20 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:02 AM

A LONG time ago someone brought a mix pack to a gathering I had at the house. I've been slowly working through them - other than the lack of hop presence in the pale ale and IPA I think they aren't too bad. I think the value on these beers are pretty good - thoughts?

#2 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48014 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:44 AM

The value is decent because they are cheap. As for quality, I think they're on the same tier as the AB-Michelob "craft" beers. Generally average.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:48 AM

The value is decent because they are cheap. As for quality, I think they're on the same tier as the AB-Michelob "craft" beers. Generally average.

I think they are slightly better than AB-Michelob, but not much better. I'd def rather drink these than the regular (non-"craft") BMC offerings.

#4 Brewmasters Warehouse

Brewmasters Warehouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:00 PM

I think they are slightly better than AB-Michelob, but not much better. I'd def rather drink these than the regular (non-"craft") BMC offerings.

I agree with you that they are slightly better than AB-Michelob's offerings. They have some ways to go but better to drink Dundee's then any AMC offering.

#5 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:00 PM

The liquor store down the street used to have 12 packs of honey brown in cans for 9.00$. I agree, its pretty average beer, but at that price, I bought it quite a bit.

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:02 PM

The liquor store down the street used to have 12 packs of honey brown in cans for 9.00$. I agree, its pretty average beer, but at that price, I bought it quite a bit.

I find their wheat beer pretty typical american wheat but also highly slammable for times when I just mowed the lawn or something :smilielol:

#7 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:59 PM

If you come across it, try Dundee's Octoberfest. Damn nice beer. Should be out soon. Their Pale Bock is tasty as well.I do agree that the others are a half step above Michelob's craft line. And good value for the dollars.

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:18 PM

If you come across it, try Dundee's Octoberfest. Damn nice beer. Should be out soon. Their Pale Bock is tasty as well.I do agree that the others are a half step above Michelob's craft line. And good value for the dollars.

I may have to look out for this...

#9 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49867 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:38 PM

Being that they are brewed here in Rochester, I have sort of an affinity for them, but I don't usually buy them unless that is all there is, or I am super broke, but usually in the latter case, I just drink my stock of HB. That being said, I think that they brew some pretty good beers for what they are going for.

#10 CarlosM

CarlosM

SeƱor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:07 PM

I bought a 12'er sampler and it blew chunks. Every beer tasted exactly the same.I wasnt satisfied with it at all.

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:14 PM

I bought a 12'er sampler and it blew chunks. Every beer tasted exactly the same.I wasnt satisfied with it at all.

Let's see you run a pro brewery better. :)

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64141 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:07 PM

+1, it's been a long time, so I don't remember what the beers tasted like, but I do remember that I told myself that I'd never purchase it again.If I'm going to compromise I'll drink PBR, it's way cheaper and it's better, IMO.

Edited by JKoravos, 11 August 2009 - 07:08 PM.

#13 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:10 PM

Every one tasted the same? Really? :) Noone is saying they are world class beers but they sure are to style.

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:16 AM

Every one tasted the same? Really? :) Noone is saying they are world class beers but they sure are to style.

yeah - like I said earlier I think the IPA tasted like a pale ale and the pale ale tasted like almost nothing. I wouldn't say they all tasted the same though. If anyone was drinking bottle after bottle of these after the 3rd or 4th beer anything will start to taste the same...

#15 DigitalTaper

DigitalTaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBinghamton, NY

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:01 PM

The only High Falls beer I'll drink is Genny Cream Ale while hanging out with the GF's Father! (Full disclosure: I have to kill at least a 6 pack of micro's first!)

#16 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:19 AM

Let's see you run a pro brewery better. ;)

Where do I sign?

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:22 AM

Where do I sign?

Not sure if you caught the reference there - the famous carlos line when it comes to movies that people say suck is that "I'd like to see you do better!!!"If no risk was involved I think it is something that most of us here would give a go at if we could.

#18 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:26 AM

Not sure if you caught the reference there - the famous carlos line when it comes to movies that people say suck is that "I'd like to see you do better!!!"If no risk was involved I think it is something that most of us here would give a go at if we could.

;) Its early for me still.

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:31 AM

;) Its early for me still.

meh - it was a cross-over reference :rolf:

#20 farmhaus

farmhaus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:02 PM

Honey Brown is food....Doesn't burn a hole in your gut like bud.Sure a bottle of H/B MLPA is better, but when in Rome (or Rochester...) it does the trick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users