#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:40 AM

So I'm struggling trying to figure out what brew to make this weekend. So I think i'm going to try and make up a SNPA clone. Here is the recipe that I've come up with. I was originally thinking of dry hopping, but instead I think I am going to FWH with the Perle. What do you guys think about this?SNPA Clone1A ProMash Recipe ReportBJCP Style and Style Guidelines-------------------------------06-A American Pale Ales, American Pale AleMin OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.056Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 40Min Clr: 4 Max Clr: 11 Color in SRM, LovibondRecipe Specifics----------------Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00Total Grain (Lbs): 8.60Anticipated OG: 1.053 Plato: 13.20Anticipated SRM: 9.1Anticipated IBU: 71.7Brewhouse Efficiency: 87 %Wort Boil Time: 60 MinutesPre-Boil Amounts----------------Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per HourPre-Boil Wort Size: 5.88 GalPre-Boil Gravity: 1.045 SG 11.30 PlatoFormulas Used-------------Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.Color Formula Used: MoreyHop IBU Formula Used: RagerAdditional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %Additional Utilization Used For First Wort Hops: -10 %Grain/Extract/Sugar % Amount Name Origin Potential SRM----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 86.0 7.40 lbs. Pale Malt -- Paul's England 1.036 3 14.0 1.20 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.Hops Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1.00 oz. Perle Pellet 8.25 35.9 First WH 1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 27.8 60 min. 1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 5.6 10 min. 0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 2.3 5 min.Yeast-----White Labs WLP001 California Ale YeastMash Schedule-------------Mash Name: Single InfusionTotal Grain Lbs: 8.60Total Water Qts: 9.46 - Before Additional InfusionsTotal Water Gal: 2.37 - Before Additional InfusionsTun Thermal Mass: 0.00Grain Temp: 70.00 F Step Rest Start Stop Heat Infuse Infuse InfuseStep Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio---------------------------------------------------------------------------------sac rest 0 60 152 152 Infuse 166 9.46 1.10mash out 0 30 165 165 Infuse 210 3.23 1.48Total Water Qts: 12.69 - After Additional InfusionsTotal Water Gal: 3.17 - After Additional InfusionsTotal Mash Volume Gal: 3.86 - After Additional InfusionsAll temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.All infusion amounts are in Quarts.All infusion ratios are Quarts/Lbs.

#2 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:46 AM

There's a good clone recipe that I used from the NB board from a guy who spoke with someone at SNBC. Actually, I just made it again and it is currently finishing up in secondary. Some differences in that recipe are: Crystal 60 makes up 8% of the mash, Magnum hops for bittering, Perle mid boil, and a few Cascade additions to finish it off. If you want I can post up the complete recipe later on tonight.What would be rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreally cool is if there was someone here who had some insight into what actually goes into this beer. *wink* *wink*Heh, j/k basser! ...................I think you said it was cool to call you that in the last FNDC I was in. :covreyes:

Edited by OprFilth, 03 April 2009 - 09:46 AM.

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:50 AM

There's a good clone recipe that I used from the NB board from a guy who spoke with someone at SNBC. Actually, I just made it again and it is currently finishing up in secondary. Some differences in that recipe are: Crystal 60 makes up 8% of the mash, Magnum hops for bittering, Perle mid boil, and a few Cascade additions to finish it off. If you want I can post up the complete recipe later on tonight.What would be rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreally cool is if there was someone here who had some insight into what actually goes into this beer. *wink* *wink*Heh, j/k basser! ...................I think you said it was cool to call you that in the last FNDC I was in. :covreyes:

I don't think the actual SNPA has any Magnum in it. I think it is either strictly Cascade, or Perle&Cascade. I think Stone Brewing uses Magnum in almost all their beers though. :sarcasm:

#4 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:56 AM

I don't think basser is going to partake here other than telling us to go buy it from the store - which coincidentally I'm going to pick up a case of it at Costco tonight! :sarcasm:

#5 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

Looks pretty good in general - few comments though. The IBUs seem a bit high. I would recommend moving your 60minute cascade addition to flameout. Also, I think this beer just really isn't the same without dry-hopping Cascade, so maybe distribute the 60 minute addition into 1/2 flameout and 1/2 dry-hop if possible. Grainbill seems good.They do indicate using Magnum here, but perle and FWH should give you smooth bitterness as well.

#6 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:00 AM

Looks pretty good in general - few comments though. The IBUs seem a bit high. I would recommend moving your 60minute cascade addition to flameout. Also, I think this beer just really isn't the same without dry-hopping Cascade, so maybe distribute the 60 minute addition into 1/2 flameout and 1/2 dry-hop if possible. Grainbill seems good.They do indicate using Magnum here, but perle and FWH should give you smooth bitterness as well.

Awesome! I have some Magnums in the freezer. Maybe I'll toss some of those bad boys in there. Come to think of it, I have some Northern Brewer too. Maybe I'll come up with my own twist on it. :covreyes:

#7 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:10 AM

Awesome! I have some Magnums in the freezer. Maybe I'll toss some of those bad boys in there. Come to think of it, I have some Northern Brewer too. Maybe I'll come up with my own twist on it. :covreyes:

One thing I noticed after I made my comment, is that your FWH utilization is at -10. I set mine down to -65 to make it similar to the 20 minute addition rule of thumb, so this misled me when I was looking at the IBUs vs hop additions. You're probably in the IBU ballpark with what you had, so moving the cascade like I suggested would most likely result in a less bitter beer than you intend.In that case, +1 on the Magnum :sarcasm:

#8 Zulu

Zulu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:21 AM

I brew a SN clone regularly and have a few ribbons for it, and make both an IPA version with Vanguard and Northern Brewer added and also an Imperial once in awhile.Hops are fine , I use Perle at 60 Min , and I also dry hop with Cascades 1oz per 5 gal keg, just toss them in and never take them outOn grain I add a lb for 11 gallon batch of CaraPils Dextrine malt to add to the mouth feel. Without it i find the brew a little thin and I use 154 deg on my rims again to help the dextrines a bit.

#9 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25584 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:02 PM

A few years back Sierra Nevada said that they changed to a magnum & perle combination for the boil hops.Either way, you have the important elements:Simple grain billChico yeastCascades lateThat, my friend, will be beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users