#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:41 AM

10 lbs. Maris Otter Pale.5 lb. American Caramel 40L1 lb. Belgian CaraPils1 lb. Cane Sugar2 packs - Safale US-05 dry yeastHop Schedule:90 min - 1oz Simcoe60 min - .25oz each Columbus/Simcoe 30 min - .25oz each Columbus/Simcoe15 min - .75oz each Columbus/Simcoe10 min - 1oz CascadeF/O - .5oz each Columbus/SimcoeDH - .5oz each Columbus/Simcoe/Amarillo/CentennialDry hop in secondary for one week. 90 IBU's...OG - 1.068 FG - 1.014 SRM - 15 IBU - 95 ABV 7.1%This is a very crisp and citrusy and is more of an Imperial IPA (based on BJCP standards). Can't wait to fire this up in the kettle...Thoughts or suggestions?

#2 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:48 AM

10 lbs. Maris Otter Pale.5 lb. American Caramel 40L1 lb. Belgian CaraPils1 lb. Cane Sugar2 packs - Safale US-05 dry yeastHop Schedule:90 min - 1oz Simcoe60 min - .25oz each Columbus/Simcoe 30 min - .25oz each Columbus/Simcoe15 min - .75oz each Columbus/Simcoe10 min - 1oz CascadeF/O - .5oz each Columbus/SimcoeDH - .5oz each Columbus/Simcoe/Amarillo/CentennialDry hop in secondary for one week. 90 IBU's...OG - 1.068 FG - 1.014 SRM - 15 IBU - 95 ABV 7.1%This is a very crisp and citrusy and is more of an Imperial IPA (based on BJCP standards). Can't wait to fire this up in the kettle...Thoughts or suggestions?

Yeah make 10 gallons of it .....drink 5 when it's ready and put 5 away for about 6 months or so.

#3 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:09 PM

Do IPA's only get better with age? Unlike hefe's who are best drunk younger?

#4 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:18 PM

IPAs do tend to get smoother with age, butr also tend to lose some of the hop bite that some people enjoy. Ideal time to drink depends on what your likes are. If you do as gumballhead suggests, it would be a good way for you to see the potentially dramatic effects of aging, and decide which you like better.

#5 NomNomHopzinator

NomNomHopzinator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:23 PM

IPAs do tend to get smoother with age, butr also tend to lose some of the hop bite that some people enjoy. Ideal time to drink depends on what your likes are. If you do as gumballhead suggests, it would be a good way for you to see the potentially dramatic effects of aging, and decide which you like better.

I love keeping tabs on the bitterness and how it changes with aging...sadly it goes down over time :cheers: . I have noticed with all of my brews so far that the bitterness takes quite a bit of a dive within a couple of weeks of bottling and then seems to stabilize after a month. Probably has to do with oxidation and the short lifetime of the really unstable alpha-acids. I agree though with above, how long you let it age depends on what you want to taste. I like them both young and old :cheers:

#6 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:05 PM

My only question is why add the carapils but then sub sugar for base malt? I would probably just go with 11.5 lbs of MO or whatever amount ended up at the OG target and mash a little on the low side if you wanted it crisp and dry.

#7 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:44 AM

For this particular batch, I only had a 10lb. bag of MO. And I wanted to bump up the OG so I added some cane sugar. Next time I'm just going use 2-row, MO is much more expensive and I couldn't really tell the difference.Glad this thread came back up because I just had my first bottle of this over the weekend. It tastes great but I was hoping to have more of a citrusy aroma to it. The aroma is good but it's more of a piney than what I was hoping for. I think next time I'll dry hop with just cascades and simcoe. I'll be interested to see how the flavor changes as it ages. I'm going to put a 12-pack away for a couple months to check the flavor then.

#8 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:43 PM

For this particular batch, I only had a 10lb. bag of MO. And I wanted to bump up the OG so I added some cane sugar. Next time I'm just going use 2-row, MO is much more expensive and I couldn't really tell the difference.Glad this thread came back up because I just had my first bottle of this over the weekend. It tastes great but I was hoping to have more of a citrusy aroma to it. The aroma is good but it's more of a piney than what I was hoping for. I think next time I'll dry hop with just cascades and simcoe. I'll be interested to see how the flavor changes as it ages. I'm going to put a 12-pack away for a couple months to check the flavor then.

IMHO, If you want more of the citrus and less of the pine, Amarillo, Cascade, or Centennial for flavor, aroma, and dry-hopping are hard to beat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users