#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:22 AM

I'm looking to make 5 gallons. I think I have potential grain options covered. Hops I'm a bit lacking. Yeast I'm probably good. So let's review the options first. You guys tell me what you think makes sense... staring gravity: 1.055 ending gravity: 1.010 base malt: US 2-row, US 2-row pale ale, Maris Otter crystal: 60L, 75L, maybe 1 lb? chocolate: regular or pale? how much? smoked: weyermann rauch malt, 1/2 lb? I'm really unclear here. I don't have the malt yet so I don't know how smokey it will seem. bittering hops: magnum? styrian goldings? I don't have challenger or northern brewer. finishing hops: probably EKG, could also use Willamette or palisades, I don't recall this being too hoppy so I'd probably only use an oz or so. yeast: denny's fav 50 or US-05 so this should get things started...

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:08 AM

for bittering I also have columbus.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:15 AM

I found this information a while ago on another forum. This is supposedly form Steve Dressler, only Basser will know for sure:

Opening gravity 13.8 Plato Ending gravity 3.5 Plato Bitterness 33 IBU

Besides pale malt use 2.5% caramel 40, 3.5% chocolate malt and .5% smoked malt. If you can't find C-40, use C-60 but cut it back maybe 1/2 a percent.

Bittering hops are Challenger, aroma hops are Golding.

Pretty simple recipe, but makes one of my favorite seasonal. Let me know how it turns out. Good luck.
Steve

Take a look at my Smokey Brown recipe that is posted here. I think if you lower the smoke malt to 2-3% you will get something that resembles Tumbler. My beer was inspired by Tumbler but I wanted a bit more smoke but not to the point where it is overwhelming.

Also, I think if you want it to be similar to Tumbler you need to use Chico yeast.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:29 AM

I found this information a while ago on another forum. This is supposedly form Steve Dressler, only Basser will know for sure:

Opening gravity 13.8 Plato Ending gravity 3.5 Plato Bitterness 33 IBU

Besides pale malt use 2.5% caramel 40, 3.5% chocolate malt and .5% smoked malt. If you can't find C-40, use C-60 but cut it back maybe 1/2 a percent.

Bittering hops are Challenger, aroma hops are Golding.

Pretty simple recipe, but makes one of my favorite seasonal. Let me know how it turns out. Good luck.
Steve

Take a look at my Smokey Brown recipe that is posted here. I think if you lower the smoke malt to 2-3% you will get something that resembles Tumbler. My beer was inspired by Tumbler but I wanted a bit more smoke but not to the point where it is overwhelming.

Also, I think if you want it to be similar to Tumbler you need to use Chico yeast.

good information. I think their smoked content is so low b/c they smoke their own malt and it is hence WAY more smokey than the stuff I'm going to be getting from B3 in the near future.

I want the smoke to just be in the background. That's what I enjoyed about tumbler - I could still taste everything else that was going on.

Any suggestions on substitutions for the bittering challenger addition?

Isn't US-05 essentially chico or at least close enough?

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:03 AM

Perle for Chanllanger at bittering would work good. Yes S-05 is similar to Chico, 1450 would give you a different beer IMO. If you want to try the one I have made let me know. I need to bottle some up this week anyway. I agree with your comment about the smoked malt, I assume theirs is more powerful than the comercial version I got.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:16 AM

Perle for Chanllanger at bittering would work good.

Yes S-05 is similar to Chico, 1450 would give you a different beer IMO.

If you want to try the one I have made let me know. I need to bottle some up this week anyway.

I don't have any perle either. I asked about columbus b/c I think it was something like 3 degrees of seperation on the hops sub chart from brew365. challenger -> perle -> northern brewer -> columbus. in the end I guess if it's not just like tumbler I'll be fine with that as long as it's tasty.

I don't really have a good feel for 1450. even though I've used it a bunch of times I've never really used it in something that I was familiar enough with to pick out what aspects of the finished product were from the yeast. either way - it seems like US-05 would be a good choice and it means I don't have to make a starter (W00T!).

I'd never turn down beer from a fellow brother. That's up to you if you though - no pressure. I really wish I had someone close by who was as into this as I am and could help me pick out issues and off flavors and the like or at least convince me it's all in my head :P

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:29 AM

I think Magnum or CTZ would be fine for bittering. I went NB, and I see you do not have that, because I like the earthy component I get from it. I think for finishing Willamette would be good.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

what is ctz?

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

what is ctz?

Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus AKA Columbus

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus AKA Columbus

ah.

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16627 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

When a recipe like the one above specifies "Golding" as the hop of choice... is it assumed to be "U.S. Golding" as "East Kent", "UK" or any other origin is not specified? I only ask because I have read that the differences aren't always subtle, especially for flavor and aroma.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

When a recipe like the one above specifies "Golding" as the hop of choice... is it assumed to be "U.S. Golding" as "East Kent", "UK" or any other origin is not specified? I only ask because I have read that the differences aren't always subtle, especially for flavor and aroma.

I'm guessing here it's the non EKG type actually. So I'll probably use wilamette. I could use styrian golding but I'm not a huge fan of them.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

Looking at the website they specify Yakima Goldings.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

Looking at the website they specify Yakima Goldings.

I'm not familiar with that one. is that just "US goldings" from yakima?

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

I'm not familiar with that one. is that just "US goldings" from yakima?

Yes

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

so going back and looking at drez's recipe:

Size: 6.0 gal
Efficiency: 70%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 207.89 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.062 (1.045 - 1.060)
|==========================#=====|
Terminal Gravity: 1.016 (1.010 - 1.016)
|======================#=========|
Color: 27.7 (18.0 - 35.0)
|=================#==============|
Alcohol: 6.14% (4.3% - 6.2%)
|=======================#========|
Bitterness: 40.6 (20.0 - 40.0)
|========================#=======|

Ingredients:
9 lb (58.1%) Canadian 2-Row Malt - added during mash
2 lb (12.9%) Munich Malt - added during mash
2 lb (12.9%) Smoked Malt - added during mash
1 lb (6.5%) English Chocolate Malt - added during mash
.75 lb (4.8%) Caramel Malt 40L - added during mash
.5 lb (3.2%) Caramel Malt 120L - added during mash
.25 lb (1.6%) Barley Flaked - added during mash
28 g (27.5%) Northern Brewer (8.9%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
15 g (14.7%) Cascade (5.3%) - added during boil, boiled 15 m
15 g (14.7%) Willamette (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 m
22 g (21.6%) Cascade (5.3%) - added during boil, boiled 5 m
22 g (21.6%) Willamette (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5 m

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:03:00 Mash In - Liquor: 5.0 gal; Strike: 165.34 °F; Target: 153 °F
00:48:00 Sac rest - Rest: 45 m; Final: 153.0 °F
01:00:00 Raise to Mash Out - Heat: 12 m; Target: 165 °F
01:00:00 Mash Out - Rest: 0.0 m; Final: 165.0 °F
01:00:00 Batch Sparge - First runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 0.0 m; Sparge : 4.12 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 0.0 m; Total Runoff: 7.37 gal

seems like quite a bit of smoked malt! so given this - for 5 gallons what do you think? I was originally thinking about 1/2 lb, maybe I should do more like 3/4 lb?

it seems like you were going for something with a little more complexity than tumbler. I guess I'll see when I taste it :)

this will be handy when formulating my own recipe. my ingredients are showing up on tuesday so hopefully I can brew the following weekend.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

so going back and looking at drez's recipe:

seems like quite a bit of smoked malt! so given this - for 5 gallons what do you think? I was originally thinking about 1/2 lb, maybe I should do more like 3/4 lb?

it seems like you were going for something with a little more complexity than tumbler. I guess I'll see when I taste it :)

this will be handy when formulating my own recipe. my ingredients are showing up on tuesday so hopefully I can brew the following weekend.

I had one last night as I was bottling and still think it is not overly smokey. Maybe my perception of smokiness in a beer is different than yours though.

I would imagine you will have the bottles by early next week seeing it should not take long to get to you. One thing to keep in mind with those samples is that I split the chocolate up in that version 50-50 between regular and pale chocolate.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

I had one last night as I was bottling and still think it is not overly smokey. Maybe my perception of smokiness in a beer is different than yours though.

I would imagine you will have the bottles by early next week seeing it should not take long to get to you. One thing to keep in mind with those samples is that I split the chocolate up in that version 50-50 between regular and pale chocolate.

good to know. I may use a little pale as well even though that's not exactly tumbler.

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

good to know. I may use a little pale as well even though that's not exactly tumbler.

I tend to split my chocolate up on all my beers just to add some complexity.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

I tend to split my chocolate up on all my beers just to add some complexity.

well on something like a brown ale it certainly doesn't seem like a bad idea. if I were to do it on a porter or stout I'd probably want to compensate with more overall chocolate (regular + pale combined) if I was using a good amount of pale.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users