#1 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:17 AM

So, I recently picked up three 3-gallon carboys real cheap, and I want to fill them with big beers that will need extended aging. To that end i wanna do some parti-gyle batches. Right now I'm thinking a red/impy red, belgian triple/pale ale, and a old ale/mild ale. First up is the red.Working off this recipe, I put together the following batch:Total Yield: 10.5 gallons of 1.050 wort SRM 1616# Rahr 1L 3# Munich 10L1# 10oz Crystal 80L12oz Special B 220LSo first 14 qts go to the impy for an OG around 1.075 and the following 28 qts go to the small beer for 7 gals (pre-boil) of 1.037 wort.1st question: Did I do my math right?2nd question: I would like to beef up the small beer just a tad, maybe add .005-.01 to the OG. Capping with some crystal comes to mind... any suggestions in regards to color? what about some belgian biscuit? Intuition tells me keep the cap grains >20L, is that right? What about adding cane or candy sugar?advice+experiences please!

#2 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:15 PM

As far as the math goes it seems reasonable to me. Another way to boost your smaller beer would be to boost the overall grain bill and collect enough wort to hit your target OG on the smaller impy red by topping up with 1/2 to 1 gallons water in the kettle. Then your second batch will have a higher OG as a result. My guess is every system is a little different, so the first time you do a parti-gyle you may want to go slow and measure the OG of your runnings and make adjustments with water. At least that's what I plan to do for an old-ale parti-gyle a buddy and I have planned. When you get around to the old ale please post your recipe here as I'd like to see your ideas.

First up is the red.Working off this recipe, I put together the following batch:Total Yield: 10.5 gallons of 1.050 wort SRM 1616# Rahr 1L 3# Munich 10L1# 10oz Crystal 80L12oz Special B 220LSo first 14 qts go to the impy for an OG around 1.075 and the following 28 qts go to the small beer for 7 gals (pre-boil) of 1.037 wort.1st question: Did I do my math right?2nd question: I would like to beef up the small beer just a tad, maybe add .005-.01 to the OG. Capping with some crystal comes to mind... any suggestions in regards to color? what about some belgian biscuit? Intuition tells me keep the cap grains >20L, is that right? What about adding cane or candy sugar?advice+experiences please!

#3 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25198 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

I didn't check your math but the mosher tables are easy enough to find if you haven't already. I would suggest staying with malt to cap the small beer, typically it is lighter in body to begin with, so sugar is less appropriate. But sugar will work if that's the route you want to go. Definitely have some DME on hand in case you miss your numbers, and take a lot of notes to help you get it dialed in for next time. My last partygyle was a tripel/pilsner partygyle in january, turned out well. Good luck!

#4 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:46 PM

Increasing the grain bill is not an option as I will be pushing tun limits as it is. These days its looking more and more like i'll be needing a new one soon...But yeah, DME, I don't know why I didn't think of it.No comments on how cap grains might affect color? will I even get much color addtion from them if I add after the sac rest?

#5 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:49 PM

No comments on how cap grains might affect color? will I even get much color addtion from them if I add after the sac rest?

I don't see why you wouldn't get color from them - would be similar to steeping specialty grains in a partial grain process I'd think. Some crystal malts make sense to me.

#6 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25198 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:24 AM

yeah you'll definitely get color from cap grains. I haven't done it but I bet you could make a stout out of 2d runnings by capping with a pound of rb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users