#1 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:04 AM

The wife and I recently had a toasted lager from Blue Point Brewery. Is there something similar in this forum.

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:40 AM

Dunno. Tell me what a toasted lager is and maybe I can help you find something similar.

#3 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19227 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

According to : https://www.bluepoin.../toasted-lager/

it's an American amber lager, OG of 1.054, with 28 IBU. Malts include English Pale, Crystal, Munich, Carapils, Wheat, and Belgian Caravienna.

Give me more info on the hop flavor/aroma, and I can come up with a clone. It's going to be a lager, though, do you have a setup for cold fermentation?

ETA: not necessarily a GOOD clone, but something in the general ballpark.

Edited by davelew, 08 August 2012 - 07:42 AM.

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:52 AM

So maybe something in the Vienna/Munich/O'fest realm?

#5 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:03 AM

The style is defined with too much emphasis on caramel to be in the German Lager style

American-Style Amber Lager

American-style amber lagers are light amber to amber or copper colored. They are medium bodied. There is a noticeable degree

of caramel-type malt character in flavor and often in aroma. This is a broad category in which the hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma

may be accentuated or may only be present at relatively low levels, yet noticeable. Fruity esters, diacetyl, and chill haze should be

absent.

Original Gravity (ºPlato) 1.042-1.056 (10.5-13.8 ºPlato) ● Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (ºPlato) 1.010-1.018 (2.5-4.5 ºPlato)

Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.8-4.3% (4.8-5.4%) ● Bitterness (IBU) 18-30 ● Color SRM (EBC) 6-14 (12-28 EBC)

#6 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

I'll take a stab at it....

6.5 gal batch

OG: 1.055
SRM: 10
ABV: 5.5%
IBU: 28

11.5 lbs Maris Otter; Crisp info .33 lbs American Caramel 60°L info .25 lbs Cara-Pils® Malt; Briess info .5 lbs Munich 10L Malt; Briess info .75 lbs White Wheat; Rahr info 1 oz Hallertauer Tradition (Pellets, 6.00 %AA) boiled 60 min. info 1.5 oz Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 10 min. info Yeast : WYeast 2308 Munich Lager™ info

#7 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

According to : https://www.bluepoin.../toasted-lager/

it's an American amber lager, OG of 1.054, with 28 IBU. Malts include English Pale, Crystal, Munich, Carapils, Wheat, and Belgian Caravienna.

Give me more info on the hop flavor/aroma, and I can come up with a clone. It's going to be a lager, though, do you have a setup for cold fermentation?

ETA: not necessarily a GOOD clone, but something in the general ballpark.

Yes I have another freezer and Johnston controller

#8 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19227 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

I'll take a stab at it....

6.5 gal batch

OG: 1.055
SRM: 10
ABV: 5.5%
IBU: 28

11.5 lbs Maris Otter; Crisp info .33 lbs American Caramel 60°L info .25 lbs Cara-Pils® Malt; Briess info .5 lbs Munich 10L Malt; Briess info .75 lbs White Wheat; Rahr info 1 oz Hallertauer Tradition (Pellets, 6.00 %AA) boiled 60 min. info 1.5 oz Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 10 min. info Yeast : WYeast 2308 Munich Lager™ info

Pretty close to what I came up with:

for a 5.5 gallon batch:

7.0 lbs Maris Otter
2.0 lbs Munich
1.0 lbs Caravienne
0.5 lbs Wheat malt
0.5 lbs Crystal 60
0.25 lbs Cara-pils

0.9 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0% AA) for 60 minutes
1.0 oz Cascade (6.6% AA) for 15 minutes

Wyeast 2035 American Lager yeast

#9 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:05 AM

So maybe something in the Vienna/Munich/O'fest realm?

I haven't had it for a while, but I remember it as being a lot like a pale Vienna Lager. Perhaps a little toastier, but that might be the power of suggestion.

From the flavor, I always assumed it was Vienna Malt or Vienna and Pilsner Malt with some mystery malt, which is probably the result of all the oddball malts.

The wife and I recently had a toasted lager from Blue Point Brewery. Is there something similar in this forum.

I suspect you would be happy with a good Vienna Lager recipe made with mostly Vienna Malt and maybe a couple pounds of Pilsner Malt. Maybe swap in a couple pounds of Munich and a 1/4 pound of CaraVienna if you want to try and increase the sweet and toasty flavors. I think you would be pretty close to the neighborhood of Toasted Lager, without capturing the specific unique flavor in that beer.

#10 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:46 AM

I haven't had it for a while, but I remember it as being a lot like a pale Vienna Lager. Perhaps a little toastier, but that might be the power of suggestion.

From the flavor, I always assumed it was Vienna Malt or Vienna and Pilsner Malt with some mystery malt, which is probably the result of all the oddball malts.

I suspect you would be happy with a good Vienna Lager recipe made with mostly Vienna Malt and maybe a couple pounds of Pilsner Malt. Maybe swap in a couple pounds of Munich and a 1/4 pound of CaraVienna if you want to try and increase the sweet and toasty flavors. I think you would be pretty close to the neighborhood of Toasted Lager, without capturing the specific unique flavor in that beer.

Thanks Brauer, I think that I will try both of the above recipes and see from there

#11 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

I think simpler would work better in this situation. Make a nice basic vienna lager recipe, but home toast some of the Pils and/or vienna malt before mashing.

#12 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

I think simpler would work better in this situation. Make a nice basic vienna lager recipe, but home toast some of the Pils and/or vienna malt before mashing.

Good idea

#13 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

I always thought that the mystery malt in this beer was some oven toasted malt. I'm surprised that it has such a complicated grain bill.

#14 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:10 AM

https://www.homebrew...ed-lager-23937/

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54206 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

It's very similar to my Corner Tap Lager. The recipe is on my site. I was out on Long Island visiting some buds a few years ago and tasted one. As soon as I tried it, I said, "They stole my Corner Tap recipe!" Very, very similar beers, IMO.

#16 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

I had a 22 oz'r of this when I was down in Florida over last weekend. It's really good! There is a slight toasted flavor that maybe comes from a Victory or Biscuit malt addition? It's delicious so I might add Ken's recipe to my rotation. Ken - looks like you used an standard American Lager yeast?

Edited by chadm75, 17 August 2012 - 07:47 AM.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54206 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

I had a 22 oz'r of this when I was down in Florida over last weekend. It's really good! There is a slight toasted flavor that maybe comes from a Victory or Biscuit malt addition? It's delicious so I might add Ken's recipe to my rotation.

Ken - looks like you used an standard American Lager yeast?

I did. That was just serendipity but the first time I made the beer it ended up on tap in September & October and it was just a perfect beer for the 65° to 75° temps of the late summer and early fall. I have made it with 830, 2124 and even 2112 but I thought the 840 came out very nicely. If you think an American lager yeast wouldn't sit well with your tastebuds, you could easily swap it out for just about any lager yeast you like. Cheers.

#18 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

I did. That was just serendipity but the first time I made the beer it ended up on tap in September & October and it was just a perfect beer for the 65° to 75° temps of the late summer and early fall. I have made it with 830, 2124 and even 2112 but I thought the 840 came out very nicely. If you think an American lager yeast wouldn't sit well with your tastebuds, you could easily swap it out for just about any lager yeast you like. Cheers.

Ken I want to make this and have a chamber to lager with, but I was wondering if you needed to keep it at lagering temps for the whole aging of the beer. In other words, is there some point where you can just story it in your basement at around 66-68 degrees for aging?

#19 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

Ken I want to make this and have a chamber to lager with, but I was wondering if you needed to keep it at lagering temps for the whole aging of the beer. In other words, is there some point where you can just story it in your basement at around 66-68 degrees for aging?

It needs to be lagered at cold temps, the colder the better. I lager at 35°F and would go colder but when I do that I run the risk of actually freezing the beer due to stratification in my freezer. The colder you lager, the longer you need to lager but the better the results are in the end. Some people lager in the low 40's and get good results but I think you get better results in the low-mid 30's.

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54206 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

I agree with MTN but this is always one of those things with homebrewers. Cold storage is always at a premium so sometimes you have to decide what to do. With my current setup, I have 2 small serving fridges and a small "lager primary" fridge along with a full-sized fridge which is used for cold, carbed kegs (of which I can fit 3) along with a 10-lb CO2 tank and one (1) secondary. That one secondary is almost always a lager and may sit there for anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks at which point it would be transferred to a keg and carbed up where it may sit cold in that state for another 2-4 weeks depending on what's going on. That fridge is set to 35° so my lagers typically get somewhere between 4 weeks and 10 weeks of cold lagering. As MTN said, the longer the better but it's possible that if you do everything properly up front and ferment the beer correctly, you may be able to have a shorter lagering time and still have good lager beer. I honestly don't think that making lagers is all that tough but the storage and patience can be tricky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users