37 replies to this topic

#1 dungeonbrewer

dungeonbrewer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationUtica, Il.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:03 AM

SG: 1.108 for the IPA...used safale us 06 with a starter36# of grain for a 10 gal batch. Ended up all said and done with 9 gal of wort. My conical is 14.5 gal approx and it blew the airlock..wowMy question is about the yeast...is it going to withstand the alcohol content and survive? This is my first IPA and apparently the conversions were right on for efficiencySomeone in a group was talking about yeast not surviving if alcohol too high..I did a second runnings and had a reading of 1.058 (5 gal batch)Posted Image

#2 dungeonbrewer

dungeonbrewer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationUtica, Il.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:16 AM

Oh and by the way this is only 14 hours later....and it only got worseBut finally rigged up blow off tube...and the beer is doing well.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:31 AM

That is one BIG IPA!!! I have never even has anything close to that much blowoff with 12G in the same conical... WOW

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64097 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:40 AM

1.) That's an IIPA2.) Yes, the yeast will be fine. The question is, did you pitch enough?

#5 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:28 AM

1.) That's an IIPA

I would call it more of an IIIPA. I hope the IBUs were up there to balance, and I would dryhop the crap out of it, to really emphasize the hugeness of this beer. I've made some in the .090s but never went over .100 without it being a BW. Cant afford the hops!!! <_<

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64097 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:31 AM

I would call it more of an IIIPA. I hope the IBUs were up there to balance, and I would dryhop the crap out of it, to really emphasize the hugeness of this beer. I've made some in the .090s but never went over .100 without it being a BW. Cant afford the hops!!! <_<

SIPA?

#7 dungeonbrewer

dungeonbrewer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationUtica, Il.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:14 AM

I used 1 oz warrior, 4 oz amarillo and 1 oz cascade thru out 90 min boil...adding another 1 oz cascade last 5 minoh- and fresh leaf hops for cascade off my HUGE crop this year

#8 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:21 AM

I think I remember reading once that at a certain level, at least for commercial brewers and taxation purposes, it would no longer called a beer and would be a barleywine. But man... I can't imagine how much hops would be used for this. I'm gonna guess close to a pound

#9 dungeonbrewer

dungeonbrewer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationUtica, Il.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:39 AM

Latest Update on action...Made blow off tube and ran it down to a quart jar half full of water..had to put the quart jar into a pitcher because of the overflow...I guess I needed to prepare better..any suggestions for if this happens again??The pic isnt that great...you can see bottom of conical, and the 5 gal of second runnings behind it..but the pitcher didnt come out very good..but you can see the beer starting to add up in run off pitcher...man, should I get a straw..I hate wasting beer~ <_< Posted Image

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:58 AM

just wondering what temperature is that bad boy fermenting at?

#11 dungeonbrewer

dungeonbrewer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationUtica, Il.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:02 AM

just wondering what temperature is that bad boy fermenting at?

Right now its sitting at 75 degrees, I just added a wet towel and an ice pack wrap around to keep it cool

#12 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:22 AM

Right now its sitting at 75 degrees, I just added a wet towel and an ice pack wrap around to keep it cool

With that OG and that temp, you may have an "interesting" beer!

#13 pete maz

pete maz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationInman, SC

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:30 AM

With that OG and that temp, you may have an "interesting" beer!

My thoughts exactly. I'm assuming 75F is the ambient air temp? You may want to drop that temp at least 5-7 degrees if at all possible.Actually Denny, I believe that might be an IIB.

#14 dungeonbrewer

dungeonbrewer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationUtica, Il.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:33 AM

My thoughts exactly. I'm assuming 75F is the ambient air temp? You may want to drop that temp at least 5-7 degrees if at all possible.Actually Denny, I believe that might be an IIB.

Actually its in the basement and its around 68 degrees down there...the beer started out around 74 degrees and temps increased some as that usually happens..but not at this rate I have ever seen before..

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:34 AM

Actually its in the basement and its around 68 degrees down there...the beer started out around 74 degrees and temps increased some as that usually happens..but not at this rate I have ever seen before..

Even 74 is 10 degrees higher than I would have started it.

#16 dungeonbrewer

dungeonbrewer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationUtica, Il.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:40 AM

Even 74 is 10 degrees higher than I would have started it.

Yea, i hear that..but thats about the temp difference between my thermometer i used outside with wort chiller and the on my conical

#17 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

Ya know, you're showing me the main reason I haven't gotten a conical....temp control.

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

Ya know, you're showing me the main reason I haven't gotten a conical....temp control.

no shite! I'd think some kind of cooling jacket would almost be required.

#19 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

Meanwhile, my 14.5 has an Alt fermenting at 62df (internal) :blush:

#20 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:24 PM

Meanwhile, my 14.5 has an Alt fermenting at 62df (internal) :blush:

how'd you achieve such a cool temp?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users