#1 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:25 PM

A co-worker was asking me today about fermenting maple syrup. His grandfather owns a maple shack so he has access to plenty of maple syrup. We talked about it a bit, and it seems to me that it shouldn't be much different than feremnting honey, right?Anyone do it? Recipes? Warnings? Advice?

#2 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:26 PM

IIRC maple syrup is totally fermentable. If you want maple profile you may need to sorbate & backsweeten.

#3 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:27 PM

IIRC maple syrup is totally fermentable.

That is what I thought initially. But I wonder how much carmelization goes on in the boil off process, and what it's effect on fermentability will be. Hoping someone who's done it or know for sure will chime in.

#4 Wayne B

Wayne B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:52 PM

Lots of folks have done it, and many do mixtures of maple syrup and honey (Google "acerglyn" and you'll get some good recipes). Although there is enough carmelization to darken the color during the boil-down, most of that color is from oxidation rather than polysaccharide creation, so it is virtually 100% fermentable right out of the bottle - don't expect any detectable residual sweetness unless your yeast die of ethanol poisoning before they finish the job.

#5 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14962 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:30 AM

don't expect any detectable residual sweetness unless your yeast die of ethanol poisoning before they finish the job.

You say that like it's a bad thing :wub: Also, I'd think you'd have to add nutrients like you do with mead.

#6 Wayne B

Wayne B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:29 AM

You say that like it's a bad thing :P Also, I'd think you'd have to add nutrients like you do with mead.

Well, if you ever had bone dry acerglyn, you might think so.... :wub: Or, were you talking about the ethanol poisoning? I certainly can think of worse things! :D But you're right about the nutrients. Maple syrup has little in the way of nitrogen or vitamins for your yeast.

Edited by Wayne B, 28 August 2009 - 11:31 AM.

#7 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:25 PM

Thanks guys. It sounds like if he were to treat this like making a mead he'd do fine. I'll pass this on.

#8 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:27 AM

Be prepared to let it age for a good long time, at least a few years. The alcohol heat can be a bit much right off the bat.

#9 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11637 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:00 AM

Do people boil down just until it hits the correct OG, or all the way and then add to water?

#10 Wayne B

Wayne B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:23 PM

Most folks only have access to commercial syrup, so they add water to bring the gravity to a point where the yeast will like it. If I had access to maple sap directly, I'd probably do a partial boil-down as you suggest.

#11 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:37 PM

wayne, i will be tapping my maples for the first time this winter, mainly planned on syrup and i've been shown the thickness desired, so you mention a partial boil, using a hydrometer what brix (balling ) would you sugest for making maple mead?

#12 Wayne B

Wayne B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:19 PM

Since the sugars are 100% fermentable, I'd choose a target ABV (say 12% for the sake of argument) and then find out what starting Brix would ferment fully dry leaving your target ABV. For the 12% I mentioned earlier, that would correspond to an initial specific gravity of 1.090, and that's right around 21.5 Brix.If you want more alcohol in the finished product, boil down to a higher starting Brix. I'd plan on any fermentation going fully dry (final gravity in the neighborhood of 0.998 or so), and if you want the final product to be sweeter you can backsweeten with syrup in the same way that we'd backsweeten a mead with honey.

#13 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:52 PM

Since the sugars are 100% fermentable, I'd choose a target ABV (say 12% for the sake of argument) and then find out what starting Brix would ferment fully dry leaving your target ABV. For the 12% I mentioned earlier, that would correspond to an initial specific gravity of 1.090, and that's right around 21.5 Brix.If you want more alcohol in the finished product, boil down to a higher starting Brix. I'd plan on any fermentation going fully dry (final gravity in the neighborhood of 0.998 or so), and if you want the final product to be sweeter you can backsweeten with syrup in the same way that we'd backsweeten a mead with honey.

thanks for the info.

#14 Wayne B

Wayne B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:16 AM

That wouldn't necessarily be true, since boiling down essentially removes pure water, which concentrates the remaining sugars and phenolic resins that give maple syrup its maple-y flavor, but adding water back to syrup that has been fully boiled down, in order to get to a fermentable concentration of sugars, would dilute those resins to about the same amount as the partial boil. The only difference would be that you'd have a little less carmelization (heat-joining of simple sugars into complex) and a little less oxidation, which might slightly change the flavor profile of a fermented brew that was from a partial boil relative to one that had been mixed from fully boiled down syrup. I don't know that it would be enough of a change for most folks to notice.Oh, and the different grades of syrup aren't from different amounts of boil. They rather come from different ratios of sugars to phenolics in the original sap. First runnings are always higher in sugar content, and contain less of the resins, than subsequent runnings from the trees. So the first run syrups are usually the "higher grade" lighter, sweeter, syrups. Although it is true that you do get more carmelization in the later run, lower grades, since the boil has to happen for a longer interval to achieve the final gravity that you're after, since there is less sugar in the sap to begin with.

Edited by Wayne B, 02 September 2009 - 10:20 AM.

#15 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:01 AM

A member of my club made what he called a "Maple Wine" out of boiled down sap and it still had plenty of maple flavor. I thought the stuff was wonderful. It also didn't seem like rocket fuel or sweet. I will have to get some more details at our meeting tomorrow.I have always wanted to try watering down syrup but it's like $55 a gallon. Much more than what I would spend on honey. About twice as much. Someday.

#16 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:30 AM

Bumping an old thread to see if anyone did this. The maple syrup talk in the PH has me looking for an acerglyn recipe

#17 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:49 AM

Bumping an old thread to see if anyone did this. The maple syrup talk in the PH has me looking for an acerglyn recipe

There was a group brew back in the GB days organized by High Test if memory serves. He might still have the recipe/results on his website. Be prepared for a 3-4 year wait before it hits its stride.

#18 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:14 AM

This has given me an idea. Take the syrup and ferment it. Distill that and then backsweeten with the syrup to taste. Age with oak cubes or better yet a barrel. :stabby:

#19 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:30 PM

This has given me an idea. Take the syrup and ferment it. Distill that and then backsweeten with the syrup to taste. Age with oak cubes or better yet a barrel. :frank:

Distilling a sugar wash and then backsweetening would be more cost effective unless you have an excess of syrup

Edited by EWW, 15 April 2011 - 11:32 PM.

#20 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:35 PM

A friend of mine with a sugaring set-up ended up with about 5 gallons of partially boiled sap at the end of the season and he wants to make beer with it. He asked me for advice on how to handle it. I asked him to get the gravity on it. I figure since it's almost 100% fermentable, a nice high mash temp and a good charge of light crystal malt will bring out the maple flavor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users