32 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:11 PM

Anyone else see the 64oz stainless growler for $11.93?  I put that, 1# of melanoidin, and a carbonator cap in the cart and it seems they want to make up for the deal in shipping. 22$ to ship to me from Minneapolis which is only 4 hrs from here. UPS Ground. Nah.

To be honest, it's one reason I stopped ordering from MW. They used to gouge the living crap out of you on shipping and apparently some people complained. MW then sent out a splashy email saying WOW! NEW DEAL! WE NOW CHARGE YOU THE ACTUAL SHIPPING COST AND NOTHING MORE! Which means that for X amount of time, they were making money on the shipping. It peeved me enough to shop elsewhere.

#22 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:24 PM

Those of you who got that for $17 stole it. I've had it for ~6yrs and love it. Had a tough time getting the hoses to seal and added one extra clamp to each hose and tightened them while they were hot. Great chiller.

#23 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:36 PM

Those of you who got that for $17 stole it. I've had it for ~6yrs and love it. Had a tough time getting the hoses to seal and added one extra clamp to each hose and tightened them while they were hot. Great chiller.

I've had the out side slide off while chilling. Its kind of funny unless someone gets hit with 180f water.

#24 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:40 PM

I've had the out side slide off while chilling. Its kind of funny unless someone gets hit with 180f water.

Out side was the problem on mine too. I thought about taking them off and gluing them on with Gorilla glue. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea on a new purchase.

#25 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:51 PM

Out side was the problem on mine too. I thought about taking them off and gluing them on with Gorilla glue. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea on a new purchase.

Before I switched to a different chiller. I thought about using compression fittings and hose connection. I nefer got around to it. Last time I used that chiller it was in a bucket like a jockey box. I was serving Berliner weiss. 3.5 volumes at like 20 psi.

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:56 PM

Got my shipping confirmation. Looks like they made good on shipping the chiller.

#27 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:05 PM

Got my shipping confirmation. Looks like they made good on shipping the chiller.

Good deal! I'm kicking myself now. I planned on ordering it when I got home from work that day but it was fixed by then.

#28 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:46 PM

Showed up today. They actually upgraded it. Nice 2 piece brass flare connectors with nice spring clamps on the barbed ends. It should work great as an IC right out of the boxafter you tighten everything. And they flared the SS tubing to match. With the extra hardware it's not a bad deal at the regular price.I cut it off and saved the parts. McMaster delivered brass QDs that match my system yesterday. They're sweated on and ready to brew tomorrow.

Edited by djinkc, 17 October 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#29 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:55 PM

Helluva deal there!  Wow!  Does SS transfer heat faster than CU?

#30 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:57 PM

Helluva deal there!  Wow!  Does SS transfer heat faster than CU?

No, slower but really insignificant for homebrewers.

#31 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:42 AM

Not a bad piece of equipment, especially for the price.

httpss://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10599718_10153438591969657_8868643682085833562_n.jpg?oh=a0c23ec63c677186cf83c2b0c5b45a03&oe=54BA7B4E.

#32 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:08 PM

Well the cheap regulator from the OP I got has kicked the bucket I think. It doesn't have any adjustment. When you open the tank the pressure just rises until the needle is pegged. The adjustment knob is all the way out. I guess it was cheap enough not to worry about that much.

#33 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:00 PM

Well the cheap regulator from the OP I got has kicked the bucket I think. It doesn't have any adjustment. When you open the tank the pressure just rises until the needle is pegged. The adjustment knob is all the way out. I guess it was cheap enough not to worry about that much.

That makes me think the diaphragm is punctured, and you'd need a rebuild kit. It would probably be easier just to get a new regulator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users