#1 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:02 PM

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]I've been trying to duplicate the spiced pecans we used to get from relatives in Houston. I got pretty close with this:[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]3 tablespoons butter[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce [/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]1.5 teaspoons ground cumin [/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]2 teaspoons ground coriander [/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]1.5 teaspoon chili powder [/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]1 teaspoon cayenne[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]2 teaspoons salt[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]3 teaspoons sugar[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]4 cups (about 1 lb) raw pecan halves[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Melt butter and add everything but the pecans and stir together. Pour over pecans and mix well. Spread out on a baking sheet and bake at 300F for 20 minutes, stirring after 10.[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Note: We eat a lot of spicy food, so cut down on the cayenne if you don't want so much zing. [/color]

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:14 AM

I usually am roasting almonds.  think this would work for those?

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:37 AM

also - any storage issues b/c of the butter?  I typically make 6 cups at a time and that usually lasts 1-2 weeks.

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:12 AM

I keep a container with butter in it on the counter and spread it on stuff all the time.  I have never had an issue with spoilage.  

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:05 AM

I keep a container with butter in it on the counter and spread it on stuff all the time.  I have never had an issue with spoilage.  

wasn't sure if anything changed with butter after cooking.

#6 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:27 PM

Ever eat a cookie?

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:14 PM

fair point.

so I made this recipe with almonds.  it's tasty but I think the almonds aren't good enough at picking up the other ingredients (no nooks and crannies like a pecan has) so that was a little bit of an issue.  the flavor is good but there just isn't enough of it on the nuts.  so I'd recommend people use pecans as specified.

my go to almond recipe is still the one that stain posted.  I'm going to work on something kind of "holiday inspired" in the near future though.  If it works out I'll post it up.

#8 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:10 PM

No issue with spoilage but they don't seem to last much more than a couple of weeks. They're kind of addictive. Sorry the almonds didn't work. I'd have said to give it a try but I can see your point with the crooks and nannies.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:22 AM

No issue with spoilage but they don't seem to last much more than a couple of weeks. They're kind of addictive. Sorry the almonds didn't work. I'd have said to give it a try but I can see your point with the crooks and nannies.

one of the reasons stains recipe seems to work for almonds might be that it uses maple syrup which makes everything stick pretty well.  although I'd think sugar mixed with the liquid in recipe would have a similar effect.  perhaps not...

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 March 2020 - 07:22 AM

jK1c2DR.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users