positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:15 PM

Can the brewery be toured?

Where can you buy this beer in the area?

I'm asking for someone else.  Thanks!

Edited by Evil_Morty, 30 September 2014 - 04:15 PM.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:28 PM

No, at least that is what I read beforeAnywhereThis local still has not had it. Major shelf turd, dust on bottles.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:53 PM

No, at least that is what I read beforeAnywhereThis local still has not had it. Major shelf turd, dust on bottles.

so no one is buying it and it's sitting on the shelves?

#4 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:01 PM

It sounds like he's got my problem... too much beer in his cellar so he hasn't gotten around to it yet.  If so, I can relate.  I currently have about 9 cases of beer, cider, mead, and wine in my cellar.  Way too much for one man and a handful of acquaintances.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:33 PM

so no one is buying it and it's sitting on the shelves?

Pretty much. Everyone that wanted to try it has and says it's a good beer but not at the price they are selling it for.

#6 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

Wow... kind of a flop, eh?  If they're smart, they'll develop more recipes while the buzz is still buzzing, if it's not already too late.  New Glarus didn't get huge by making just one meh beer (Spotted Cow for those who didn't know) and limiting distribution to 'Sconsin, no... they developed buzz by developing several super kickbutt beers in addition to the Cow (which ironically I hear pays all the bills) and limiting distribution to 'Sconsin.  One overpriced meh beer sounds like disaster if they don't turn it around.

All this being said.... I would still love to taste this beer for the sake of tasting it.  I have at least taken notes based on several sources and plan to brew a clone myself next year for grins.  Perhaps I'll never know how close I came to the real thing.... might even turn out better than the real thing.  I might never know.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:01 PM

It was stated in pre-release articles that one stipulation they had to have "trappist" approval was to only brew one beer for 5 years. I really hope they are able to change that.If you want some let me know.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:02 PM

Pretty much. Everyone that wanted to try it has and says it's a good beer but not at the price they are selling it for.

so why are they charging so much?  it's not like it has any crazy expensive ingredients.

#9 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:20 AM

I have some here in South Florida,  Its a good beer.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:00 AM

so why are they charging so much?  it's not like it has any crazy expensive ingredients.

You got me.  I am not sure if it is their choice or the choice of their distributor or Chimay?

https://www.bostonma...y-trappist-ale/

"It took some convincing, but eventually their Belgian counterparts offered three conditions for the launch: Build a state-of-the-art brewery with the finest and latest technology, hire a skilled brew engineer, and, for the first five years, make only one type of beer."

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:09 AM

so reading that article it makes me wonder - how automated is your typical brewery like this?  it sounds really industrial with minimal hands on work.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:13 AM

so reading that article it makes me wonder - how automated is your typical brewery like this?  it sounds really industrial with minimal hands on work.

I remember some pictures in Wild Brews of Farmhouse ales of some of the other Trappist breweries and they were automated more than I thought.  But I am not sure about all of them.  I hope that Spencer can survive ( I am sure they will) so they can start putting out some new beers.

If you want any, or your friend let me know.  I know they are moving into more states.  They just recently did a silent move to CT.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:26 AM

I remember some pictures in Wild Brews of Farmhouse ales of some of the other Trappist breweries and they were automated more than I thought.  But I am not sure about all of them.  I hope that Spencer can survive ( I am sure they will) so they can start putting out some new beers.

If you want any, or your friend let me know.  I know they are moving into more states.  They just recently did a silent move to CT.

this guy is a coworker of my wife.  he's just in town for a week for meetings and I guess if he goes to this trappist brewery he'll only have one left to visit in Austria and he will have visited all of the trappist breweries in the world.

I'll probably try some at some point but I'm in no rush at their prices :P

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:31 AM

Thanks to Drezz, I got a 4 pack and I happen to think it's a great Belgian Blonde although that is not what they market it as. I wanted to try it because I like to keep a blonde on tap most of the time. After reading BYO's article I got excited to make a version. It was no where near the original taste but also a very good beer.I think the reason it is so expensive is because they need to recoup some money for the build out of their brewery and as the article mentions, funds raised from the brewery help Spencer maintain independence and also ensure health and welfare to all of the aging monks.I like the beer very much. It's a very simple beer.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:36 AM

Thanks to Drezz, I got a 4 pack and I happen to think it's a great Belgian Blonde although that is not what they market it as. I wanted to try it because I like to keep a blonde on tap most of the time. After reading BYO's article I got excited to make a version. It was no where near the original taste but also a very good beer.I think the reason it is so expensive is because they need to recoup some money for the build out of their brewery and as the article mentions, funds raised from the brewery help Spencer maintain independence and also ensure health and welfare to all of the aging monks.I like the beer very much. It's a very simple beer.

I wonder at what point you realize you will sell more of it at $10 a 4-pack over $15.

#16 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:43 AM

Seems like a very relevant craft beer question to be posed these days.

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 01 October 2014 - 05:43 AM.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:55 AM

Seems like a very relevant craft beer question to be posed these days.

Very true.  I see a lot of stuff sitting around for a lot longer these days and with the barley issues I am sure prices will only creep up more.

#18 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:09 AM

this, got some last weekend and it is a very good beer but unless my sister keeps buying 4 packs for me I doubt I'll be buying it much.

#19 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63974 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:22 AM

It's got pretty good exposure around here, anyway.  Seen on tap at several places in the last couple of months, too.  They're definitely pricing themselves out of volume.  Maybe that's the plan, i don't know.  I'm not sure what volume they can handle.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:28 AM

It's got pretty good exposure around here, anyway.  Seen on tap at several places in the last couple of months, too.  They're definitely pricing themselves out of volume.  Maybe that's the plan, i don't know.  I'm not sure what volume they can handle.

it's a pretty nice looking brewhouse they've got.  I have to think they could really crank it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users