#1 texred1

texred1

Permanent Comptroller & Pyromaniac

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3683 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:33 PM

This is going to blow my zero post count in the PH, but I have a question.I have been brewing beer for about 15 years, and since I had an extra carboy laying around I decided to make a wine kit.Followed all the directions and so far everything is going great. (wine is so much easier than beer)Then on Monday of this week, I bottled and for some reason I had trouble with the corks going all the way in. I mean they go in, but they have the huge dimple in them from the corker and maybe a 2-3mm lip sort of sticks up out of the top of the bottle. Is there some sort of technique I am missing out on, or is it just the type of corker I am using (which is a simple Twin Lever Hand Corker)?~d

#2 texred1

texred1

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3683 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:00 PM

Are you soaking the corks first?

I am going to go with no, I was not aware I needed to soak the corks. I rinsed them off with sanitizer, cause I sanitize everything.How long are they supposed to soak? Wonder why that is not listed in the instructions?~dps. I did the World Vineyards California Zinfandel Shiraz. When I was done bottling there was maybe half a bottle left. My wife drank that pretty quick and said it was good so I think it is going to work out well.

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

This is going to blow my zero post count in the PH, but I have a question.I have been brewing beer for about 15 years, and since I had an extra carboy laying around I decided to make a wine kit.Followed all the directions and so far everything is going great. (wine is so much easier than beer)Then on Monday of this week, I bottled and for some reason I had trouble with the corks going all the way in. I mean they go in, but they have the huge dimple in them from the corker and maybe a 2-3mm lip sort of sticks up out of the top of the bottle. Is there some sort of technique I am missing out on, or is it just the type of corker I am using (which is a simple Twin Lever Hand Corker)?~d

you need to adjust the corker with the screw in the center. It can be adjusted to push the corks in further.

#4 Wayne B

Wayne B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:20 PM

Well, depending on the size cork (which number and length are you using?), the type of cork, and how they've been processed (some are pre-coated with a dry silicone nowadays), you may or may not want to soak them. But in general for #9 corks (the slightly thicker ones), they're a bit of a bear to get inserted dry (or nearly dry) with a hand corker. Most corks these days are cut and processed for use with corking machines, so they work best with at least a floor corker. I've had trouble with my hand corker (now a 25 year old antique) too, so I don't use it any more. The synthetics and some of the agglomerated ones are even harder to get in than a solid cork core. The old standard for 750ml wine bottles for home use was #8, until people started noticing that they don't seal as well long term (they last an average of about 3 years before developing small leaks). If you do go with soaking (which does make insertion easier), do so in lukewarm water that has been treated with metabisulfite, and let the corks soak, submerged for at least an hour. That will cause them to take on enough water to be more compliant and you should be able to insert them easier. Be aware that a little of the soaking solution ends up in the bottle, so the metabisulfite soak is the preferred method. I know that some folks use other no-rinse sanitizers, but I prefer to not introduce anything other than a little sulfite into my meads when I'm bottling.

Edited by Wayne B, 03 April 2009 - 04:22 PM.

#5 texred1

texred1

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3683 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

The "huge dimple" and "a lip {...} that sticks up" comments make me think it is adjusted correctly, but needs a soak as I suggested, or verification of cork size and type, as Wayne suggests.

Yep, it pushes the cork all the way in, but (man this is hard to describe) it is like the the outside edge of the cork doesn't get pushed all the way in and leaves a little lip that sticks out, normally on one side or the other, not all the way around. I am probably just being picky about it, cause really it doesn't make any difference, it just looks a little odd.BTW. The corks are agglomerate #9 X 1.50" which is what the guy at the homebrew store recommended. Would I be better to use #8s.~d

#6 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

IMO the corker you are using is just as guilty as anything. I upgraded to a floor corker very quickly after getting into making wine as it was difficult to not put that dimple in the middle of the cork. I've used full agglomerated, agglomerated with solid cork ends, full cork, and synthetics. Some were worse than others.If nothing works then buy shrink caps for the tops and hide them :)

#7 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14452 posts
  • LocationWinter...

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:50 PM

If nothing works then buy shrink caps for the tops and hide them :)

You could also wax them. It's a PITA but looks very nice and is impressive when you give them as gifts.I'll weigh in with my $0.02 as well.I only use synthetic corks (normacork). I found with them that it's very easy to leave dimples or a lip if my corker isn't adjusted properly. With the synthetic corks there is no need to soak. I just douse them with StarSan and cork away. They will go in fine dry but I like to sanitize them just in case.When I first started making wind & mead I had a hand corker. I used it for one batch. The next time I borrowed a Portuguese Floor Corker and I've never looked back. I purchased my own pretty quickly after that it's awesome.

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

I too use #9x1.5" agglomerates. Try the soaking method, it should work the same for you as it does for me.

do you use #9's with a 2 lever? i have been under the impression from my LHBS that the Hand corker will only scrunch a #8?

#9 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:56 PM

Or, skip the bottling and just keg it all. If you want give aways, bottle with flip-tops from the keg.

Or capped beer bottles. I never even bought a corker until I started doing commercial stuff.

#10 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:25 PM

I use a Gilda 3-lever Corker.

Ahh I wasn't aware of that particular model. Looks like a mid level upgrade over the 2 lever I use.

#11 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

Ha... I own a Ferrari..That's a bit embarrassing since I'm a McLaren fan.But a floor corker. IMHO worth the $60 I paid for it back then.I soak them as well.I use a 1 gal glass wine jug.I throw 1 Capden tablet in. Then I load the number of corks I think I'll need.Then I fill with hot water. I turn the top cork sideways, so it holds all the others under water.Then I bottle. After an hour of soaking, they slide in like they were greased.And ZERO instances of cork taint in 16+ years.

#12 Dave in Indiana

Dave in Indiana

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5989 posts
  • Locationa bustle in your hedgerow

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:08 PM

Floor corker is the way to go if you bottle any volume. I dowel rod and a mallet will seat the corks when the corker fails. I do my corks the way (I believe) the commercial wineries do them. That is right out of the bag and dry, no soaking. Floor corker makes this part easy, too.

#13 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:24 PM

... I dowel rod and a mallet will seat the corks when the corker fails. ...

I once did a FAQ on precision cork seating with a 50 BMG at 1000 yards. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users