• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 UGALawDawg

UGALawDawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:58 AM

I predict that's the next "big thing:" Shed-Aged beer!

I'm thinking about making this a new yearly ritual.

#22 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:08 PM

The results are in. This beer is freaking awesome. It is much better than I remember it, and I remember it be pretty darn good. The vanilla has mellowed a bit and now serves to accent the roasty chocolatey flavors, rather than overpowering everything else. I've never let any of my beer age for more than 6 months. Now I am glad I forgot about this beer.

Just goes to show how silly it is how much we baby and worry about our beer. People should bump this thread whenever we get a thread title like this:'OMFG my chest freezer died while I was on vacation, is my beer OK?!?!?!!!'

#23 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:13 PM

Just goes to show how silly it is how much we baby and worry about our beer. People should bump this thread whenever we get a thread title like this:'OMFG my chest freezer died while I was on vacation, is my beer OK?!?!?!!!'

It would only be OK if the freezer was in the shed. Pay attention, dammit! :blush:

#24 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:20 PM

Not true. It's just very rare. Think e-coli is one, seemse there was another, but hops do a pretty good job of inhibiting them. Someone correct me.

e coli can live in wort, but not beer. It doesn't do well with either the pH or the alcohol.Oh, and it is a strict aerobe.BrewBasser

#25 CarlosM

CarlosM

SeƱor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:28 PM

e coli can live in wort, but not beer. It doesn't do well with either the pH or the alcohol.Oh, and it is a strict aerobe.BrewBasser

enlighten us beer man, tell us what are the major downsides of letting beer like this age in the manner it has...are there any possibilities of infection with a ideal pressurized keg?

#26 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28427 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:35 PM

The results are in. This beer is freaking awesome. It is much better than I remember it, and I remember it be pretty darn good. The vanilla has mellowed a bit and now serves to accent the roasty chocolatey flavors, rather than overpowering everything else. I've never let any of my beer age for more than 6 months. Now I am glad I forgot about this beer.

I so predicted this response the second I started this thread. :blush: For the second time today I'm dreaming about the 2005 barleywine I have stashed away that I should have access to this fall...

#27 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:41 PM

enlighten us beer man, tell us what are the major downsides of letting beer like this age in the manner it has...are there any possibilities of infection with a ideal pressurized keg?

I believe it's mostly that there are several compounds in beer that break down over time abd the reaction products are not pleasant tasting, but the decomposition reactions are pretty slow (which is why you can age beer in the first place). Heat just speeds the reaction rate up. As does UV radiation, but being in a keg there is no possibility of that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users