#1 Mexas Joe

Mexas Joe

Obama Thanker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21209 posts
  • LocationIt's OK to be White

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:56 AM

Anybody here ever tear theirs? My shoulder has been hurting for years, and my dumb ass would usually just power through the pain in the gym. Finally after not lifting for 3 months and no improvement with shots, I got an MRI.

I had surgery yesterday. Was supposed to just chip out bone spurs and debridement. MRI didn't show a tear, so I went in not expecting a long recovery time.

Turns out I had a pretty good rotator cuff tear and the ortho doc fixed it while he was in my shoulder. So now my recovery time is like x4, and I'm in a monkeyfighting sling for 2 weeks.

And the marathon I was training for this fall prolly won't happen. At best I'll run another 1/2.

End Rant.

#2 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6621 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:02 AM

Open or closed procedure? FWIW, the rotator is actually four different connections so it depends on which one was torn, how severely and in what direction.

ETA: had both shoulders done.

Edited by armagh, 16 August 2013 - 07:02 AM.

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32993 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

Could be worse.

My dad had shoulder pain for years and he got to the point where he couldn't lift his right arm even to shoulder height. Couldn't play golf or do much anything with that arm. Turns out there is a little hook looking bone on the end of your shoulder where a tendon goes under it. The tendon had come out from under it and was over the top of the bone. They think it happened a bunch of years ago when my parents had a waterbed. My dad fell asleep with his arm dangling over the side and his shoulder dislocated. My mom put it back in place and he never went to the doctor.

#4 Mexas Joe

Mexas Joe

Obama Thanker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21209 posts
  • LocationIt's OK to be White

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

Open or closed procedure? FWIW, the rotator is actually four different connections so it depends on which one was torn, how severely and in what direction.

ETA: had both shoulders done.

Closed. done with 2 small holes for the scopes.

The tear was underside, I guess. I was still drunk on meds when the doc talked to me in recovery.

#5 MissPerforation

MissPerforation

Official Thing Holder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1479 posts
  • Location1 toke over the line

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:05 AM

Could be worse.

My dad had shoulder pain for years and he got to the point where he couldn't lift his right arm even to shoulder height. Couldn't play golf or do much anything with that arm. Turns out there is a little hook looking bone on the end of your shoulder where a tendon goes under it. The tendon had come out from under it and was over the top of the bone. They think it happened a bunch of years ago when my parents had a waterbed. My dad fell asleep with his arm dangling over the side and his shoulder dislocated. My mom put it back in place and he never went to the doctor.

Holy cow! Did he jog home from his vasectomy too? 

BTW, mexas I know that stuff really hurts and it takes a while to heal. I hope you get better  :D

#6 Corbin

Corbin

Comptroller of Annoying-assed Threads That Go Too Freaking Long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9450 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

I have had a torn rotator cuff, knee surgery, and three operations on my broken ankle. All I can say is make sure you do your rehab work.  Good luck with the recovery!

#7 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6621 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:09 AM

Sling for two weeks after a closed procedure is unusual.  Either way, you should be starting PT Monday at the latest.  Push-ups off your knees in four-six weeks.  Sounds like the supraspinatus if the tear was on the underside. 

#8 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30450 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:09 AM

I had surgery yesterday. Was supposed to just chip out bone spurs and debridement. 

I've had 3 debridements...2 on one side. I feel your pain

#9 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79497 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

My dad had both his shoulders done (one at a time) a few years ago.   He had to sleep upright in a recliner/armchair for 2 weeks after each one.

#10 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

I dislocated my left shoulder in a bad fall and tore a bunch of stuff. I let it go but continued to dislocate it.. 12 times before I finally had surgery. I hate that feeling of dislocation. Especially when it's hard to get it back in place.

My recovery was a little longer. I had 5 incisions. Don't remember the lingo for what all I had done. 

They gave me Ambien on top of pain meds and was told to sleep in a recliner, which I did. The medication made it easy. I did have about a 6 week rehab program, and I took it very serious, and it paid off. 

Since then I tore my right one really bad, not rotator, but was not informed after the MRI that it needed surgery. My doctor asked if I had the surgery done, and I said, huh? he was livid. He said it was all ####ed up and was supposed to be repaired. 

Now, it is something I've got to deal with soon. It is a major problem. (along with a pending knee replacement, another knee cartilage damage, a wrist operation I opted to wait on since it's my writing hand... and people wonder why I drink)

tl/dr: take the rehab serious.

Edited by al_bob, 16 August 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#11 badogg

badogg

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26947 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

I jacked up my Rotator cuff about a year and a month ago.  Doc said it was just a strain and gave me Flexiril which helped me sleep.  But it still hurts me if I twist my arm a certain way or try to lift it over shoulder height.  I can do it and force it, but it hurts pretty good.

I haven't gone back for a couple of reasons.  But I think I probably need to and have them check it out again.

#12 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1767 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

my doc told me I strained my deltoid and said "take 600 mg of advil daily and go look up rotator cuff exercises on youtube; do them, you'll be better in 6 months"... I guess I should do those exercises

#13 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40710 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

my doc told me I strained my deltoid and said "take 600 mg of advil daily and go look up rotator cuff exercises on youtube; do them, you'll be better in 6 months"... I guess I should do those exercises

What was that part about 12 ounce curls?

#14 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22079 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

my dad had it done and didn't move it enough during rehab. They had to go back in to clean it up.

#15 CarlosM

CarlosM

SeƱor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

you guys are massively broken. 

#16 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

you guys are massively broken. 

You're young, 'los...an active life does damage. It's different damage than you get from sitting on the couch, and preferable across the board.

#17 Corbin

Corbin

Comptroller of Annoying-assed Threads That Go Too Freaking Long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9450 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

ummmm, " go look up cuff exercises on YouTube". Wtf? Did you go to a drive through doctors office?

#18 northbound

northbound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationBellaire, MI

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

Had a slightly torn RC, the Doc gave me an injection, didn't work, he also prescribed Physical therapy. being the dead of winter I didn't go. Seems to be getting better without the PT.

#19 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1767 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

What was that part about 12 ounce curls?

he didn't mention them but I took his silence on the subject to mean that he wasn't against it :)

ummmm, " go look up cuff exercises on YouTube". Wtf? Did you go to a drive through doctors office?

nah, the dude is cool... he figures use what is available. says he checked out the vids and they're good exercises, so why not?

#20 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

you guys are massively broken old, and had lots of fun and excitement in your lives!. 

fxt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users