#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:50 AM

Hi All, I have a nice pile of Belle Saison slurry and want to make an evening sipper. Toying around with the following. I intend on mashing low in the hopes of dry and crisp and keeping any chance of a cloying taste to zero. I do want a touch of color and a minimal amount of caramel, hence the dark candy sugar and B. Thoughts, laughs, guffaws, suggestions welcome. Ingredients 12 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 74.7 % 2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 12.5 % 4.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 3 1.6 % 1 lbs 8.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 4 9.3 % 5.0 oz Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) Sugar 5 1.9 % 1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 8.1 IBUs 2.00 oz Celeia [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 16.3 IBUs 2.00 oz Strisslespalt [2.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 3.3 IBUs Beer Profile Est Original Gravity: 1.083 Est Final Gravity: 1.009 Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.8 % Bitterness: 27.7 IBUs Est Color: 15.6 SRM

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:44 AM

sounds delicious.

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:47 AM

I'll have to send you some Mr. Evil.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:51 AM

sounds delicious.

Dont know much about the dark strong style but I agree that could be a tasty sipper.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:52 AM

I'll have to send you some Mr. Evil.

you must have heard I love beer.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:59 AM

Dont know much about the dark strong style but I agree that could be a tasty sipper.

I read a style and typically eschew it, in proper Franco Belgian fashion of course :) Trying to keep this one very simple.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

You like your beer like you like your women? :P

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:24 AM

I like my women like my coffee; bitter. Don't tell Karen

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 13 January 2015 - 11:25 AM.

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:32 AM

Ditch the candi sugar and use candi syrup.  I'd also recommend WY1762 for the yeast.

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:51 AM

I happen to have a tube of D-90, what do you think about that?

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:19 PM

I'll let Denny answer but I think he may just be trying to get you closer to style with that yeast. I have used the D-90 in Saison and Belgian Dubbel and I like the flavor of it quite a bit.

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:23 PM

It's definitely high end compared to a Belgian dark rocks... but I had them on hand. Funny. The change out of the rocks to the D-90 would call for the whole pound to keep close to my gravity...... But hey....

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:11 PM

I happen to have a tube of D-90, what do you think about that?

Perfect!

It's definitely high end compared to a Belgian dark rocks... but I had them on hand. Funny. The change out of the rocks to the D-90 would call for the whole pound to keep close to my gravity...... But hey....

Yep, use all the D-90.  You'll get the real BDSA flavor from it.  Rocks really add nothing but gravity points.  And if you want to stay close to the BDSA style, use 1762 instead of a saison yeast.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:27 PM

Perfect!   Yep, use all the D-90.  You'll get the real BDSA flavor from it.  Rocks really add nothing but gravity points.  And if you want to stay close to the BDSA style, use 1762 instead of a saison yeast.

Thanks D, I really appreciate your input. As for the yeast, I'm trying to NOT buy anything until I deplete my on hand supplies. So I may use the Belle Saison slurry. If this batch turns out well then I'd try and dupe it with 1762. Or maybe I'll shoot the lock off the wallet and get the 1762. Anything else jump out at you that doesn't fit?

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:03 PM

It certainly won't suck with saison yeast!  It would be closer to style and possibly a bit more enjoyable with the 1762.  But the saison yeast is in no way a deal breaker!

#16 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:47 PM

I'd put the sugars in after 3-4 days of fermentation, ala how I do standard saisons.  Dries it out, keeps the body.

#17 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:48 PM

It certainly won't suck with saison yeast!  It would be closer to style and possibly a bit more enjoyable with the 1762.  But the saison yeast is in no way a deal breaker!

You know how neat it is to read your repy tonight as I have just sat down with a glass of Saison, and my copy of Experimental Homebrewing on the arm of the chair ready to be enjoyed.

#18 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:04 AM

I'd put the sugars in after 3-4 days of fermentation, ala how I do standard saisons.  Dries it out, keeps the body.

I've never found any difference in doing that, so I just put them in the kettle and get it over with.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

I've never found any difference in doing that, so I just put them in the kettle and get it over with.

do you think there could be an advantage in terms of letting the yeast grow before adding more fermentables?  for an upcoming sort of high gravity beer I was planning on adding the sugar after a couple of days of fermentation so that I wasn't pushing my 2 packets of US-05 as close to the edge of what they can handle.

#20 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:31 AM

do you think there could be an advantage in terms of letting the yeast grow before adding more fermentables?  for an upcoming sort of high gravity beer I was planning on adding the sugar after a couple of days of fermentation so that I wasn't pushing my 2 packets of US-05 as close to the edge of what they can handle.

Not if you pitch enough healthy yeast in the first place.  What's the OG you're going for, both with and without the sugar?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users