#1 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:21 AM

I know, I know, enough with the pictures already Thirsty, we have all seen it before...but this one was realllly cool. Nice light pilsner malt and the floaties were the size of goldfish! Some nice egg drop soup working here. Posted Image

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:31 AM

Ah, that looks nice Amigo. I had a similar situation with a pils where I ran out of propane and the brewpot sat for about an hour while I got another tank. I had these giant blobs of break material that styaed for the rest of the boil. That will probably end up being a nice, clear beer when it's in your glass. What kind of beer is it? Recipe? Ingredients? Cheers!

#3 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

The best I've seen was from the Pale Ryeder Palm Sugar Rye Tripel I had on tap at MBC.Between the rye and loads of Pils malt, the hot break wadded up into bouncy balls.

#4 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:01 AM

That will probably end up being a nice, clear beer when it's in your glass. What kind of beer is it? Recipe? Ingredients? Cheers!

It is a Belgian blond. I am putting it on a 3rd generation Wyeast Ardennes, and fermenting cool at 66. 15 gallon boil, 13 gallon batch 25# Rahr pilsner.5 # white wheat.5 # aromatic.5 # munich 10L.5 # honey malt3 # cane sugar st 15 min3 oz Tettnang whole at 602 oz Hallertau whole at 30My preboil was 14P, that was before my sugar addition, so it should be a nice big busty blond.I am bored I have no brew buddies today. Here is a pic of the finished product"Posted Image

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:29 AM

Yum! Have fun with the brewday!

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:06 PM

Thirsty, Love that completely open keg boil kettle. I really need to do that to mine. What a nice day to brew. I will be doing a wet hop IPA with 52 oz of homegrown tomorrow.

#7 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:49 PM

Thirsty, Love that completely open keg boil kettle. I really need to do that to mine. What a nice day to brew. I will be doing a wet hop IPA with 52 oz of homegrown tomorrow.

Is that 52 like Five-Two oz of hops? Like over 3 pounds? NIce, I likey.Yeah my dad did the keg conversion for me, and being a sheet metal worker for 35 years he couldnt leave well enough alone, so he attacked the ring and it is so much nicer now. Smooth as a baby's butt.

#8 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:57 PM

I had a very similar situation with my Kolsch today. It's been sooo long since I've made a clear (in color I mean) beer that I haven't even noticed much hot break.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:30 PM

Is that 52 like Five-Two oz of hops? Like over 3 pounds? NIce, I likey.Yeah my dad did the keg conversion for me, and being a sheet metal worker for 35 years he couldnt leave well enough alone, so he attacked the ring and it is so much nicer now. Smooth as a baby's butt.

Yup .. 52!!! it calculates to 293 IBU .. but from what I read it will be like 55-65 in reality. we will see ..LOL .. i hope it comes out good!

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:50 PM

Thirsty, Love that completely open keg boil kettle. I really need to do that to mine.

I didn't notice that at first...that must have been serious work with the angle grinder!

#11 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:21 PM

Wet hops contain in the neighborhood of 80% w/w moisture, as opposed to dried which are more in the 6% range.While you are using 52oz, it will brew more like 10oz...still no slouch!

#12 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:25 PM

Wet hops contain in the neighborhood of 80% w/w moisture, as opposed to dried which are more in the 6% range.While you are using 52oz, it will brew more like 10oz...still no slouch!

hops are overrated :P

#13 Salsgebom

Salsgebom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:53 AM

Nice boil pH, Thirsty

#14 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:19 AM

I didn't notice that at first...that must have been serious work with the angle grinder!

Yeah what he did was made perpendicular cuts with a sawzall every 2 inches or so into the leftover ring, to create flower petel-like tabs. Clamped each tab down with vicegrips and worked the tab up and down til it snapped flush at the point of the seam around the edge. After snapping them all off, just a slight roughness was left behind, and he attacked that wit a big ole grinder until smooth.

#15 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:12 PM

It 's the Pilsner!

#16 Darterboy

Darterboy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • LocationVestavia Hills, Alabama

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:22 AM

Ah, that looks nice Amigo. I had a similar situation with a pils where I ran out of propane and the brewpot sat for about an hour while I got another tank. I had these giant blobs of break material that styaed for the rest of the boil. That will probably end up being a nice, clear beer when it's in your glass. What kind of beer is it? Recipe? Ingredients? Cheers!

I've had the same experience. I wonder if this is worth doing intentionally to get a better hot break? Bring the wort to a boil, cover (or not) and let sit at near boiling for 15-30 minutes and then proceed with a boil. Might make for clearer beers. What do y'all think?

#17 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:39 AM

hops are overrated :cheers:

Don't let Miller know... they just spent a shi*load of cash on the Triple Hopped Ad Campagin!

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:01 AM

Don't let Miller know... they just spent a shi*load of cash on the Triple Hopped Ad Campagin!

I tripple hopped the IPA .. if it comes out like Miller I am selling everything I have ..LOL :cheers:

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:23 AM

I've had the same experience. I wonder if this is worth doing intentionally to get a better hot break? Bring the wort to a boil, cover (or not) and let sit at near boiling for 15-30 minutes and then proceed with a boil. Might make for clearer beers. What do y'all think?

I mentioned this in another thread someplace... wondering if it's actually a GOOD THING that the boil stopped. IIRC, I had about 20 mins left to go when the flame stopped. WHen I got the new tank, I got the temp back up to boiling and proceeded with the last 20 mins... but I noticed all of the break material (some the size of golf balls) that stayed in the boil for the duration. Pretty wild.

#20 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:21 AM

I tripple hopped the IPA .. if it comes out like Miller I am selling everything I have ..LOL :cheers:

don't worry, I'm sure the amount of hops you used for your 5 gallon batch is equal in weight to what they use for each batch... you know... so they can in fact say "triple hopped" without it being a lie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users