27 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

I've never used it. How much do you use? What other malts does it (not) go well with? What hops does it (not) go well with? What says the board?

#2 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:41 PM

I have used rye a few times. I used 50% 2-row and 50% rye in my “Come Buy” Rye. I made it for my girlfriend’s college grad party. I also had a minikeg of Two Brothers Domane Dupage, and guess which one went first :cheers: . The CBR is still a big hit to anyone who had the fortune of tasting it. I’ve heard of people using up to 70% rye, but can’t speak to their experience. I know 50% is great, but don’t forget the rice hulls. It’s an ABSOLUTE NESESSITY! I also made a clone of two brother’s Cane and Ebil. It’s a red rye-PA. Really tasty stuff to. As to what doesn’t go well with it, I’m not sure but I do love some American hops with it. I use Simcoe in the “Come Buy” and I get a bit of fruitiness, of course that can be the kolsch yeast!

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:45 PM

I have brewed a few beers with Rye, Pale Ales, IPA, I even brewed a Stout two months ago that turned out awesome. It lends a great spiciness I find. It does well with Munich malt and I found it works well with Roasted Barley and Chocolate malt in dark beers too. I have found and read that >20% in a recipe lends a noticeable character. +1 on Rice hulls it can get pretty sticky.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:48 PM

I did a nice rye wheat last year. It was a mix of 2-row, wheat and rye. Came out real nice and had a little more "excitement" to it than a regular wheat.

#5 JimInNJ

JimInNJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:21 PM

I've gone a little over 50%. It goes well with Dark Munich, Caramunich 60, and Rice Hulls -- just enough Sterling and Tettnanger hops to reinforce the spiciness -- and WLP300 for the banana-bread aroma.- Jim

#6 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:29 PM

I used 40% rye malt in my German/American rye ale, with Kolsch yeast, and homegrown Hallertauer hops. Turned out spectacular. It's very full, chewy, and bready. I don't get spiciness from it -- I think the spice came from the hops. Though I guess I could be wrong, as people keep pointing out. I'd stick with 30 to 50% rye and German hops for a good beer. And yes... don't forget the rice hulls. You'll hate yourself if you don't use them.

#7 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13046 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:09 PM

Denny's Rye IPA is always a solid start with rye. People in the brew club ask me about that beer all the time. I need to do another batch.

#8 JimInNJ

JimInNJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:44 PM

OK, you caught me. I put the spicy hops in there to trick the judges. Because to me, rye tastes bready, not spicy. But the style guidelines say spicy, so I gave them what they wanted. It worked too -- got me a silver medal at the PA Renfaire Brewfest.The finished beer actually had the viscosity of prune juice.I currently have a stout in secondary where I used malted rye in place of the flaked barley. Eager to see how that turns out.- Jim

#9 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:16 PM

Denny's Rye IPA is always a solid start with rye. People in the brew club ask me about that beer all the time. I need to do another batch.

+1 for Denny's Rye IPA. One of the better beers ive made so far, IMO.

#10 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:41 AM

The last 9 brews I've done is 10 pound 2-row, 5# Wheat and 5# Rye. Some times a pound of specialty grain. It's become my house beer. I like the spiciness of it. I also like the C hops in it. I use it to replenish my Sour barrel and to mix with the Sour beer. Kolsch and Forbidden fruit yeast makes it good. My biggest pita with the Rye is grinding it. Rye and Wheat is very hard and smaller (Red Wheat) than regular base grain, it bogs down the grain mill. You need at least 40% to get good Rye accents. Since Rye lacks a good haul, you need Rice hauls to prevent sluggish drain off. Same is true with Wheat. I plan to do away with the Wheat and just use Rye on my next grain purchase. It's worth a try, you might like it.

#11 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:36 AM

+1 for Denny's Rye IPA. One of the better beers ive made so far, IMO.

+2. Brewed Denny's beer two weekends ago teaching a friend how to do all grain and its sitting in primary and ready to check the FG. I brewed this beer last year and yes its a great recipe. Love the Rye in it for sure.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:09 AM

+2. Brewed Denny's beer two weekends ago teaching a friend how to do all grain and its sitting in primary and ready to check the FG. I brewed this beer last year and yes its a great recipe. Love the Rye in it for sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't denny's rye only have 3lbs of rye for a 10 gallon batch? Does the rye impact the flavor this much?

#13 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:55 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't denny's rye only have 3lbs of rye for a 10 gallon batch? Does the rye impact the flavor this much?

3lbs for 5 gallonshttps://www.tastybre...um/thread/76127Looks like Denny posted that recipe awhile back. Has to be official and thats the recipe ingredient list I have followed both times. :cheers:

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:58 AM

3lbs for 5 gallonshttps://www.tastybre...um/thread/76127Looks like Denny posted that recipe awhile back. Has to be official and thats the recipe ingredient list I have followed both times. :cheers:

Ah - I see that. Still - that's not a huge percentage (certainly not even close to 40-50%).

#15 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:35 AM

OK, you caught me. I put the spicy hops in there to trick the judges. Because to me, rye tastes bready, not spicy. But the style guidelines say spicy, so I gave them what they wanted. It worked too -- got me a silver medal at the PA Renfaire Brewfest.The finished beer actually had the viscosity of prune juice.

Thank you, Jim, thank you -- I am NOT nuts.

#16 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:41 AM

Thank you, Jim, thank you -- I am NOT nuts.

maybe you are both just the same kind of crazy :cheers:

#17 JimInNJ

JimInNJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:00 AM

Flaked Rye may be another story altogether. A few years ago I sampled a rye beer from a kit at "How Do You Brew" in Newark DE which I believe used flaked rye. It was clean, very pale, light to medium body, and had a snappy ginger-like spiciness that really stood out.- Jim

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:18 AM

So you guys who are recommending rice hulls - how much rye are you using where it becomes necessary? Can I treat it the same as wheat?

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:30 AM

So you guys who are recommending rice hulls - how much rye are you using where it becomes necessary? Can I treat it the same as wheat?

I have done it both ways. I never had a problem without them but seeing I recirculate I wanted to make sure I did not get a stuck sparge. I just throw in a handful like I would with wheat.

#20 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47962 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:14 AM

I got some Rye flour on sale the other day. Just two pounds, but only 75 cents. I think I'll put it in my next pale ale w/ centennial.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users