10 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:13 AM

We talked about this in another yeast thread... harvesting yeast, adding sterile water, shaking, waiting for some stratification, pouring off the water and using the yeast on top while leaving the schputz in the bottom behind. So I have some WLP940 Mexican Lager yeast going right now and I was considering doing this when the current primary is done. But I'd like to see the process and get my feet wet before I do it for the first time with this yeast that I want to use again next week. So can I take a sample of harvested yeast (1028, WLP001, whatever) that I have in my spare fridge (probably been there for 3 or 4 months) and pour it into an erlenmeyer flask and do this trick on yeast that I don't mind screwing up? I'd like to see the process first, then do it on the yeast I want to reuse. Cheers.

#2 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14962 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:06 AM

I've never washed yeast before, but I don't see why not.

#3 cracklefish

cracklefish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationDayton, Ohio

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:53 AM

I am considering washing some yeast also. I have reused yeast that I simply saved from a batch and then dumped a cup in the next batch with no issues. Palmer paints a picture of pouring everything in w/ the sterile water, letting the crud settle and then pouring the yeast mixed with sterile water into a new amount of sterile water. In other words wash rinse repeat. This seems like a waste to me ultimately because he claims to still have some crud after the whole thing is over. Maybe you do end up with fresher, more prepared yeast but it may just be too much for me. I would definitely experiment with yeast that is "no big deal to lose" because it also seems easy to get contamination moving between multiple vessels. I would like to hear how this comes out for you and if you find it worthwhile though.

#4 TAPPER

TAPPER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationStratford, WI

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:52 AM

You certainly could do that.I wash yeast almost every batch according to the guidelines you mention above. I always make a starter in advance to be sure the yeast are ok and check for contamination. I've had great success (and saved myself some cash to boot!)

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:58 AM

In the other thread, I mention that I think I am using TOO MUCH yeast and many have said that it's entirely possible. Many times, I will harvest yeast (move a beer from primary to secondary, save the yeast in a flask) on the same day I'm making a new beer for that yeast. I will save A LOT of yeast (800ml?) and pitch the entire thing. My yeast is usually very clean... I rack from brewpot to primary after whirfloc in the boil, a quick chill, etc. and my wort is almost all crystal-clear. So I'm not as concerned about "dirty yeast" or break material as I am about simply pitching too much yeast. I think the BN podcast on this subject mentioned (Jamil, I believe) that yeast really need to grow a bit because that is when they produce the pleasant flavors that we expect to be in beer. When I go through this process, I plan to take that "cleaner" section of yeast, only take 200-300mls (at most) and toss the remainder. Cheers guys.

#6 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:41 AM

In the Oz podcast, Graham also talks about the sterile water storage of yeast. Apparently you can keep them for quite some time like that in a fridge: Namely years.

#7 Zulu

Zulu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:50 AM

In the Oz podcast, Graham also talks about the sterile water storage of yeast. Apparently you can keep them for quite some time like that in a fridge: Namely years.

Do you have a link to that podcast, I play around with storing yeast an have had mixed results

#8 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:52 AM

Do you have a link to that podcast, I play around with storing yeast an have had mixed results

https://radio.craftbrewer.org/October#2,2007October 21st, 2007Well it had to happen!!!!! John Palmer - Famous beer author is put in his place by the Brewmaster in this longer than normal program. As well, there is a roving report from Japan, and heaps of feedback. We continue our series on yeast storage, and the Weird And Wacky World of Beer returns. Can Blokeman cut it in the wine sobery world?????. Beers are tasted, fun is had, and the Cellarmans jokes get no funny-ier in this show.October#1,2007October 7th, 2007In a two part special, the brewers discuss the various methods of yeast storage, and what works best. We sample an award winning Famed Tropical Flower Wit that “almost” puts the Guru to shame, MORE evidence beer is good for you, a quick discussion on brewing in drought conditions and some new beer information sources to look up will round this program out. Be warned!!!!! The Cellarman goes on a joke rampage, and they are NOT funny. let us know how your experiment goes.

#9 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:04 AM

Ken do you use Mr. Malty? the calc has an option for re-using yeast cake and even gives a descriptor to the "trubiness" of your cake.I think it's a great idea. I have some yeast from a hoppy brew that I thought would make a great test subject for this washing technique. Have at 'er, let us know how it goes!

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:22 AM

ET: Yes, I played with the Mr. Malty calculator and I like the idea of it, but it seems that you have to wing a few things, like the "trubiness" and how thick/thin it is, etc. It was playing with that calc that got me thinking that I was repitching WAY too much yeast. On a brewing forum (with all of the talk about MAKING HUGE STARTERS and PITCH A TON OF YEAST!), it sounds ridiculous to suggest that I overpitch... but I think I do. I will be brewing later this week and I will try this process of washing the yeast and pitching a little less. Cheers.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:25 PM

So I tried it today with some White Labs 01 that I harvested a few months ago. I had it in a 12oz Harp bottle and there may have been 7-8 oz of slurry in there and maybe 1-2 oz of beer on top. I took it out of the fridge and boiled some water and let it cool. I realized that was a waste of time because this was an experiment and I planned to throw the yeast out anyway and sanitation could be thrown out the window. About 30 minutes after my bottle of slurry was taken out of the fridge, it started shifting around inside the bottle and waking up. I poured off the beer and then poured the slurry into my erlenmeyer flask. I took the boiled/cooled water and poured some into the flask and swished it around. Then I put some foil on it and put it into the fridge and checked it every so often. After about 4 hours, there was about 1/2 centimeter of liquid on the top but no distinct "stratification". I looked closer and saw a fine layer of darker schputz on the bottom, but it was very small. In between the liquid & schputz was white, creamy yeast. I assume the amount of schputz was small because I'm typically very careful about what ends up in my primary and I typically rack crystal-clear wort from brewpot to primary. So I carefully started pouring the yeast into the sink (as if I were pouring it into a primary) and it seemed very simple to pour and get a good amount of the white, clean yeast out of the flask before seeing any of the schputz. I know some people have suggested siphoning the clean yeast from that vessel into a new vessel, but it doesn't seem necessary. I would say it was a success and I will be trying it later in the week with WLP940. Thanks & Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users