55 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:00 AM

In Feb. I have a few get togethers that will involve the need for several beers including a couple of IPA's I thought I would run with this idea from the beer you had as it sounded great. Also convenient that I have everything on hand to make it. Looks like Surly's recipe is Hercules for bittering and then all Citra and Mosaic in an unknown ratio. For my tastes I am thinking an equal amount in the whirlpool and dry with the ratio of 2:1 or maybe 1.5:1 of Citra:Mosaic. It's pretty straight forward on paper but let me know what you think of this.

OG 1.063

IBU 60

SRM 5.5

100% Fawcett Golden Promise

Mash @152F

Apollo @60min to 60 IBU

90g Citra and 45g Mosaic in 160F whirlpool.

90g Citra and 45g Mosaic split in 2 dry hop additions.

WLP007 (supposedly Surly's house yeast)

Edited by nettles, 16 January 2015 - 09:01 AM.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:11 AM

I have not had the beer .. but would like to!  The recipe looks darn tasty to me. 

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:15 AM

I have not had the beer .. but would like to!  The recipe looks darn tasty to me. 

I don't fear the fruit.

#4 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:59 AM

Oh wow, that looks great and very similar to the recipe I had worked up to try and brew it. Along with everything you have there I was thinking a smaller addition at 5 min as well. But should be good as is. I tend to brew this as soon as I get a sack of GP. Man I loved that beer!

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

Honest question.  I have not done anything with GP over the years so is it that much different than MO?  I am putting a grain order together and debating if getting a sack is worth it.

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:37 AM

Honest question.  I have not done anything with GP over the years so is it that much different than MO?  I am putting a grain order together and debating if getting a sack is worth it.

It is similar to MO in that it has a more pronounced character of its own. When you taste MO you know that nothing else tastes quite like it. GP is like that except it's own distinct flavor is a bit different. It comes across sweeter/richer (in a good way) and to me it has a nice bready graham crackerish flavor but less bready than MO. It's a nice malt and if I had to choose between GP and MO I'm not sure which I would choose. I wonder if more commercial producers shy away from it strictly because of price. It's nice to not have that limitation as a home brewer. 

Oh wow, that looks great and very similar to the recipe I had worked up to try and brew it. Along with everything you have there I was thinking a smaller addition at 5 min as well. But should be good as is. I tend to brew this as soon as I get a sack of GP. Man I loved that beer!

Matt, what do you think of the Citra:Mosaic ratio from what you remember from tasting the beer? I'm probably going to make this sometime in the next several days.

#7 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:08 PM

I think your 2:1 is probably real close. You could definitely pick out the citra a lot more than the mosaic. I say brew it as is and see how it goes. Any chance your going to be in MSP anytime soon to try it?

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:48 PM

I think your 2:1 is probably real close. You could definitely pick out the citra a lot more than the mosaic. I say brew it as is and see how it goes. Any chance your going to be in MSP anytime soon to try it?

Thanks. No unfortunately I will not be back down there for a while. Ill go with the 2:1.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:37 PM

Got my new thermapen and this one is being brewed as posted above. Mashed and drained, the boil will have to wait until I get back from skiing with the kids. Can't wait to stink up my basement with that Citra/Mosaic combo in the whirlpool!

#10 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:26 AM

So did you get it in the fermenter?

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:53 AM

So did you get it in the fermenter?

Oh yeah. She's cooking away happily at 64F right now. Smelling heavenly.

#12 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:04 PM

Any updates?

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:52 PM

I was kind of afraid you'd ask. In the recipe above you see the dry hop of 90g Citra and 45g Mosaic split in 2 additions. The first addition (45g Citra/23g Mosaic) was added at the tail end of fermentation which is my normal process. After 3 days the beer was crashed for about 36 hrs and was surprisingly clear. I did a closed transfer into a purged keg with the bagged hops already in the keg. A sample at the time of transfer seemed pretty tasty, strong flavored, but good and about what I would have expected from the beer at that stage. Well I was pretty busy that night, 2 weeks ago, working on 4 different beers in the same night. I realized after the transfer that I had added the entire planned dry hop to the keg, that is... 90g Citra and 45g Mosaic. So what I have in the keg right now is incredibly opaque beer that looks like someone added half and half to it and tastes of sweaty pineapple feet. It's is absurdly strong. Now, I did expect that this hop combo and quantity may need a little time to settle down (and maybe it will) but that was considering the original weight of dry hops. So, the update is… unless you guys have better suggestions…. I am going to just leave it in the serving fridge a good while too see if it will mellow out a bit.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:12 AM

That second dry hop does not really seem excessive to me.  I am also surprised it made it that opaque, that has not been my experience.  I believe you have mentioned before you found gelatin to strip some of the hops away.  Maybe it would be worth the experiment to add some gelatin to the keg to see if it help clear it and knock the hops down a bit?

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:31 AM

That second dry hop does not really seem excessive to me.  I am also surprised it made it that opaque, that has not been my experience.  I believe you have mentioned before you found gelatin to strip some of the hops away.  Maybe it would be worth the experiment to add some gelatin to the keg to see if it help clear it and knock the hops down a bit?

It's 7+ ozs. of dry hops and I have used up to a half pound without this happening, just not with these varieties. So that gives me hope it may come around.

Thought about gel or biofine. I'll give it another week or so and see what happens. My experience has been that when the beer is that opaque from a dry hop there is a lot more hop byproducts in the beer other than the desirable ones and that the flavor is going to be "off" until *some* clearing occurs. If that doesn't happen for some reason then I'll fine it but there's really no reason to believe it won't happen.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:41 AM

I am going to assume these are pellets?

I have gone to this for DH'g in the keg.  Not sure it would have helped here though.

httpss://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Siro05emN-E/VMmxhekIymI/AAAAAAAAIRo/-W7UDu1CvpI/w486-h864-no/0128151847a.jpg

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:41 AM

Yep pellets. I like that set up you have but like you said I dont think it would have helped. This beer was clear and cold at the time of the closed transfer so I am confident its all from the hops. They are in a fine mesh bag. There is no visable particulate in the beer. Just thickly cloudy. If this doesnt start to clear I think this will be a good time to try Biofine.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:44 AM

I can say I have never had that happen.  Hope it clears up for you

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:07 AM

I can say I have never had that happen. Hope it clears up for you

You shouldn't have that happen since your normal process includes a clarifying step after the dry hop.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:16 AM

You shouldn't have that happen since your normal process includes a clarifying step after the dry hop.

True, but even before I became a Biofine freak!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users