35 replies to this topic

#21 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38847 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

The thing I despise is when I go to the doctor's office, which as you get older gets more frequent, they always seem to have Fox news on. Maybe it's just around here, but it is irritating. By the time the lil nurse comes out to take my BP I'm already worked up.

I feel that way when I watch MSNBC and Fox! 

Although... to be fair, you'll have to defend things like NBC editing the Zimmerman 911 tape to make him sound racist.  I know this has been hashed out a million times but I don't need the news outlets making the news... just reporting the news.

Edited by KenLenard, 25 July 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#22 LibraAle

LibraAle

Comptroller of Nuns and Apostles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1948 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

I think that they run pretty even in terms of personal wrongdoing. Republicans seem to catch a little less heat for sexual shenanigans, because they tend to marry their mistresses. I still think that Watergate was in a class by itself in terms of real political wrongdoing, but Nixon was a really singular individual. I make jokes, but I wouldn't really say that Watergate was indicative of anything deep in Republican ideology.

#23 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 66862 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

I think that they run pretty even in terms of personal wrongdoing. Republicans seem to catch a little less heat for sexual shenanigans, because they tend to marry their mistresses. I still think that Watergate was in a class by itself in terms of real political wrongdoing, but Nixon was a really singular individual. I make jokes, but I wouldn't really say that Watergate was indicative of anything deep in Republican ideology.

it was indicative of a really paranoid President

#24 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Comptroller of BigAssMan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43591 posts
  • Locationen route

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:14 AM

They both have a bunch of screw ups. I don't see the point in trying to measure it. For me, I LOL at Rpubs caught in sex scandals (double points for gay scandals) just like I LOL at Dems caught in tax evasion scandals. So freaking hypocritical.

#25 awall

awall

Comptroller of Being a Cool Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10394 posts
  • LocationRowley

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:24 AM

It is hard to make fun of Libertarians, they wear their crazy like a badge of honor.

<laughs maniacally>

#26 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28446 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:35 AM

I think it's fair to say it's been a bi-partisan effort.  :lol: I was watching some talking heads the other night and someone mentioned what an ass Elliot Spitzer was and then someone else mentioned what an ass Mark Sanford was.  Then someone defended Mark Sanford saying that "he didn't do anything illegal".  That would make a great tagline on his election commercials... Vote for Mark Sanford because... he hasn't done anything illegal!:covreyes:

not that i'm defending sptizer, but how much public funds went to ashley dupree? and how much public funds went to sanford hiking the appalachian trail? big difference, imho.the thing that gets me bothered is the hypocrisy, on both sides. the pubs actually had 'family values' in their national platform years ago. and then refused to distance themselves from, shun their politicians that strayed from that position. if you're a politician, regardless of your political stripe, just ####ing own who you are. own it. instead of saying that you didn't inhale, say, "hell yes i smoked. and after i did that, i drank the bong water, too." don't say you have a wide stance. own up. "yep. i was looking for a young hot stud. i swing both ways. what does my sexual orientation have to do with how i have served the people of idaho? look at my record of service, what i've done and decide at the voting booth."i think that is what weiner is trying to do, albeit a little too late.

#27 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23248 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:46 AM

The stories going around about San Diego's Filner is that when women wanted to complain, they were told by Dem Party leaders not to because the dems needed every one they can get in repub dominated SD.

#28 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73137 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

the thing that gets me bothered is the hypocrisy, on both sides. the pubs actually had 'family values' in their national platform years ago.

I agree, but at least let's note that the "family values" campaign was over 20yrs ago.  easy to harp on for sure, but has been long removed from the party campaign tactics since GHWB's run against Clinton.

and yes, own up to who you are.  citing Carlin "Americans like their bullshit up front where they can get a good strong whiff of it"

#29 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23248 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:37 AM

I agree, but at least let's note that the "family values" campaign was over 20yrs ago.  easy to harp on for sure, but has been long removed from the party campaign tactics since GHWB's run against Clinton. and yes, own up to who you are.  citing Carlin "Americans like their bullshit up front where they can get a good strong whiff of it"

Ever wonder why The Newtster kind of disappeared? He was the big mover and shaker in for the repubs, then he just announced he was going away. And he pretty much did go away for a few years.Turns out that right in the thick middle of the repubs trying to skewer Clinton over the Monica situation, Newt was doing the exact same thing with his assistant. How sweet would it have been to see that exposed at that time?

#30 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73137 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

Ever wonder why The Newtster kind of disappeared? He was the big mover and shaker in for the repubs, then he just announced he was going away. And he pretty much did go away for a few years.Turns out that right in the thick middle of the repubs trying to skewer Clinton over the Monica situation, Newt was doing the exact same thing with his assistant. How sweet would it have been to see that exposed at that time?

woulda been funny as ####.

#31 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38847 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

Does this come down to a strain of person who is powerful, rich, used to getting their way, arrogant, etc?  I mean, come on... our history is filled with guys like this who think they can do anything they want and they don't have to pay the price.  You would think they would've learned something by now.  Edwards strikes me as particularly spoiled and snotty. Attorney, golden boy of the neighborhood with the $500 haircut or whatever.  Good looks, promising political career, a presidential run and all of that.  Oh, my videographer (is that what Rielle Hunter was?) likes me and wants to screw me and my wife is battling cancer?  What could possibly go wrong?  I'm John Edwards for Chrissake!  <_<

#32 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73137 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

Does this come down to a strain of person who is powerful, rich, used to getting their way, arrogant, etc?  I mean, come on... our history is filled with guys like this who think they can do anything they want and they don't have to pay the price.  You would think they would've learned something by now.  Edwards strikes me as particularly spoiled and snotty. Attorney, golden boy of the neighborhood with the $500 haircut or whatever.  Good looks, promising political career, a presidential run and all of that.  Oh, my videographer (is that what Rielle Hunter was?) likes me and wants to screw me and my wife is battling cancer?  What could possibly go wrong?  I'm John Edwards for Chrissake!  <_<

i think you have to be fairly narcissistic to be a politician like this to begin with.  while i'm no shrink, I feel this narcissism tends to border on sociopathic behavior.  they feel there are no consequences or the rules don't apply to them.

#33 japh

japh

Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11231 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

i think you have to be fairly narcissistic to be a politician like this to begin with.  while i'm no shrink, I feel this narcissism tends to border on sociopathic behavior.  they feel there are no consequences or the rules don't apply to them.

There's some of that, but I don't know if politicians are more likely to have these indiscretions than others or if we just hear about it more.  I mean, if 1% of people cheat in a given year, and 1/5 get caught in any given year, then we should hear about a sex scandal from Congress every year.

#34 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19589 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

I think there's unquestionably an element of being rich and powerful and being surrounded by people who tell you you're so special.  Big name athletes exhibit the same behavior but even worse.  

#35 Enid Puceflange

Enid Puceflange

Old Squinty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6591 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

The thing I despise is when I go to the doctor's office, which as you get older gets more frequent, they always seem to have Fox news on. Maybe it's just around here, but it is irritating. By the time the lil nurse comes out to take my BP I'm already worked up.

What you need is one of these:

Posted Image

https://www.thinkgee...uct/9a06/?srp=4

$10, and the doctor's TV is your bitch.

#36 japh

japh

Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11231 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

Regardless of the politics involved, I can't watch Fox News for any length of time due to the business of the screen. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: politics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users