7 replies to this topic

#1 eldernerd

eldernerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMooseville

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:31 AM

What's up Doc?Has anyone made carrot wine? I planted lots of carrots and would like a tried and proven recipe or something close

Thanks

#2 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

I have never heard of making carrot wine!  If they are sweet, it should work.  I would juice them first, check their gravity and pH and make adjustments with sugar and lemon juice as needed.  Campden it, wait 24 hours and then pitch some yeast.  

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

kit's apparently good with a dry hop

#4 eldernerd

eldernerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMooseville

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

Thanks, Jack Kellers site had one called Carrot Whisky. With 3 lbs of sugar for the gallon puts it close ro 20% so its strong. He adds the sugar in stages.

kit's apparently good with a dry hop

It has wheat and I like the idea of a dry hop added to it. Maybe 3 ounces per gallon?

But i'm puzzeled a bit. Jack calls for 6 lbs of carrots, boil the carrots in 7 pints of water for 30 min and then apperently uses only the water that the carrots were boiled in. :banghead:

Should I Make some potatoes and minestrone soup at the same time and have a feast.

[*]6 lbs carrots[*]3 lbs finely granulated sugar[*]1 lb wheat [*]1 tblsp chopped raisins[*]2 oranges[*]2 lemons[*]7 pts water[*]wine yeast[/list]

Thanks for everyones input. I have time as the carrots wont be ready till october and as usually I like to mess with the recipe. I'll post the one I use along with the Taste results.

#5 eldernerd

eldernerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMooseville

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

Update,  me being curious and wanting to try a small batch I had carrots for supper on the 21st and made a 1 gallon batch.

I added all the sugar at once (WADA) and the OG was 1.160

I tuought this was too high but had a vial of WL-099 Super high gravity yeast I wanted to try.

when all was at 76 deg I pitched the yeast and crossed my fingers.

The next morning I had a nice ferment going, I stirred the first 5 days then kinda let it alone

Today I racked into a 1 gal glass and measured the SG. IT was 1.035

Its still going strong. It had a real nice taste but not alcohol taste. Sweet still.  I could taste the wheat and a hint of the orange but the carrots were gone.

The ph was at about 4.0 so I added some acid blend. The ph was at 3.6 in the begining. I'd up the lemons next batch.

I'm Thinking this is going to be a strong but mello wine. Very Nice flavor and feel, ABV should be about 22% but you'd never know by taste, at least not yet anyway

Cant wait fo taste it after it ages a bit, if it lasts that long.

#6 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

Wow!  Off the wall!  I like it 

#7 eldernerd

eldernerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMooseville

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

yeah. I like weird things. I want to try them all.

It looks like the wl099 stopped at 21.9 abv which will leave it at 1.025 SG. Kinda sweet.

I can see it starting to clear, a sign the fermetion is done.  You know the clearng travles down the bottle.

So I'm thinking its done and will stabilize it tonight.

When its clear I'll taste it again and let you know what I think of it.

Jack says to wait a year... yeah right

#8 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:03 AM

Wow that yeast tore right through it 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users