20 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

How do you use it to clean brewing equipment?Quantity? Do you guys who use it like the results, etc...I'm brewing tomorrow or Sunday. Going to give it a try.Thanks!!

#2 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42070 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:58 PM

I used to use it to clean my carboys with. I'd add a couple scoops and fill with hot water and let it sit over night. Now I find it more convenient to just whip out the carboy brush and clean them that way with a little dish soap, then the night before brew day I fill it up with starsan and cover it with aluminum foil. I just drain off what I need to sanitize all my stuff and when I'm ready to transfer from kettle I just dump and do a quick rinse and Im good.

#3 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10810 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:37 PM

When I'm done brewing I add a couple scoops to my boil kettle with HOT water. I circulate it through my pump, chiller, etc and then let it set overnight. Then I rinse everything, boil some water and run that through everything. I'm good to go til next time.Although I think oxyclean does a fine job, I still don't think it is as good as PBW. A couple times a year, I will do that regimen with PBW and get things rally clean.

#4 Lonnie Mac

Lonnie Mac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationBacliff, TX

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

Never tried oxyclean, although I am not above giving it a go... I do LOVE PBW though.

#5 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21323 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:43 PM

I use the cheap OxyClean from the dollar store. Works great. I add a little TSP to it and it works great.

#6 Lonnie Mac

Lonnie Mac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationBacliff, TX

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:46 PM

I use the cheap OxyClean from the dollar store. Works great. I add a little TSP to it and it works great.

You are getting your TSP from the dollar store too? I mean I have one of them within walking distance... I have to order my PBW...

#7 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:05 PM

I've been using PBW and like it. I just ran out and thought I'd pick up some Oxiclean. Guess it won't hurt to try.Thanks for your responses!

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

I use oxyclean and tsp substitute sodium metasilicate. basically DIY PBW

#9 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

I have used the Oxy Versatile version. Its my cleaner for my kegs and then I sanitize them. I use half a scoop for half the keg with hot water. It works great, smells good and does not get into the beer at all either.

#10 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19199 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:17 PM

Basically like PBW. Typically let it soak for a bit and scrub, or let it soak overnight or longer and basically rinse the soil off. Effectiveness increases with temperature and contact time.

#11 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25567 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:39 PM

I have utmost respect for PBW. It can clean up way better than Oxyclean. I have had Oxyclean leave a thin white powdery film on stuff. If I use Oxyclean, it is a situation where I soak it for a couple hours, then rinse very well.I have found very little PBW goes a long way. Oxyclean might be 1/3 the price, but saving 2/3 of of 50 cents ain't worth the trouble for me. Then again, I tend to be a right tool for the job kind of guy. Oxyclean is for the clothes washer, PBW is for the brewery.zymot

#12 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:56 PM

I love oxiclean for fermenters. I can only get TSP up here, so I use that too, sometimes, and just make sure to rinse well.

#13 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19199 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:57 PM

You'll get white scale with PBW. It's reacting with hard water. Just rinse with Star-San.https://blog.flamini..._scale_on_glass

Edited by dagomike, 03 April 2009 - 07:57 PM.

#14 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25567 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:43 PM

You'll get white scale with PBW. It's reacting with hard water. Just rinse with Star-San.https://blog.flamini..._scale_on_glass

The film I get with Oxyclean looks much like the one shown in the thread. (my film was not so dense) In the post guy does not differentiate between PBW and Oxyclean. "then soak them in a bucket of PBW, or PBW-like cleaner" I assume "PBW-like cleaner" means Oxyclean or something very close to Oxyclean.I have soaked bottles 1 day in Oxyclean and gotten the film. I have soaked bottles in PBW for 4 days, zero film. I have also had PBW get rid of labels that Oxclean leaves behind.Like you point out, water hardness could be a factor. My water is some what soft, so I am lucky? But from what I have seen, PBW is the best, not the cheapest. But PBW pays for itself with it's no hassle value. For me anyway. zymot

#15 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19199 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:49 PM

Oxi probably has more sodium carbonate, so that's one factor and water is another. Point being, the film isn't restricted to Oxi and it can be removed with an acid rinse or soak, depending. And the cleaner described was a pro brewery cleaner that's a knock off of PBW, and those bottles sat for at least a week if not two.

#16 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:52 PM

I have utmost respect for PBW. It can clean up way better than Oxyclean. I have had Oxyclean leave a thin white powdery film on stuff. If I use Oxyclean, it is a situation where I soak it for a couple hours, then rinse very well.I have found very little PBW goes a long way. Oxyclean might be 1/3 the price, but saving 2/3 of of 50 cents ain't worth the trouble for me. Then again, I tend to be a right tool for the job kind of guy. Oxyclean is for the clothes washer, PBW is for the brewery.zymot

What this zymot said. I switched to Oxiclean and then switched back to PBW. My experience is I use less weight for the same amount of cleaning. My cleaning quadruple punch of chemicals are BKF, PBW, StarSan and Saniclean (none foaming StarSan).

#17 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28420 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:01 AM

I used to use it to clean my carboys with. I'd add a couple scoops and fill with hot water and let it sit over night. Now I find it more convenient to just whip out the carboy brush and clean them that way with a little dish soap, then the night before brew day I fill it up with starsan and cover it with aluminum foil. I just drain off what I need to sanitize all my stuff and when I'm ready to transfer from kettle I just dump and do a quick rinse and Im good.

Seems like you are over using chemicals. I use about half a scoop with hot water in my fermentors over night and it works well to just brush them out(while still full), then drain and rinse with really hot water a few times. No dish soap. Store them dry and clean. When it come to starsan I just put 1/2-1gal into them and swirl, tip, etc. to make all the surfaces are coated then drain and cover opening with foil till I transfer in.

#18 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:51 AM

I've used nothing but Oxiclean Versatile for all my brewery cleaning for nearly 10 years. I use about 2 Tbsp. per 5-7 gal. of water. I use hot tap water and the Oxiclean is VERY effective. Some people claim that you should avoid the blue crystal version, but it's never caused me any problems. Likewise, some people mix the Oxiclean with TSP to make it more effective. I find Oxiclean on its own is plenty effective.

#19 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:25 AM

I stopped at the LHBS today and picked up more PBW. I guess I'm a victim of habit.Lot of good info. though. I like to hear how others brew. Everyone does things a little different.Don't know if I've mentioned this before...I love this hobby!!! :)

#20 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:28 AM

Denny, I've got relatives in Eugene! Haven't been out ther since I was 13. I remember it being really green from the London type weather and hearing that people had to shovel the moss off their roofs!!"People in Eugene don't tan, they rust" :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users