Photo
- - - - -

So maybe it's time to try something different....

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:11 PM

I was looking over my notes last night and for the last year or more all that I have brewed have been hoppy American ales and I have delved into the lager realm.  I think it's time to change it up a bit.  I haven't had or made a good English ale for a long time.  I think I'd like to try a new British yeast and I'd like to use EKG, Challenger or some other great British hop I haven't used before.  So here's what I've used for yeast : S04, 1968, 1098, 002, and 1187.  As for hops all I have ever used in Bitters have been Northdown, Target, US Goldings and Willamette. 

Personally I'd like to hear what others think of London III - 1318, West Yorkshire 1849, or British II 1335 or any others that you may personally like or have had success with. 

Also I know what I'll hear about using EKG but what about other varieties like Brambling Cross, WGV, Challenger, etc...

As for a grain bill I was thinking on the lines of MO / Pale Ale malt , British Crystal 60-150, a touch of wheat malt (maybee).

Ready................... set .......................... GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:41 PM

I'm with ya JP. I've never brewed a really good EPA or EIPA. I want to brew something like St. Peters IPA. Im thinking all golden promise and first gold hops. I'm at a loss for the yeast tho.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54189 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:13 PM

I brew these often enough but stick to the script, generally speaking. Something like Target or even Nugget to bitter and then EKGs, sometimes Styrian Goldings (a lovely hop) and US Kents work nicely too. MO, some TF&S Dark crystal, maybe torrified wheat. I think the W. Yorkshire is 1469 but don't quote me. I have used it and I like it. The only other yeast that I have used that is not on your list is 1099 Whitbread and I love it. It's still clean & neutral but it's got a bit more of that bready, minerally character and it drops like a MOFO too.

Edited by KenLenard, 01 November 2014 - 03:13 PM.

#4 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:35 PM

London Ale III in a Dark mild.  I use WGV for the hop charge

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:33 PM

London Ale III in a Dark mild. I use WGV for the hop charge

Kegging mine tomorrow :-)

#6 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:00 PM

I'm with ya JP. I've never brewed a really good EPA or EIPA. I want to brew something like St. Peters IPA. Im thinking all golden promise and first gold hops. I'm at a loss for the yeast tho.

True Brit by Summit is a nice EIPA.  I really like that one, especially because I can get it nice and fresh.  Brewed in St. Paul.

I brew these often enough but stick to the script, generally speaking. Something like Target or even Nugget to bitter and then EKGs, sometimes Styrian Goldings (a lovely hop) and US Kents work nicely too. MO, some TF&S Dark crystal, maybe torrified wheat. I think the W. Yorkshire is 1469 but don't quote me. I have used it and I like it. The only other yeast that I have used that is not on your list is 1099 Whitbread and I love it. It's still clean & neutral but it's got a bit more of that bready, minerally character and it drops like a MOFO too.

Ken isn't 1099 the same as 007?  That yeast is used by several American breweries as a house yeast.  I'd say it must be versitile then.  Jamil is all crazy about the W. Yorkshire.  So I don't know...

#7 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14753 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:18 PM

Seems like my bitter that always did well in comps was MO, crystal 120, and biscuit for the malt bill. Then US Goldings for the hop. 1968 for yeast, dry hop with like 1/4 or 1/2 oz.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54189 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:43 PM

Ken isn't 1099 the same as 007?  That yeast is used by several American breweries as a house yeast.  I'd say it must be versitile then.  Jamil is all crazy about the W. Yorkshire.  So I don't know...

Not sure on the 1099/007 connection. I don't think I have ever used 007.

#9 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:28 PM

Not sure on the 1099/007 connection. I don't think I have ever used 007.

I was wrong... it was 1098/007 being the same.  I've never been able to find 1099 in stock.  I woulld like to try it some time.

#10 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:48 AM

True Brit by Summit is a nice EIPA.  I really like that one, especially because I can get it nice and fresh.  Brewed in St...

I'll see if I can get that one. I just finished a 6er of their Saga IPA. Soliid beer. What I liked about St Peters was that it tasted like orange marmalade on toast. Good stuff.

#11 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:01 AM

I was always a Wlp002 loyalist, but I wanted something with a character more like the non-Fullers bitters I've had (I've had hundreds). Landlord is such a classic, with a great yeast profile, so I started using the West Yorkshire strain. That is the best British yeast I have used. What great character.Brambling Cross is my favorite British finishing hop, and it is used in many Bitters. I have heard a couple British brewers comment that they thought it was the best British flavor hop. Cavman is a big fan of Challenger, and I agree. That makes a good buttering hop and has great flavor. They both have a bit if a woody character with different fruity notes.

#12 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14753 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:14 AM

I used the WLP006 Bedford strain on a bitter and a porter. That's got a nice British flavor as well.I also liked 007 a lot. Similar profile to 002/1968, but a lot more attenuation

#13 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:08 AM

Kegging mine tomorrow :-)

Report back!

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16679 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:29 AM

I am drinking two bitters right now. The Landlord one with GP and West Yorkshire 1469 in the recipe section. 1469 is really nice and definitely worth a try if you haven't used it. The other is an 3.7% OB with Bramling Cross. Interesting hop. It's got a twang to it like most american hops but I also get a little dark fruit and spice with it. It is a subtle hop for sure. I used 70g in the whirlpool and while I got plenty of twang from it the other flavors are much more subtle, but nice.

BTW, 2013 Bramling is on sale at Farmhouse right now for 3.80/4oz.

No love for Fuggles? I love the EKG/Fuggles combination.

I have really liked the combination of MO and Victory in a malt bill.

True Brit by Summit is a nice EIPA. 

You turned me on to that one. It's a nice beer. Mostly EKG if I remember?

I just finished a 6er of their Saga IPA. Soliid beer. 

Yeah that is a nice beer. I had a few for the first time on Halloween and liked it quite a bit. Maybe too fruity for John? Dunno.

What I liked about St Peters was that it tasted like orange marmalade on toast. Good stuff.

EKG/First Gold with MO and a touch of victory or biscuit which I find to have a little sharper, drier toasty flavor. Just guessing here on how to create that flavor.

Edited by nettles, 02 November 2014 - 09:46 AM.

#15 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:15 AM

I'll see if I can get that one. I just finished a 6er of their Saga IPA. Soliid beer. What I liked about St Peters was that it tasted like orange marmalade on toast. Good stuff.

Saga is fruity.  It's pretty solid but I'm not a huge fan... When they decided to start making Saga they also messed with their Horizon Red recipe and included Mosiac.... WRECKED one of my favorite commercial brews.  Overall, Summit makes some very nice beers, can't wait for the winter ale to come out.  Love that stuff.

#16 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:16 AM

I like EKG and Fuggles, and I use a lot of EKG. It's nice to try some of the other hops, though. There are some really interesting alternatives.I just used the West Yorkshire yeast in a Brown Porter with EKG, which came out fantastic. I had 2 pints out of the fermenter.I used Wlp007 twice. I got phenolics the first time, but figured something went wrong and tossed the yeast. The next time I tried it I got phenolics again. I've never heard anyone else complain about that with this yeast, so it was probably an unfortunate coincidence, old Campden or some such, but it soured me for that yeast.

Edited by Brauer, 02 November 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#17 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:08 PM

Saga is fruity. It's pretty solid but I'm not a huge fan... When they decided to start making Saga they also messed with their Horizon Red recipe and included Mosiac.... WRECKED one of my favorite commercial brews. Overall, Summit makes some very nice beers, can't wait for the winter ale to come out. Love that stuff.

Man I love Saga, but I have no problems with fruity IPA's. I will be happily drinking that nectar in a couple months.

#18 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:44 PM

So it sounds like it all depends here on whether I order online or go local... If I order it'll be 1469 - West Yorkshire and Brambling Cross or if I go local it'll be WLP002 and EKG and possibly Fuggles.

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16679 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:30 PM

So it sounds like it all depends here on whether I order online or go local... If I order it'll be 1469 - West Yorkshire and Brambling Cross or if I go local it'll be WLP002 and EKG and possibly Fuggles.

To my palate EKG and Fuggles will be more decidedly English than Bramling Cross if that's what you are going for. If you don't know wether or not you like Fuggles maybe go 2:1 EKG Fuggles? Fuggles is distinctive and I'll bet it will be familiar to you when you taste it. Both those yeasts are very nice. In general I think 1469 is a bit more complex and bready.

What kind of OG are you shooting for?

#20 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:26 PM

To my palate EKG and Fuggles will be more decidedly English than Bramling Cross if that's what you are going for. If you don't know wether or not you like Fuggles maybe go 2:1 EKG Fuggles? Fuggles is distinctive and I'll bet it will be familiar to you when you taste it. Both those yeasts are very nice. In general I think 1469 is a bit more complex and bready.

What kind of OG are you shooting for?

1.045 ish... More in the realm of a Best bitter than an ESB/EPA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users