#1 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

Ok once and awhile I ask the wife what she would like me to brew and this is what she came up with. First off I need a Chocolate stout recipe. What form of chocolate is best to use here, nibs, powder? Then the marshmallows. Thinking of buying a bag roasting them all and throwing them into the mash. Not really sure on amount here but would like to get a noticeable taste of them. Possibly toast some oats to gain more toasty/roasty flavor. Anybody have any tips? About any of it.

#2 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

Pinnacle and Smirnoff make a marshmallow vodka. I would home toast some base malt then use that at bottling/kegging.

#3 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

On the AHA Facebook post today, someone said they made this. They used "marshmallow candy flavour" at bottling. I don't know what that means. I assume they used chocolate malt for the other half. I'd use nibs too.

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B0000VLRGK

Edited by chils, 31 October 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:21 AM

Ok once in a while I ask the wife what she would like me to brew and this is what she came up with.

Let this be a lesson to you.

#5 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

Let this be a lesson to you.

Yeah, actually this might not be too bad. I planned on bottling this one just in case I need to give it away. Knowing my wife she will have one glass and the novelty will be over.

#6 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

If I remember correctly, a combo of nibs and vanilla bean will work for the chocolate part. I'd go with the marshmallow vodka at bottling idea to keep it easy.

#7 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

Marshmallows are just gelatin, corn syrup, table sugar, water and vanilla. When you toast them, you're creating caramelized sugars. So I would just go with the addition of vanilla beans and the use of crystal malts. Maybe add some lactose for mouth-feel and a little sweetness? As for the chocolate, the vanilla will play up the chocolate flavors. Layer in some pale chocolate and chocolate malts. Dry nib with some cacao nibs for a nice chocolaty aroma and smooth milk chocolate flavor. I would probably go for about 4 oz of nibs for 2-4 weeks.

#8 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

What would be the negatives to at least trying the roasted marshmallows in the mash?

#9 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

I got an incredible roast marshmallow flavour and aroma from "burning" honey for a mead. Take some volume of honey in a pot, nothing else, and boil it until it starts to smoke. Add water to un-syrup it. Then add it to your fermenter.

I really like this idea. I'm going to try this out for my next Porter or Stout.

#10 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Well, they use dextrose so you'll have to consider sweetness if you use too much. They also use emulsifiers which probably don't matter. I'm just thinking that there are better toasted marshmallow flavoured substances that aren't actually toasted marshmallows. The burnt honey one is unreal.

While I totally get where your coming from there's just this certain novelty/coolness factor about using real marshmallows. Kinda like pumpkin beer, you don't need the pumpkin in there but it's just something you gotta do. I suppose if I did go the real marshmallow route I wouldn't need any extra dextrine or lactose for sweetness?

Also if I went this honey route how much are we talking?

#11 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

The bochet (burnt honey) method is awesome for this. Guest, do you have any feedback on the fermentability of the honey once burnt? I love this technique but want to be able to plan attenuation for overall balance when playing with a recipe formulation.

#12 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

Meadowfoam honey is supposed to give you the flavor of toasted marshmallows.

#13 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

So how does this grain bill look so far? 14lbs. Pale Malt 1lb. C-60 1lb. Flaked Oats 1lb. Chocolate Malt 1lb. Roasted Barley .5lb. Black Patent 1lb. Lactose

#14 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

I personally would ditch the Black Patent for a Carafa, probably III. I am not a big fan of lactose either, but if you like it, go for it. Just keep in mind that it is nonfermentable and so you will want this sucker dry as a bone before you add it. How are you going for the marshmallow? I would also be inclined to back the oats, C-60, and RB down to .5 to the.75 lb range. Less is more so often.

#15 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

<p>

I personally would ditch the Black Patent for a Carafa, probably III. I am not a big fan of lactose either, but if you like it, go for it. Just keep in mind that it is nonfermentable and so you will want this sucker dry as a bone before you add it. How are you going for the marshmallow? I would also be inclined to back the oats, C-60, and RB down to .5 to the.75 lb range. Less is more so often.

Thanks for the suggestions. Not totally decided about the marshmallow part. Probably give the burnt honey thing a try. Maybe try that meadowfoam honey. Actually will probably do both and go the real roasted marshmallow route as well. The main reason is the wife has mentioned a few times already about how she's excited to roast marshmallows and contribute to a beer, so there is that.

#16 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

When do you think you would add the roasted marshmallows?

#17 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

In the mash.

#18 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

So in addition to 4oz. of cocoa nibs in secondary I was going to add some cocoa powder in the boil. I have read people adding them anywhere from 60min to 0min. So what would be best and how much?

#19 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

I've added powder at flameout. Beach

#20 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

OK, I'm getting close to brewing this just made a starter of 1084. How about the hops? I'm guessing just a 60 min addition of something as to not over power the other flavors. Any suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users