#1 LilSmokey

LilSmokey

Master of TL;DR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3249 posts
  • Locationthe SWATS!

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:54 AM

Alright, I always register to vote in the Republican primary. I don't always vote for the winner of that primary in the general, even if I may have voted for them in the primary. I just know that the R candidate is the most likely to win, so any influence I have is going to be in the primary vote. 

Anyway, my choices for our new Senator from GA are:

a businessman who turned companies around with mass layoffs and has absolutely no political experience or any credentials to tell me he is "in touch" with normal people and their issues.

A woman who is fairly politically experienced, but has the dubious distinction of being endorsed by Sarah Palin and other tea party wing nuts. I like that she has risen up without a college education and has a life story that sounds like she's dealt with some hardship in life (left home at 17, made it the hard way in a man's world, etc).

A congressman from Savannah who seems to be mostly sane with an endorsement from partisan hack, Sean Hannity. 

Plus we have two tea party lunatics who are thankfully being blown out the polls.

Anyway, so I'm not really keen on any of these candidates. I'm waiting to hear more from Michelle Nunn, who has a good shot at my vote in the general. Mostly, I'm wondering if it's worth leaving the house to go vote for any of these clowns. I don't know much about any of them other than the mud they've been throwing at each other in what looks to be the start of a very nasty campaign season. I know Purdue called his opponents babies in one ad, to which the response was him as a fat baby who at too much cake and then apparently shit his pants. That's about the most accurate political picture I've seen. Do I want a baby who's crying because it's not getting its way or the baby who's crying because he crammed too much into his mouth? 

#2 Enid Puceflange

Enid Puceflange

Old Squinty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6565 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

It irritates me that round here the GOP primary is the election - so only a small self selecting minority get to choose at all. And being as I'm not registered as a Republican that minority doesn't include me :)

#3 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19555 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:10 AM

Honestly it doesn't matter IMO.  Perdue has been trying to present himself as a Romney-esque business titan and, like Romney, keeps getting accused of not being rabidly conservative enough, and consistently, his response is to apologize, back-track and explain that its all a misunderstanding and of course he's as conservative as his bug-eyed primary opponents.  So my bet is that even if he wins, he'll vote exactly like all the other tea-party folk, whatever his true beliefs are.  

#4 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112411 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:11 AM

I like that she has risen up without a college education and has a life story that sounds like she's dealt with some hardship in life (left home at 17, made it the hard way in a man's world, etc).

Is this like making five dollars the hard way?

#5 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1973 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

I've met Jack Kingston.  Level headed, willing to compromise for the greater good, fiscally responsible, not a radical right but will keep to the right.

I'd vote for Jack if i lived in GA

#6 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8109 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:58 AM

I think it is.  My understanding is that many democrats are crossing over to the republican primary this year to try to give Paul Braun the win.  That way he will go up against Michelle Nunn Martin and, in their minds, lose.  I dont think Braun is awful, but I think there are better choices.  I also think in a general with him and Michelle, she would have a good chance.

#7 LilSmokey

LilSmokey

Master of TL;DR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3249 posts
  • Locationthe SWATS!

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

I've met Jack Kingston.  Level headed, willing to compromise for the greater good, fiscally responsible, not a radical right but will keep to the right.

I'd vote for Jack if i lived in GA

My research has led me to think the same thing. I don't know that I agree with him on even half of things, but he seems like at least to be a non-insane person who may have lived a normal life at some point in his years. 

Is this like making five dollars the hard way?

Possibly. I mainly just meant that unlike most people in politics, she didn't enjoy a life of privilege. That being said about 15 minutes of reading made me terrified of her being in power.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: politics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users