#1 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19176 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

3 eggs, separated1/3 cup of sugar1/2 cup of bourbon1 shot of spiced rum1 quart of half-and-half (or 1 pint of milk and 1 pint of cream)nutmeg to tasteBeat the egg white with some of the sugar, then set asideBeat the egg yolks with the rest of the sugarFold the egg whites into the yolksAdd the bourbon and rum, stir to mixAdd the half-and-half, stir to mixServe in mugs with grated nutmeg on top (preferably whole nutmeg freshly grated with a microplane grater)

#2 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87341 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Ive seen some recipes that they want you to age for a couple weeks, is this a mix and serve version?

#3 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19176 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

Ive seen some recipes that they want you to age for a couple weeks, is this a mix and serve version?

That's how I've always done it. The stiff peaks in the egg whites start to lose their fluffiness after a day or two, and the drink gets a lot denser more like supermarket eggnog.

#4 bierboy

bierboy

Comptroller of Temporary Pancakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15745 posts
  • LocationThe Firey Pits of Liberal Hell

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Yeah, I heard that also and it is actually safer to do so. Interesting factoid from a show on NPR, there is a lab ran some experiments on eggnog and for one of them they purposely infected the eggnog with salmonella. After aging for a couple of weeks in the refrigerator the salmonella was destroyed and the eggnog was essentially sterile. Here is a link to the transcript.https://www.npr.org/2012/11/30/166248517/perhaps-another-reason-to-spike-that-eggnog

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16584 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Yeah, I heard that also and it is actually safer to do so. Interesting factoid from a show on NPR, there is a lab ran some experiments on eggnog and for one of them they purposely infected the eggnog with salmonella. After aging for a couple of weeks in the refrigerator the salmonella was destroyed and the eggnog was essentially sterile. Here is a link to the transcript.https://www.npr.org/...ike-that-eggnog

I make that recipe every year around mid-Nov. Eggs from friends chickens, local cream. Serve with fresh grated nutmeg on top. It is killer nog. Killer.

#6 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5401 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:51 PM

Another holiday drink that needs better placement

#7 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111716 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 12:40 PM

Dr. Lancefield's recipe is my go to. I've got a bunch in the fridge that will be old enough to drink on xmas morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users