25 replies to this topic

#1 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19201 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:30 AM

What a pain in the ass. Just did 9 kegs. Jet rinsed, took them apart and filled with cleaner last night while watching Final Four stuff. Then spent a good chunk of the morning cleaning, rinsing, and putting them back together. Still have 5 more to go! Grrr... Maybe some other weekend...Every time I do this, I swear I'll start cleaning them as I empty them, but never happens. :)

#2 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2661 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:34 AM

Ugh! I have 8 that I've been meaning to get to. I also seem to have the "wait until they're all dirty instead of cleaning them right away" problem. Maybe the sunny weather today will get me out to tackle them this afternoon.

#3 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

You sir, you have a friend in caustic soda (lye, drano, NaOH).Fill keg with solution.Walk away.Return in an hour or so, drain rinse.Pat self on back.BrewBasser

#4 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10810 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:23 AM

You sir, you have a friend in caustic soda (lye, drano, NaOH).Fill keg with solution.Walk away.Return in an hour or so, drain rinse.Pat self on back.BrewBasser

Drano eh??Tell me how? Safe on keggle?

#5 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:28 AM

Drano eh??Tell me how? Safe on keggle?

I believe the working strength is 3% (Use the cheap, off brand that is only lye without any other ingredients).I'll double check the working strength at work today.Safe for any stainless and is an absolute cleaning wonder.Will melt your skin if your not careful (re: Fight Club)BrewBasser

#6 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10810 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

I believe the working strength is 3% (Use the cheap, off brand that is only lye without any other ingredients).I'll double check the working strength at work today.Safe for any stainless and is an absolute cleaning wonder.Will melt your skin if your not careful (re: Fight Club)BrewBasser

How about copper?

#7 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:43 AM

It works on copper, but does a little damage, so it is not recommended for frequent use.That said, we use it to clean the eastside (copper) brewhouse.BrewBasser

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:31 AM

Every time I do this, I swear I'll start cleaning them as I empty them, but never happens. :)

At least you know what you SHOULD be doing! :chug:

#9 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19201 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:07 PM

You sir, you have a friend in caustic soda (lye, drano, NaOH).Fill keg with solution.Walk away.Return in an hour or so, drain rinse.Pat self on back.

Caustic is a giant pain in the ass. That would just make the task even more complicated.

At least you know what you SHOULD be doing! :)

Sums up most things in life. :chug:

#10 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:11 PM

How is caustic a pain?To me it is the most painless cleaner of all.Soak, drain, rinse. No scrubbing. What could be easier?BrewBasser

#11 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:13 PM

How is caustic a pain?To me it is the most painless cleaner of all.Soak, drain, rinse. No scrubbing. What could be easier?BrewBasser

the extra precautions and potential harm to self, home and equipment prevent me from trying it honestly.

#12 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:19 PM

At working strength it is no big deal.Concentrated, yes it can burn you if you aren't careful, but the amazing cleaning ability keeps me coming back (plus I can get it at the brewery for free, that helps)BrewBasser

#13 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10810 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

Did you double check the working strength yet?

#14 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

Did you double check the working strength yet?

Just gettin' in the groove here. Gimme a few minutes.BrewBasser

#15 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:26 PM

At working strength it is no big deal.Concentrated, yes it can burn you if you aren't careful, but the amazing cleaning ability keeps me coming back (plus I can get it at the brewery for free, that helps)BrewBasser

I may try this , as I have the right protective equipment, and 6 kegs to clean/inspect/rebuild. I have a jar of the straight crystalized stuff, that what you're talking about?

#16 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19201 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:28 PM

I don't scrub either. Right tool for the right job. If you're soaking, might as well use PBW and skip the rubber gloves, eye protection, heating water on the stove, and risks of spills.

#17 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:40 PM

I don't scrub either. Right tool for the right job. If you're soaking, might as well use PBW and skip the rubber gloves, eye protection, heating water on the stove, and risks of spills.

I skip all that stuff anyway.I just use hot tap water, no need to heat water on the stove. I wear glasses so I have ready eye protection (enough that I don't worry about it).I wouldn't personally recommend my blase use of caustic but it works for me.BrewBasser

#18 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19201 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:51 PM

If you're using chlorinated you don't need to get too hot, but straight caustic needs to be hot to work. Need to mix and heat it up to at 160 or so. Caustic is serious stuff and I don't need someone's accident on my conscience.

#19 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:29 PM

If you're using chlorinated you don't need to get too hot, but straight caustic needs to be hot to work. Need to mix and heat it up to at 160 or so. Caustic is serious stuff and I don't need someone's accident on my conscience.

Fair enough.BrewBasser

#20 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

I've had numerous caustic burns, all of them when wearing full protective gear. The pain isn't too intense, but it WILL leave a scar. All the burns have come from the concentrated liquid caustic, I've never had issues with working strength or powdered.At a brewery I used to work at we cleaned the kettle with RAZE, a cholorinated caustic and I was very, very scared of that stuff.Peroxyacetic acid is pretty scary stuff, too. It'll turn your skin white and sometimes that skin will just slough away, other times it will be fine a couple hours.The most terrifying brewery chemical by far is Nitric Acid...mostly used to passivate new stainless steel...its just plain scary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users