#1 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:38 AM

I am not losing sleep about this but , thought i would ask . My local water report tells me some sodium 14(range is 6-39) ,copper 0 ( range is 1.3 max) ,lead 0 ( range is 0-15),barium .12( range is max of 2) ,arsenic 2( range is 0-10) so i know there report is complicated to me. They also NOTED there hardness average is 267mg/1.My beer captured book says 7 to 7.2 PH for most beers, so i took a sample to work and tested it myslef on my lab equipment. PH was 7.76,acid .001,calcium 6. This was water straight from the tap, not filtered through my sink filter. I use this water for mashing /sparging etc. All grain. So do i have high carbonate/ or high sulfate? im not sure these reports are quite detailed . Someone told me to check out palmers site , any ideas? thanks.

#2 stadelman

stadelman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:15 AM

Just looking at the pH doesn't give you nearly enough information to make any sorts of judgements. Google John Palmer's Residual Alkalinity explanation and spreadsheet. Fill in your local water report numbers to get a better idea of what will happen in the mash.

#3 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19172 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:31 AM

Yeah, you need to read up on residual alkalinity. Water pH tells you nothing meaningful. You need to know what happens when the grains hit that water.

#4 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:08 PM

Water pH is completely worthless. It doesn't matter a bit.Water has virtually no buffering ability, so the pH is going to be completely dictated by the mash.BrewBasser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users