#1 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:52 AM

So I just cracked my first bottle of a simple experimental brew that I did and it is fantastic so I thought I'd post it up here:9lbs Pale 2-Row7 AAUs Northern Brewer @ 605 AAUs EKG @ 205 AAUs EKG @ 10Mash Temp - 155 df (important to get the residual sweets that make this one, so hit your temps!)single infusion for 1 hourBoil 60 min.Safale-04 Whitebread English Ale YeastI did this one for 3 weeks primary and bottled. It is great. If you make it I would keep the northern brewer for clean bittering and then add your favourite or just an unknown hop that you would like to sample in - just do your 5 AAUs @ 20 and 10 of whatever flavour/aroma hop you like.OG 1.050 (my system gets pretty good eff. so if you are below 80% eff I would up the base malt to about 10-11 lbs.)FG 1.012 (important, this beer wants to finish a little sweet - the high mash temp and low attenuating yeast are essential, this would be completely different if it were dry)IBUs ~ 30SRM 3ABV 5.1%Ferment at 68 dfEasy drinking, really inexpensive, delicious brew. If you have never tried doing something exclusively pale malt, this is a good way to try it - I have tried one that finished too dry and lacked complexity and flavour - this lacks neither and will quench a thirst too boot!:)

#2 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35195 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:53 PM

I do something very similar as my "House" beer. I make it when I need something to go from mash tun to keg in 3ish weeks.9lbs base malt (I use MO or GP, but its great with cheap 2-row)1/2lb Crystal 60LMash at 153F for 60 mins60 min boil1oz Northern Brewer for 60 min1oz Cascade for 15 min1oz Cascade for 2 minWyeast 1056, held around 65F. Usually finishes fermenting in a few days, stick it in a secondary for a week and a half to 2 weeks. Keg and force carb. I usually hit something like 1.05 with this and it finishes around 1.013. I also make this when I get tired of messing around with ingredients and just want beer :devil:Finishes smooth and just a touch sweet with nice bitterness and a citrusy flavor from the cascades. Not overpowering with hops, not overpowering with malt. Just a smooth pale ale that matures quickly. It doesnt benefit from aging that well. I find that its best between 3 weeks and a couple of months. If the keg is tapped for longer than 2 months it starts to lose the flavors I like so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users