Photo
- - - - -

Lagunitas Brewery's House Flavor. Is it Denny's Favorite 50?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25478 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

Does anybody know what Lagunitas Brewery uses for it's house yeast?Lagunitas Brewing in Petaluma, California is one of my favorite breweries. They brew interesting beers and have good sense of humor. One thing I have noticed is all their beers have a specific house flavor.Every time I drink a Lagunitas beer, I am reminded of the house flavor. I describe the flavor as a malty sweetness, that adds a certain sticky mouthfeel typical to Lagunitas beers.I have never noticed it in other beers. I have tried to identify the source of this flavor, without success.Until now.I recently brewed a latest Community Brew, Spring 2012. I used the recommended Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50. The beer I brewed has the Lagunitas flavor. I am thinking Lagunitas uses the Brewtek CL-50: AKA W\yeast 140, Denny's Favorite 50.Can anybody confirm what Lagunitas uses for yeast?

#2 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

Not sure the specific strain, but it is an English strain.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:44 AM

They mentioned on the Can You Brew It episodes on the Brewing Network it was WLP002 or Wyeast 1968 depending on the beer.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:45 AM

They mentioned on the Can You Brew It episodes on the Brewing Network it was WLP002 or Wyeast 1968 depending on the beer.ETA: They also mash real high. I believe they said they mash their IPA at 160!

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:03 AM

They mentioned on the Can You Brew It episodes on the Brewing Network it was WLP002 or Wyeast 1968 depending on the beer.

they recommended WY 1028 for the Hop Stupid challenge they put out for NHC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users