23 replies to this topic

#1 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:39 AM

My daughter wants me to brew lime flavored beer, anybody got any suggestions on the addition of fresh limes, or lime juice, and how much in a 5 gallon batch, never tried this before and can't find anything on it.

#2 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47992 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:45 AM

I put lime syrup in Berlinner weisse.

#3 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:03 PM

My thought would be to make a light beer of sorts, maybe go with some citrusy hops (amarillo or the like), and add the lime after fermentation is complete, whether syrup or lime juice. Id be more inclined to add it direct to the glass or at least do some test trials to determine how much gives the flavor you want.

#4 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:22 PM

I put lime syrup in Berlinner weisse.

never heard of lime syrup, where would you get this? googled it and found a monins brand. and how much do you use per 5 gallon.

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47992 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:28 PM

never heard of lime syrup, where would you get this? googled it and found a monins brand. and how much do you use per 5 gallon.

It's snow cone syrup from Walmart. :P I add it to the glass, to taste. (I also have watermelon and pineapple syrup.)

#6 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:32 PM

It's snow cone syrup from Walmart. :P I add it to the glass, to taste. (I also have watermelon and pineapple syrup.)

i'll look for it , thanks.

#7 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28455 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:38 PM

Does she want it to be like budlight lime or whatever? If so just tell her to buy that cause its not worth your time...

#8 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64102 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:08 PM

If you have any bad batches laying around, just squeeze some limes into it and give it to her. :P

#9 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:12 PM

Does she want it to be like budlight lime or whatever? If so just tell her to buy that cause its not worth your time...

+1 or at least make a Mexican lager and just use a lime wedge

#10 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:32 PM

One of the Gold-medal winning meads at the 07 NHC was a "Mojito" mead with mint and lime. Mmmmmm.

#11 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:48 PM

This made me think of going to a club with a friend in 93' he told me to sqeeze the lime on the top of the corona bottle. I tried it once , without the lime it had no taste. I agree, might persuade her to buy budlight lime.

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64102 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:03 PM

One of the Gold-medal winning meads at the 07 NHC was a "Mojito" mead with mint and lime. Mmmmmm.

Let me explain this equationally:

mead != beer

beer + lime = Posted Image

#13 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26188 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:04 PM

a friend of mine does this all the time in the summer months and it yields great results - 4.5 gallons blond/pils/high gravity with caffeine/whatever + 1/2 gallon simply lime™ added to keg at packaging. Although I don't know for sure, I think the acidity would mess with bottle conditioning so this may be a keg only process.

Edited by ewanzel, 24 July 2009 - 06:05 PM.

#14 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:38 AM

Mexican lager recipeLime juice in secondary to taste.People who say it isn't worth your time to brew don't understand the concept of homebrewing in my opinion.Make what you want to make. You want to make lime beer. So make it.I would test on small volumes of beer with lime juice to get the volumes right for your secondary.Actually sounds interesting to me.BrewBasser

#15 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:04 AM

I think you'll get the best results squeezing lime into your glass.If you really want to add it during the brewing, then zesting a lime is probably the way to go and tossing some of that in at knockout.

#16 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:17 AM

I think you'll get the best results squeezing lime into your glass. If you really want to add it during the brewing, then zesting a lime is probably the way to go and tossing some of that in at knockout.

I like that idea and I would also say try zesting some lime into secondary. I had good success with that with orange peel when I brewed a Belgian Wit last year too.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:50 PM

Awhile back, I wanted to make a lemon wheat and found a recipe that called for the juice and zest of 3 or 4 lemons added to the brewpot at flameout and then more juice and zest added to the secondary. My impression was that the lemon was not as "fresh-tasting" as it would be if the lemon was squeezed into the glass. Does that make sense? There was lemony flavor in the beer but it tasted boiled or baked or cooked in some way or another... it was not like adding fresh lemon to the glass, IMO. On subsequent batches, I just made the plain wheat beer and then squeezed a lemon wedge into the beer. It's also nice to run the lemon (lime in your case) around the rim of the glass so you smell and taste the fruit when you bring the glass to your mouth. 2¢... good luck.

#18 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:22 AM

Ken -My latest Wit/Hefe (Matylda Wit) was a lemon flavored wit and it turned out to be one of my better batches. For the puposes of this thread, I imagine you can sub out the lemon for lime. My recipe is below.OG - 1.051FG - 1.010IBU - 18SRM - 4ABV - 5.3%4.5 lbs - American 2-row4 lbs - Wheat Malt1 lb - Flaked Wheat8 oz - Flaked Oats.75 oz - Mt. Hood (5.0 AAU) 60 mins .25 oz - Mt. Hood (5.0 AAU) 5 minsWYeast 3944 Belgian Witbier6 - Lemons zested1 tsp - Ground Corriander.5 tsp - Nutmeg.5 tsp - Cinnamon- Mash at 152 for 60 mins- Add spices and lemon zest at 10 mins- Ferment at 68 degrees- Garnish with lemon!Again, you can adjust the spices and probably sub out the lemon zest for lime zest.Brew on!

#19 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28455 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:46 PM

People who say it isn't worth your time to brew don't understand the concept of homebrewing in my opinion. Make what you want to make. You want to make lime beer. So make it.

When he stated someone other than him wanted this batch made rather than "I want to make lime beer" I took a page out of my own life. If someone wants a bud light type beer they can just go buy it I have tons of other recipes I'd love to brew and limited time. Want to take a spin on my jump to conclusions mat?

#20 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:19 AM

Ken - My latest Wit/Hefe (Matylda Wit) was a lemon flavored wit and it turned out to be one of my better batches. For the puposes of this thread, I imagine you can sub out the lemon for lime. My recipe is below. OG - 1.051 FG - 1.010 IBU - 18 SRM - 4 ABV - 5.3% 4.5 lbs - American 2-row 4 lbs - Wheat Malt 1 lb - Flaked Wheat 8 oz - Flaked Oats .75 oz - Mt. Hood (5.0 AAU) 60 mins .25 oz - Mt. Hood (5.0 AAU) 5 mins WYeast 3944 Belgian Witbier 6 - Lemons zested 1 tsp - Ground Corriander .5 tsp - Nutmeg .5 tsp - Cinnamon - Mash at 152 for 60 mins - Add spices and lemon zest at 10 mins - Ferment at 68 degrees - Garnish with lemon! Again, you can adjust the spices and probably sub out the lemon zest for lime zest. Brew on!

thanks this is what i was looking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users