#1 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

pH 7.9TDS 190Sodium 4Potassium <1Calcium 45Magnesium 12Total Hardness 163Sulfate 2Chloride 6Carbonate <1Bicarbonate 185Total Alkalinity 152Phosphorus 0.49Iron 0.01Apparently I need to be adding a lot of bicarbonate to be more accurate with the Franco-Belgian styles that I often make. Question is are there any styles for which this water is well suited with minimal additions?

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Amber Ale?

#3 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

httpss://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

Apparently I need to be adding a lot of bicarbonate to be more accurate with the Franco-Belgian styles that I often make.

Where did you get that from? There's already a lot of bicarb in your water. I'd recommend going the other way and either reducing bicarb or adding calcium chloride especially for pale ones like saisons, tripels and BGSAs..

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

Where did you get that from? There's already a lot of bicarb in your water. I'd recommend going the other way and either reducing bicarb or adding calcium chloride especially for pale ones like saisons, tripels and BGSAs..

Yep. That's about twice the bicarb I have and I need to do a 50% distilled dilution for pils, tripel, etc.

#6 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Maybe I'm misreading Farmhouse Ales water tables?

#7 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

At the top of p. 154 it says that most brewers in the region treat their water with lactic acid. I don't see the point of adding salts to the water only to have to treat it with acid. Note that the water profile is provided for reference. Nowhere does the book actually recommend duplicating that profile. Also on p. 159 it suggests that you might want to consider adding sulfate (gypsum) to the water to counteract the bicarbonates when brewing saisons.

#8 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

At the top of p. 154 it says that most brewers in the region treat their water with lactic acid. I don't see the point of adding salts to the water only to have to treat it with acid. Note that the water profile is provided for reference. Nowhere does the book actually recommend duplicating that profile. Also on p. 159 it suggests that you might want to consider adding sulfate (gypsum) to the water to counteract the bicarbonates when brewing saisons.

So you're saying I got no chance of winning the Ken Lenard Trophy this year?

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

So you're saying I got no chance of winning the Ken Lenard Trophy this year?

:frank:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users