#1 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

I was under the impression that mead takes almost a year to be ready, but my neighbor says it only take 3 months. Am I wrong?

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

The answer as usual, is "it depends". It can be made quickly. There's a guy that Guest knows in Denver that wins big time awards and his meads only take several months. I've tried them and they're outstanding. Some types really require years of aging to come around. A lot of melomels that are left a little sweet can be ready much quicker, especially if you use fruit juice or concentrate instead of whole fruit.

#3 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

As Mtn said "it depends". However using a staggerd nutrient addition schedule, controlled temps, and a relatively quick yeast such as 71b-1122, some meads are ready in 2-3 months. I think the guys in Minn. are turning some in 6 weeks.

#4 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

It does depend. Some - not all - of the variables are OG (the higher the longer), the yeast (try using Wyeast 3711 for a short ferment), nutrient additions, temperature (nurse one along in the 60s and you'll be at it a while), and complexity of ingredients. I've had meads drinkable in 6-8 months with no off flavors. Not the norm, but it can be done.

Edited by armagh, 01 January 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#5 Corbin

Corbin

Comptroller of Annoying-assed Threads That Go Too Freaking Long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10630 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

The answer as usual, is "it depends". It can be made quickly. There's a guy that Guest knows in Denver that wins big time awards and his meads only take several months. I've tried them and they're outstanding. Some types really require years of aging to come around. A lot of melomels that are left a little sweet can be ready much quicker, especially if you use fruit juice or concentrate instead of whole fruit.

What does he do differently that has them drinkable in such a short time?

#6 Braindead

Braindead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

Yeah, what he said!

#7 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

Maybe Guest knows.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Im not speaking from any experience but I have heard of a few ways this is done. One way is to cold crash at 11-13% abv. and then stabilize. This way it finishes right where you want it to and without creating the alcohol bomb that letting the yeast go to completion can. Another way I have heard about that some meaderies are using is to crash at desired gravity/alcohol and then filter the yeast out. This is a process beyond most of our means I suspect, but it would work. With the handful of meads I have made I have yet to have a yeast finish at or below its printed alcohol tolerance. Mine always finish 1-3% higher, and I think that is the norm with SNA and a healthy fermentation. It makes it hard to get the fermentation to finish right where you want it to. In my limited experience I have noticed that many of the harshest flavors (and perhaps the ones that take the longest to age out) are produced during the end of fermentation as the yeast is inching its way toward it's tolerance. I recently made 1 gallon test batch of a cyser that I crashed and stabilized @ 1.018. I'll start sampling it at about a month to see if it becomes drinkable any faster. I am guessing the answer will be yes.

#9 Corbin

Corbin

Comptroller of Annoying-assed Threads That Go Too Freaking Long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10630 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Im not speaking from any experience but I have heard of a few ways this is done. One way is to cold crash at 11-13% abv. and then stabilize. This way it finishes right where you want it to and without creating the alcohol bomb that letting the yeast go to completion can. Another way I have heard about that some meaderies are using is to crash at desired gravity/alcohol and then filter the yeast out. This is a process beyond most of our means I suspect, but it would work.With the handful of meads I have made I have yet to have a yeast finish at or below its printed alcohol tolerance. Mine always finish 1-3% higher, and I think that is the norm with SNA and a healthy fermentation. It makes it hard to get the fermentation to finish right where you want it to. In my limited experience I have noticed that many of the harshest flavors (and perhaps the ones that take the longest to age out) are produced during the end of fermentation as the yeast is inching its way toward it's tolerance. I recently made 1 gallon test batch of a cyser that I crashed and stabilized @ 1.018. I'll start sampling it at about a month to see if it becomes drinkable any faster. I am guessing the answer will be yes.

Keep us updated on this experiment. Curious as to how it turns out.

#10 Braindead

Braindead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

Im not speaking from any experience but I have heard of a few ways this is done. One way is to cold crash at 11-13% abv. and then stabilize. This way it finishes right where you want it to and without creating the alcohol bomb that letting the yeast go to completion can. Another way I have heard about that some meaderies are using is to crash at desired gravity/alcohol and then filter the yeast out. This is a process beyond most of our means I suspect, but it would work.With the handful of meads I have made I have yet to have a yeast finish at or below its printed alcohol tolerance. Mine always finish 1-3% higher, and I think that is the norm with SNA and a healthy fermentation. It makes it hard to get the fermentation to finish right where you want it to. In my limited experience I have noticed that many of the harshest flavors (and perhaps the ones that take the longest to age out) are produced during the end of fermentation as the yeast is inching its way toward it's tolerance. I recently made 1 gallon test batch of a cyser that I crashed and stabilized @ 1.018. I'll start sampling it at about a month to see if it becomes drinkable any faster. I am guessing the answer will be yes.

Makes sense, I always get the harsh alcohol taste in Mead and Cider. Do tell about your test gallon, sounds like that's the way to go. :frank:

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Another note on that test batch. I had to leave town unexpectedly and so I threw the jug in my 39F fridge mid fermentation when it was still at 1.058. Expecting this to crash the yeast and temporarily halt fermentation I was surprised when I came home 5 days later to find there was no yeast sediment at all. The fermentation had continued the whole time it was just slower. The yeast was K1V-1116. Fermentation picked back up as it warmed and after a few more days it worked its way down to 1.018 when I crashed it again. This time the yeast fell out and I racked to sulfite/sorbate.What I don't know is if all yeasts will behave this way or will many crash out mid ferment. Also I dont know exactly why the yeast was willing to crash later, I would guess the stress of higher alcohol levels/less sugar/less nutrients? Anyhow, it would be interesting to know these things. It seems like it would be a good way to make a lower abv hydromel that could be left as sweet or dry as you like and then carbed in a keg. But to do this you would need a yeast to crash when you asked it to.I would like to try a few more batches with a similar process. Maybe a traditional and a simple melomel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users