#1 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42029 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:22 PM

I keep reading on how people get xx% efficiency. how exactly do you know?

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:01 AM

I use Beersmith for all my recipes and brewing so I never think much of the calculation of efficiency. I just fill in the requirements and calculate. Here is a link that talks about the calculations. Hopefully this will get you going in the right direction. I am sure others will follow on this thread. Good Luck. My suggestion brewing software it takes the guesswork out of it. Efficencies

#3 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:00 AM

I use my spreadsheet which will calculate my mash and brewhouse efficiencies based on my measurements. I got my math here - Understanding and Calculating Efficiencies: https://hbd.org/uchi...efficiency.html

#4 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:04 AM

I use free online software - beer calc and fiddle with the eff. on the site until it matches the OG for volume that I get when I brew.If I get an OG of 1.050 from 9 lbs of grain when I measure with a hydro, I plug the recipe into the software and change the eff until I get a projected OG in the software that is 1.050.simple, crude but it gives you a pretty good idea of your eff. To reduce variables, contact your malt supplier and get the exact GP/LB/G for each malt you use and plug those in as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users