#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:10 PM

My buddy has tried kettle souring with really good results recently and I think I want to give it a try. Once more, I've had this idea for a beer floating around in my head without a method to do it until now.

Here's the plan.

Make a lacto starter with some MO for kettle souring.

Main Grain Bill - OG 1.045

Maris Otter - 96.5%

Simpson C-55 - 3.5%

Mash at 154 for some residual sweetness.

Drain wort to kettle and add sour starter. Kettle sour for 24 hours.

Cold Steep  - English Light Chocolate Malt, Midnight Wheat, Cocoa Nibs, Vanilla Bean (or extract) for 24 hours.

Boil soured wort. Add nugget to 12.5 IBU at 30 min.

Add Cold Steeped wort at 15 minutes.

Ferment with 1084.

Back sweeten with Lactose and lime juice to taste/mouthfeel.

I think this will get me to where I want. The inspiration for this came from an Oreo Crusted key lime pie I had in St Pete about 7 years ago. It was phenomenal.

#2 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:25 PM

I think it would still achieve your goal without the souring. Brew porter. Add key lime juice, nibs and vanilla to secondary. Keg, carb, enjoy! 

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:32 PM

I think it would still achieve your goal without the souring. Brew porter. Add key lime juice, nibs and vanilla to secondary. Keg, carb, enjoy! 

I don't think I can get the same tartness without the lacto and adding pure lactic acid doesn't seem to create the same sort of flavor profile that the bug puts out. The lime juice has acetic acid too which is vinegary. The amount of juice I'd need might not play well.

#4 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:35 PM

Key lime juice would be citric acid not acetic. You could up the acid sharpness with more citric acid. 

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

You are right. It's citric. I still think I want to kettle sour so it doesn't end up tasting too contrived.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:16 PM

I don't want to threadjack here but this talk about citric acid is interesting. I use lactic acid exclusively for lowering mash & sparge pH but lactic acid has a flavor threshold and if you overdo the acid addition (which I have done), the flavor of lactic acid is not very good. What would you brewing experts say about using citric acid either as a way to lower pH where necessary but also as a flavor component? I have never given this any thought but what kind of tartness or sourness might you get from adding some small amount of it to the brewpot or something? I'm just thinking out loud and I believe I have seen it at my LHBS. How much in 5 gallons for a noticeable twang?

#7 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:40 AM

Seems like citric has more flavor than lactic so probably not a good choice for pH adjustment. It's used in wine making to brighten up the fruit flavor so I think it would be great addition to a fruit beer to help the fruit "pop".

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:06 AM

I don't want to threadjack here but this talk about citric acid is interesting. I use lactic acid exclusively for lowering mash & sparge pH but lactic acid has a flavor threshold and if you overdo the acid addition (which I have done), the flavor of lactic acid is not very good. What would you brewing experts say about using citric acid either as a way to lower pH where necessary but also as a flavor component? I have never given this any thought but what kind of tartness or sourness might you get from adding some small amount of it to the brewpot or something? I'm just thinking out loud and I believe I have seen it at my LHBS. How much in 5 gallons for a noticeable twang?

From  Water: A Comprehensive Guide for Brewers. Paraphrasing… Citric used to be more commonly used for home brewers but was given up because of the strong flavor of the contributing anion (citrate) It is safe and effective for use but had a low flavor threshold of ~150ppm. As a result of fermentation typical beers will exhibit 50-250ppm of citric acid without adding any so using it can quickly put you over that threshold. The do say that the flavor component may benefit some styles such as Belgian Wit.

If you want to minimize the potential flavor impact of the acid you use then go with phosphoric acid. I would recommend the 85% stuff.

#9 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

I was just digging through all the recipes on here and found this one. Seems interesting. Did you ever brew this Schwanz?

#10 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:20 PM

No. I didn't have time. I still haven't ever kettle soured. I might try this at my buddies house though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users