them out, but otherwise I just create the label. I have a few of them printed on large photo paper, framed and hanging in the bar area in my basement.

#20 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:25 PM

Sharpies on the cap here, but I don't use numbers. Numbers don't mean anything to me when it comes to grabbing a beer out of the fridge; so I typically use a two-letter code. It's easier to know that AB = american brown and DS = dry stout. If I happen to have similar styles made next to each other I sometimes use different letters for the "name" of the beer, or then I'll add a number to differentiate batches of the same beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users