42 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

I picked some of this up for something else but the smallest bag I could find was 2.2 lbs. Is this the stuff that people put into light beers, cream ales, etc? I have heard of people using this stuff and I was wondering if this was the right stuff, what percentage of the grain bill people use, if it needed to be 'prepared' somehow and what it did for the runoff? I seem to remember DJ saying that he made a nice cream ale with something similar and I'm a stranger in a strange land on this one. I could see some sort of easy drinking cream ale with this stuff, some noble or mild American hops and White Labs 01 or something similar.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:58 PM

Ah, I see that my info was in another masa thread. This stuff is "selected corn treat with lime" and it appears that you can just use it in the mash.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:27 PM

The wife usually has several types of cornmeal/masa around.  I use whatever is around and simply add it to the mash.  No gluten so it's very unlikely to have a stuck mash IME.  I have a porter recipe around that uses it.  Sounds dumb - tastes nice.  I need to find it and brew again this winter.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:40 PM

The wife usually has several types of cornmeal/masa around.  I use whatever is around and simply add it to the mash.  No gluten so it's very unlikely to have a stuck mash IME.  I have a porter recipe around that uses it.  Sounds dumb - tastes nice.  I need to find it and brew again this winter.

DJ: I'm glad you stopped in here. I just put a 'cream ale' recipe together and my 'masa harina' came out to 22% of the grain bill. Is there anything else I should consider when using this stuff? I punched in my recipe using 'flaked maize' for the masa and I just wonder about the yield or how to account for it in the recipe. I plan to use 2 pounds in 5 gallons. Cheers & thanks.

#5 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:32 PM

DJ: I'm glad you stopped in here. I just put a 'cream ale' recipe together and my 'masa harina' came out to 22% of the grain bill. Is there anything else I should consider when using this stuff? I punched in my recipe using 'flaked maize' for the masa and I just wonder about the yield or how to account for it in the recipe. I plan to use 2 pounds in 5 gallons. Cheers & thanks.

That sounds fine to me.  I usually use Tastybrew for recipes and use whatever corn/maize option there is.  Haven't used flaked maize in years - too easy to pick up stuff at the grocery store.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:26 PM

That sounds fine to me.  I usually use Tastybrew for recipes and use whatever corn/maize option there is.  Haven't used flaked maize in years - too easy to pick up stuff at the grocery store.

I agree and I also use Tastybrew (as outdated and lacking in grains and hops as it is...) so I used flaked maize when designing the recipe. I wouldn't lose sleep if my OG was low, high etc. as long as it was relatively close to flaked maize. Thanks for the help.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 09 December 2014 - 06:26 PM.

#7 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:00 PM

I agree and I also use Tastybrew (as outdated and lacking in grains and hops as it is...) so I used flaked maize when designing the recipe. I wouldn't lose sleep if my OG was low, high etc. as long as it was relatively close to flaked maize. Thanks for the help.

Hops? No biggee since you can change the AAUs.  Available grains/adjuncts usually get me close enough for gravity and color.

Guess I'm a cheap old fart set in my ways.........  I need to make a few batches again figuring by hand on a Big Chief Tablet.  B)

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:35 AM

I saw in one of the other MASA threads that someone (you?) said the kitchen smelled like you were making tamales. That would be nice because I don't seem to get any 'corn' character at all from flaked maize. Nothing. No aroma, no flavor, nothing. I don't necessarily want my cream ale to taste like tamales but it would be great if the masa harina would contribute some character. Cheers and thanks.

#9 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:09 AM

I'd suggest rice hulls.Ken, care to share the recipe? I'm working on a Double Cream Ale right now that will include equal percentages of Flaked Corn and Barley.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:17 AM

I'd suggest rice hulls.Ken, care to share the recipe? I'm working on a Double Cream Ale right now that will include equal percentages of Flaked Corn and Barley.

DJ mentioned that his runoff was smooth but someone else mentioned they got stuck. I don't have rice hulls so I'll either risk it or go grab some.On the recipe, I'm thinking very simple. I recognize that I have been making and designing quite a few light styles lately and that is a result of having some recently-made light styles come out so nicely. I realize it's winter but I keep playing with these like a kid with a new toy. I was thinking along the lines of...Four Corners Cream Ale6.5 lbs Avangard German Pilsner1.5 lbs Masa Harina1.0 lbs Best Malz German Munich 10L.85 oz Mt. Hood pellets @ 5.5% for 60 mins (about 20 IBU).15 oz Mt. Hood pellets @ 5.5% for 15 mins.50 oz German Hallertau pellets @ 2.7% for 5 minsWhite Labs 01 California ale yeastOG: 1.052, FG: 1.011, IBU: 23, SRM: 4-5, ABV: 5.0%Single infusion mash at 150° for 60 mins. 100% filtered tap water with 3.5g of CaCl added. Fermented in the low 60s. I figured that an American beer should have American hops but I couldn't resist adding Hallertau at the end although I could easily see me using Mt. Hood in that late addition too.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 10 December 2014 - 09:18 AM.

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:31 AM

Ken, that looks nice. Mine is similar but totally different. I like the idea of mashing low'ish too.Type # %/IBU8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 72.7 %2 lbs Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 18.2 %8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3 4.5 %8.0 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 4 4.5 %1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 31.5 IBUs1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 3.5 IBUs1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 3.0 IBUs1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:38 AM

I'm going to get the water filtered and the grains ready (today) and make this beer tomorrow. It's supposed to be in the low 40s here on Saturday. I'm going to ferment it relatively cool and then send it to secondary so it can clear up (not sure if the masa harina will cause cloudiness or not) and then keg it and try to time it so it's on tap when (if?) the weather improves. This is a first-run with the masa harina so wish me luck! Cheers and thanks to everyone in here for the direction.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

Good Luck Friend! I can't wait to hear about how the masa works. The batch I posted above has turned into a super cream ale 6.8% and is a week out of kegging. Beautifully clean, yellow and cleaaaar!!!!!!!!!! An easily quaffable beer and then BANG TO THE HEAD!!!

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 16 January 2015 - 10:16 AM.

#14 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:54 AM

Wonder if the lime will affect pH?  I've used cornstarch and instant grits, but not masa.

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:57 AM

Ken, Looks like I'm not the only one thinking summer beer in January!

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:02 PM

Wonder if the lime will affect pH?  I've used cornstarch and instant grits, but not masa.

I'm going to back off on the original shot of acid to the mash water and then watch as I take the pH reading from the MT. If it's good, I'll leave it and if it needs a little extra, I'll adjust it. I believe my final recipe has this masa harina at 16.7% of the grain bill.

Ken, Looks like I'm not the only one thinking summer beer in January!

I'm always late on this. I usually start making spring and summer beers too late so this year I'm getting a head start. Plus, I'm looking forward to using this stuff in a beer.Cheers!

#17 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:23 PM

What is the brand name of the masa harina ?

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

What is the brand name of the masa harina ?

Maseca Instant Yellow Corn Flour.I originally bought it because a chili recipe I had called for it. The chili came out nicely and I really liked the contribution from the masa harina. I still have a bunch of it and I remember DJ and Macbrak mentioning using it in their cream ale.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 16 January 2015 - 01:34 PM.

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:49 PM

Hey so let me ask you guys something... just filtered my water and measured and crushed my grains for tomorrow's brewday and I also measured out 1½ pounds of this masa harina. Looking at that amount of it I started getting a little concerned about runoff. I know DJ said his was okay and that with the masa being gluten free, it should not gum up. I'm not sure that gluten is the only reason things gum up but I would like to avoid a stuck runoff if possible. But... I have no rice hulls. Does anyone envision something I could put into the mash to help? Something that every homebrewer has or even something that every GUY has? Am I being paranoid for no reason? All matter of loud expletives escape my mouth when I have to stir, recirc and attempt to drain again.  :blush:  FTR, I have left my mill at its factory setting gap of .36 (I think) which means that I do not have an uber-fine crush... which may help.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 16 January 2015 - 02:50 PM.

#20 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:54 PM

Tough call. No point in reiterating rice hulls. And swearing is not that bad of a thing to do with a stuck/slow runoff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users