#1 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:07 AM

I dropped off my entries at the brew hut yesterday.I was gonna bottle my excellent dry hopped IPA but I hooked up the beer gun and started to bottle and only got a half a bottle of foam before the keg kicked. I think someone's been sneaking beers when I'm not looking. ;) Since I had the beer gun out, I decided to bottle some of the cream ale that I don't really like. I entered the cream ale and a bottle conditioned dubbel. I don't really have high hopes for the cream ale, but maybe I'll be the only entry in category 6 and get a medal. I don't expect to win anything with the dubbel, but it'd be nice to get some feedback.They said they'd mail feedback out soon afterwards. This is my first real comp, so I dont know what to expect. I'm just hoping not to get any "Worst Beer Ever!" comments.Judging is Aug 28th.

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:10 AM

I soooo wish I was judging that event.

#3 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:13 AM

you know where there is a list of drop off areas?

#4 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:07 AM

you know where there is a list of drop off areas?

Link to PDFOnly one round here is brew hut. It was a bit out of the way for me, but not as bad as driving to Pueblo.

#5 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14976 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:41 AM

I soooo wish I was judging that event.

Just so you could write "Worst. Beer. Ever." on the only Cat 6 beer entered?

#6 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:51 PM

I'm going down this year. I haven't been able to get off for several years. We'll be judging homebrews Friday, commercial Saturday, and volunteering at the Foam Fest Colorado microbrew festival Saturday night.Should be fun!They present the prizes at the Foam Fest Saturday night if you can make it.I guess I better get my entries in. The Brew Hut is acepting them until Saturday at 5 pm.

#7 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:23 PM

The results are in! https://www.colorado.....w Results.pdf

#8 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:38 PM

There's no shame in 5th place....now 6th on the other hand...

#9 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:55 PM

Brutal.... just brutal...

#10 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:07 PM

I have to have one of thesePosted Image

#11 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:06 PM

I just read the results and came here to post...It'll be interesting to read the feedback.

Thanks!*furiously cries*

#12 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40969 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:22 PM

I got a 2nd and a 3rd at the Iowa state fair this year.

#13 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:48 PM

I just read the results and came here to post...It'll be interesting to read the feedback..........

Take the scores and comments with several grains of salt. You were better than most with a brew you thought was........ well you said it.Plus, there's a good chance that the same beer would score shitty in one comp and go to BOS in the other. Funny how that is, but it happens...... Everyone says enter a lot to get great feedback. It's a PIA to enter that many and I have some people around here I trust to be honest and know their stuff. OTOH, don't enter, no ribbons..... but that's not really what it's about. So, I'll try them. PM me and I'll give you my address so I can consider them :cheers:

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:06 PM

Those Kelly's are a brewing ass family! 32 entries?!I'm also going to be entering my first comp coming up soon, deadline is Saturday. I'll probably put in 4 or 5 entries.

Edited by JKoravos, 31 August 2009 - 09:53 PM.

#15 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:14 AM

Good luck in your competition.I got a first runner up in 2005's Santa Cruz county fair.One stupid judge voted for the "other beer" and broke the tie that would have me the best in show, but that is how it goes.BrewBasser

#16 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:11 AM

Good luck in your competition.I got a first runner up in 2005's Santa Cruz county fair.One stupid judge voted for the "other beer" and broke the tie that would have me the best in show, but that is how it goes.BrewBasser

I'm really interested to see what my scores/comments come back like. Sure, my family and buddies say that my beer is great, but only a few of them have even the slightest clue what good beer is. A few people from this board are the only ones who have had my beer and whose opinion I would put any weight behind. Personally, I don't think I can judge my own beer for crap, I'm completely "cellar blind". That, and I think my palate kind of sucks, or at least it's very untrained. My sense of smell definitely sucks (and I'm reminded every day by my wife, she could smell a fart upwind 100 yds away).

#17 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:50 AM

(and I'm reminded every day by my wife, she could smell a fart upwind 100 yds away).

Hmmm... maybe she would do well to take the BJCP test if she can dial in her nasal passages to hops and malt.I'm in the same boat as you... I have a very poor palate sens as a result of significant nose trauma when I was in college (compound nose fracture). I'd never be able to be a judge.

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:52 AM

Hmmm... maybe she would do well to take the BJCP test if she can dial in her nasal passages to hops and malt.I'm in the same boat as you... I have a very poor palate sens as a result of significant nose trauma when I was in college (compound nose fracture). I'd never be able to be a judge.

I've thought about trying to push her in that direction, but she doesn't like beer, so it would probably be a pretty uphill battle. It would be sweet to have a BJCP judge in the house, though. :P

#19 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:06 AM

I've thought about trying to push her in that direction, but she doesn't like beer, so it would probably be a pretty uphill battle. It would be sweet to have a BJCP judge in the house, though. <_<

Are you my East Coast doppleganger? My wife doesn't like beer either! I brew it all for myself, so as a result it takes longer to consume and I don't have/get to brew as often.

#20 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:10 PM

There's another comp out here in CO with a dealine of September 10th. 3rd AnnualKeg Ran Out ClubWorld Brewers ForumHomebrew Competition Judging - September 12th, 2009Awards - September 24th, 2009https://www.kroc.org.../3rdWBFComp.pdfit looks like all the categories are for American style beers.I have an IPA that I bottled on August 20th, i just popped one last night to check progress and think it is very competition worthy. However it still needs some carbing up. I gotta decide if I want to enter it and hope that its good by the 12th or just skip this one...hmmmm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users