30 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

I have it on tap right now and used the hops that were just referred to as "German Hallertau". This gets fuzzy because sometimes they're labeled as HALLERTAU but in the description, they'll say THESE HOPS FROM THE MITTELFRUH REGION CAN BE USED AS.... so it's unclear how they label them but I like any of them as a late hop. In my versions I have used the dehusked carafa III and I really like it. I just used it again yesterday in my Bordertown Dark Lager recipe. Cheers Ettels & good luck getting it made.

#22 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:44 PM

I have it on tap right now and used the hops that were just referred to as "German Hallertau". This gets fuzzy because sometimes they're labeled as HALLERTAU but in the description, they'll say THESE HOPS FROM THE MITTELFRUH REGION CAN BE USED AS.... so it's unclear how they label them but I like any of them as a late hop. In my versions I have used the dehusked carafa III and I really like it. I just used it again yesterday in my Bordertown Dark Lager recipe. Cheers Ettels & good luck getting it made.

At that small quantity do you get something from the carafe sp. III other than color?

Edited by ettels4, 08 August 2014 - 01:44 PM.

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:19 PM

At that small quantity do you get something from the carafe sp. III other than color?

When I'm brewing with it, my house and garage have a slightly roasty & coffee-like aroma but in the finished beer there is very little of that. The Csrafa III is lending some flavor but it's not a coffee-bomb or anything like that. Possibly more flavor than you might get from MW but it's very nice and I'm not into overly-roasty.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:59 PM

Posting a nice shot of this beer. The keg was hit HARD over Labor Day weekend and it's gotta be just about gone because the beer running from the faucet is looking pretty much filtered...Posted ImageHuh. Outta focus. Damn, I need a photography class or something. :P

Edited by KenLenard, 24 September 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#25 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1961 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:32 PM

Posting a nice shot of this beer. The keg was hit HARD over Labor Day weekend and it's gotta be just about gone because the beer running from the faucet is looking pretty much filtered...Huh. Outta focus. Damn, I need a photography class or something. :P

I think a flash would have made it pop nicely  :P

and nice looking beer!

#26 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:35 PM

Outta focus.

managed to get that weber in good focus though.

#27 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:03 PM

managed to get that weber in good focus though.

I know... why would my camera put the foreground in fuzz and keep everything in the background focused? Anyway, here's one where the beer is in focus. This beer doesn't just look good, it's having a very fun time with my tastebuds as well. Such a great recipe and this may be the 3rd time I have made it now and I'm liking it very much. I don't have any more 2308 but I may pick more up just to make this beer. It's fantastic.Posted Image

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:05 AM

Tomorrow (Sat 5/30) I'm going to make Jamil's Vienna again and I decided to try it with WLP940 because I have it up and running. I'm not sure if this is going to push the beer into Negra Modelo territory but I wouldn't be disappointed if it did. The original yeast is 2308 which does an OUTSTANDING job on this beer and I have 2308 in an Activator in the fridge so I could always make it the normal way at some point. The recipe should be pretty much the same except for the yeast. Cheers.

#29 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1961 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:16 PM

Any thoughts on using 34/70 for this beer?

#30 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:33 PM

Any thoughts on using 34/70 for this beer?

I don't see why not

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:59 AM

I don't see why not

Agreed. I have said this before but I generally put lagers yeasts into a "pilsnery" group and a non-pilsnery group. Yeasts like 2124, 830, 2278, 2782, 2002, 2000, 2001, 800, 802, etc. get you that pilsner character where I feel like 2308, 2206, 833, 838, 2633 and some others are better for V/M/O, bocks, etc. 940 is a distinctive strain that makes very nice pale lagers as well as something like a Victoria or Nego Modelo type beer. I can't see going wrong with 34/70 although I have never brewed with it.Super-smooth brewday today. My kitchen smells like Mexican Lager yeast because I racked my Hacienda Lager to secondary & saved the 940 for Jamil's Vienna. This really is an outstanding yeast and I love brewing with it because of that distinct character. The only other observation today is that we're one day away from June and yet the temps are in the 50s today. Thanks Obama! :D Cheers Beerheads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users