#41 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:14 AM

Looks good. I will say that 2# of D-90 in 5 gallons seems like a lot but I really don't know this style well. You've used the D-90 before right?

Not for a beer that big.

And I still have about 4 bottles left of mine.

#42 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:30 AM

Denny, thanks for the response. It is going to be a biggun huh....

#43 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16613 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:59 AM

Not for a beer that big.

And I still have about 4 bottles left of mine.

I should think about trying this style at some point. It just that it is so much bigger than I normally drink. I would probably bottle it. Do these do well with some time in the bottle?

#44 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:18 AM

It's bigger than what I normally drink too but it's a special occasion :) From what I have read from Denny, he still have 4 bottles from a batch he "done did" in 2012?? I can imagine they have some serious longevity. Not enough hops to begin with to worry about hop loss. The sugar is carrying it I think. It is a big beer and very bottle worthy. It will likely be the one and only to get bottled by me until I do a Christmas batch of some sort. I'm hoping I hit it well with this batch that it will make me want to do it again for Christmas.

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 23 January 2015 - 11:19 AM.

#45 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:12 AM

Well Fellas, I brewed this batch on Sunday only to wake up today with activity in the fermenter (finally). I under achieved my estimated gravity of 1.091 and only hit 1.082. I still pitched all three sacks of 1762. Thinking I might have started too cold ~ 63 f'ish and let it rise in the swamp cooler. Currently bubbling at ~ 70 f. I hope that by the time I get home this evening I'll have double the activity.

#46 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:19 PM

Denny, how much of the liquid stuff do you think you need per 5 gallons to get the correct flavor profile for belgians? I mean, that stuff is expensive and if I were to do a 20 gallon batch I might need 4 bottles to make up the percent sugar. it would be nice to use something cheaper like table sugar in conjunction to ease up on the wallet and still get the flavor you are looking for.

#47 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:09 PM

Perhaps using only using a percentage and then using crystal beat sugar [Whole Foods]?  It appears at Candy Syrup website that beat sugar is there primary ingredient.

#48 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 31 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

I should think about trying this style at some point. It just that it is so much bigger than I normally drink. I would probably bottle it. Do these do well with some time in the bottle?

Mine certainly is.

Well Fellas, I brewed this batch on Sunday only to wake up today with activity in the fermenter (finally). I under achieved my estimated gravity of 1.091 and only hit 1.082. I still pitched all three sacks of 1762. Thinking I might have started too cold ~ 63 f'ish and let it rise in the swamp cooler. Currently bubbling at ~ 70 f. I hope that by the time I get home this evening I'll have double the activity.

63 is fine.  Try to keep it there for at least the first 4-5 days.  Other wise it will take longer to age out the higher alcohols.  1.082 will still get you a big beer since it should finish pretty low.

#49 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:34 AM

Update; I transferred my batch to secondary.  Beautiful mahogany color.  A small taste indicates that this batch is a bit hot right now.  The taste seems pretty nice at this point but hot....  Assuming / hoping that a few 3-weeks in secondary will help this out???

#50 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:03 AM

Update; I transferred my batch to secondary.  Beautiful mahogany color.  A small taste indicates that this batch is a bit hot right now.  The taste seems pretty nice at this point but hot....  Assuming / hoping that a few 3-weeks in secondary will help this out???

It should.

#51 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:00 AM

I judged a beautiful BDS this weekend. Makes me want to brew one soon.

#52 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:20 AM

My batch will be a month old 2/25 (primary/secondary). I am pretty certain it's bottomed out 1.004. I don't say this too much but I can't wait to get it bottled :) I have high hopes for how it tastes now and how it evolves over time.

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 24 February 2015 - 06:21 AM.

#53 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:01 AM

Any updates?

#54 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:17 AM

Any updates?

damn!  bringing it back!

#55 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:24 AM

damn! bringing it back!

That dubbel thread got me thinking of this beer. I would still like to make something like this.

#56 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:51 AM

That dubbel thread got me thinking too!  I still have a few bottles of this beer and it was fantastic.  My only disappointment was that it was a bit under carbed in the bottles.  I might have considered a yeast addition to condition??  Anyway, let's all make a BDSA.  I'm in cause I'm close to out :)

#57 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:56 AM

I've added yeast if I've done an extended secondary but otherwise I haven't had to.

#58 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:03 PM

So good dark fruit flavors, body? I'm thinking about making this or a big stout.

#59 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:39 PM

Very nice dark fruit flavors; raisons, plums, dates.  The body seem(ed) thin at first and hot.  As it aged it mellowed.  Nice malt.

#60 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:29 PM

yeah, it's a big beer and it would need fresh yeast to carbonate properly I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users