27 replies to this topic

#21 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:41 AM

I harvested mine Tuesday night. I don't know how you folks with 6+ plants do it. Picking hops is SO MUCH work. Sure, you can sit down while doing it, but it took me over two hours to harvest just one plant. I probably got 2-3 oz after they dry. So two hours work for $9 worth of hops purchased singly or $4 in bulk. Hard to justify from a purely financial standpoint, but I do still like the idea of growing some of my own, so I'll keep it up. I just can't imagine spending 12+ hours picking hops like some of you with all those different plants must do.

I must have a lot less hops than is normal this first year b/c I feel like I could pick all of mine in about 15 minutes.

#22 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47962 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:55 AM

I must have a lot less hops than is normal this first year b/c I feel like I could pick all of mine in about 15 minutes.

I filled a 6 quart bowl.

#23 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:01 AM

I filled a 6 quart bowl.

Hhmm. You must be picking slowly. I got about 8 ounces (dried) picked in about that time. 6+ ounces Chinook and 1+ounce of Mt Hood. I still need to get the Cascades, Nugget, Willamette. Some did not fare well this year.

#24 DR0NE

DR0NE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:20 PM

Drone. That sounds good. Yes I would love to compare notes and we are rougly in the same geographical area as well. The cones that I have gotten while good quality have been smaller than I expected. I have a lot that browned out as well. I planted 5 zomes and 4 took off. I figure next year to plant more varieties and more zomes. This year was just to see if I could do it and it has been really fun too. I have one zome of Nugget that grew about 8-10 feet,vine is green as can be but there are no hops to speak of. I figure next year that will change as well. I didn't expect to get any hops from any of the plants this year either.

I started watering mine a ton when the leaves wilted and I had some cones appear to brown when they weren't really ripe.Since I am only growing Cascades it might be tough to compare to your other varieties, I think they are pretty idiot proof as far as hops go (part of why I chose to grow them.)It definitely seems like second year plants that are allowed to grow taller will yield bigger cones than what you see the first year. I will probably rig up something so mine can grow taller next year.

#25 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:05 PM

I started watering mine a ton when the leaves wilted and I had some cones appear to brown when they weren't really ripe.Since I am only growing Cascades it might be tough to compare to your other varieties, I think they are pretty idiot proof as far as hops go (part of why I chose to grow them.)It definitely seems like second year plants that are allowed to grow taller will yield bigger cones than what you see the first year. I will probably rig up something so mine can grow taller next year.

I know your feelings about the Cascades. The varieties I decided on were the beginner suggestions so I am with you on the idiot proof part too. Two of mine are Cascades and they have produced the most hops of any of the plants. I have one Will and I have hops but not very many, its a slow grower. The Nugget I got is the tallest but there are no hop cones at all, never have been all season too. I will look forward to next year and see what they do as well.

#26 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:24 PM

I haven't picked mine yet. But as long as we're comparing notes... I have just one centennial crown (the other 2 varieties I planted were destroyed by my dog's digging). Last year (2nd year), I ended up with 2lbs dry weight. I just used the last of them a couple months ago (keg of ESB is in the fridge right now). This year, despite being ravaged by aphids and beetles, the darn things have put out some nice fresh green side shoots covered in cones. I fully expect another 2lbs or so this year.

#27 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:33 PM

Just a thought. I went out and harvested the rest of the hop cones from my second Cascade rhizome and all in all I would say I have maybe a half ounce dried weight of Cascaded hops. My question is what do you do with that? Dry Hop? It sure is a small amount but I would love to hear what some of you did when you had your first year hop harvest and what you did or how you used it?

#28 DR0NE

DR0NE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

Just a thought. I went out and harvested the rest of the hop cones from my second Cascade rhizome and all in all I would say I have maybe a half ounce dried weight of Cascaded hops. My question is what do you do with that? Dry Hop? It sure is a small amount but I would love to hear what some of you did when you had your first year hop harvest and what you did or how you used it?

I dry hopped with mine after letting them air dry. The two batches I made that way (IPAs) came out really good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users