#1 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

When taking the pre boil gravity reading when you are also first wort hopping wont the hops affect the gravity of the wort or is this taken for granted in what you are looking for.Dan

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

Nope. In order for something to affect gravity, it has to be dissolved into solution.

#3 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

Cool, Thanks. Makes since now that you say it.Dan

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Nope. In order for something to affect gravity, it has to be dissolved into solution.

poodles! in before the lock. etc.

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:30 AM

When taking the pre boil gravity reading when you are also first wort hopping wont the hops affect the gravity of the wort or is this taken for granted in what you are looking for.Dan

If you have pellet hops floating around in your hydro sample, yes they will affect the gravity reading. Take the reading before you add the hops.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

If you have pellet hops floating around in your hydro sample, yes they will affect the gravity reading. Take the reading before you add the hops.

That's tough to do with FWH. B)I don't bother when that is the case.

#7 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

Shouldn't be that hard. Just get the sample before you add the hops to the kettle. Or pull the tubing off of the kettle long enough to grab a sample.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

Shouldn't be that hard. Just get the sample before you add the hops to the kettle. Or pull the tubing off of the kettle long enough to grab a sample.

When I first wort hop the only thing in the kettle when I add hops is air.

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

poodles! in before the lock. etc.

I made a conscious effort to avoid the comparison....

#10 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

I haven't noticed that. Next time I FWH with pellets, I'll take gravity reading both before and after adding them.

#11 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

I haven't noticed that. Next time I FWH with pellets, I'll take gravity reading both before and after adding them.

please do

#12 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

Yes do. You'll see that if they're still in suspension, the hydrometer must lift them, which makes it float higher and read a higher gravity. When all that stuff settles out, the hydrometer will sink and read lower.

#13 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

Yes do. You'll see that if they're still in suspension, the hydrometer must lift them, which makes it float higher and read a higher gravity. When all that stuff settles out, the hydrometer will sink and read lower.

I don't understand - when are you guys adding your first wort hops?Two cups at my place, one with tap water, one with about 8 dissolved pellets in tap water. Same temp - 1.000 . I don't think the particles are fine enough. Of course n=1

#14 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

I don't understand - when are you guys adding your first wort hops?Two cups at my place, one with tap water, one with about 8 dissolved pellets in tap water. Same temp - 1.000 . I don't think the particles are fine enough. Of course n=1

when are you adding them?I have always put them in the kettle before mash runoff, they are in there when the first wort comes from the tun.

#15 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

when are you adding them?I have always put them in the kettle before mash runoff, they are in there when the first wort comes from the tun.

The same, first thing in the kettle. I'm reading posts above that you can take a gravity before adding the FWH addition. I guess you could if you were no sparging and caught some of the initial runoff for a gravity reading.

#16 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

The same, first thing in the kettle. I'm reading posts above that you can take a gravity before adding the FWH addition. I guess you could if you were no sparging and caught some of the initial runoff for a gravity reading.

You're right. I'm a dumbass. Should still affect gravity though if they're suspended. However by the time you measure pre-boil gravity it will be so dilute that it won't matter.

#17 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

You're right. I'm a dumbass. Should still affect gravity though if they're suspended.

should they not be saturated, and thus equal to the wort in density?these discussions never get old :D

#18 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

That's what I've seen before and would expect.

#19 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

My preboil readings are taken with a refractometer. It's hard to get anything worthwhile with all the hop material already in the wort. I'm not going to bother with a hydrometer reading at that point. I just wait until the end and use the hydrometer and usually there's no surprises.

#20 SteveMillerTime

SteveMillerTime

Comptroller of Squirrel Nuts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:09 AM

I FWH all of my beers...I've never noticed a "high" gravity reading on my pre-boil even when there is particles floating in my test jar...The reason the hydrometer is floating higher or lower is due to sugar content. In theory, the only thing having any sort of floating debris in your test jar (or theif) does is makes the liquid level higher. When the hydrometer is dropped in, it pushes the debris away, the debris don't push it up.think about the way the hydrometer floats in relation to how your body floats on salt water. Your buoyancy is your buoyancy regardless if there's seaweed floating around you...when diving, you don't add more weight to your belt because you see a lot of seaweed (or other debris).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users