#1 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:26 PM

I just spent the last 3.5 hours bottling two separate 5 gallon batches. It was teh suck! It was two batches i made for friends, im so glad i keg. I hope i dont have to do this again for a long while.

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:36 PM

I just spent the last 3.5 hours bottling two separate 5 gallon batches. It was teh suck! It was two batches i made for friends, im so glad i keg. I hope i dont have to do this again for a long while.

Did you do traditional bottling or counter filler from the keg? You are right bottling sucks and thanks for kegs. I salute you though if you bottled two batches for a friend? I would have had the friend come and help at least if it were me. I think you better throw one back now!!

#3 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:34 PM

I sure hope it was their birthday, or I would've expected to have them there to bottle it themselves.If I bottle for someone, I only bottle a few at a time, definitely not 5 gallons, or a full batch (10 gallons).I do have a beer gun, but only use it for when I am bottling a batch at at time (does not happen very often).For just a few bottles, I use a picnic faucet and lower the pressure so that it doesn't foam much, and then cap right away. It works at least for the short term.

#4 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:24 AM

Yea, said buddy was *supposed* to come by and help, but he had some work stuff come up. I had everything set up and sanitized so it was just as easy to just plug away at it. btw, no beer gun, itll be naturally carbonated. I added 2/3 cup of sugar to 2 cups water and boiled for 15 mins, then cooled and added to bottling bucket before filling. Heres to kegging! :angry:

#5 Salsgebom

Salsgebom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:21 PM

Yeah I just say no to bottling now. I've had several requests for bottles of my beer and I just tell them it's not possible for my setup (which is a nice way of saying hell no)

#6 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:33 PM

Yeah I just say no to bottling now. I've had several requests for bottles of my beer and I just tell them it's not possible for my setup (which is a nice way of saying hell no)

This is the main reason why i made the step from 5-6 gallons. 5 for the keg, and the rest i fill 22 oz bombers. Usually about 4 of em. I can handle that many, and its not really a problem. Also, you hand those out to your friends, one at a time. Its beg enough where they get a few glasses of beer from it, and smaller than giving out 6 packs. It works for me, but as usual YMMV. :angry:

#7 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:56 PM

I just have my friends over and they'll drink 1 L glasses of my homebrew from the kegerator. No need to bottle.

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:03 AM

I'm working on getting a kegerator going but for now I bottle. Having bottled 3 five gal batches now its really not that hard with the bottling bucket. Also, having 20oz grolsch bottles helps too.

#9 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 13 July 2009 - 01:12 PM

This is the main reason why i made the step from 5-6 gallons. 5 for the keg, and the rest i fill 22 oz bombers. Usually about 4 of em. I can handle that many, and its not really a problem. Also, you hand those out to your friends, one at a time. Its beg enough where they get a few glasses of beer from it, and smaller than giving out 6 packs. It works for me, but as usual YMMV. :scratch:

Pretty much the same. I shoot for higher volume so that I can get away with bottling a bunch. But I do it in the 12 ouncers. If I'm force carbing the keg, I just use some carb tabs in the bottles. If I'm sugar priming in the keg, I mixe enough sugar as appropriate for volume and desired CO2 and then use low pressure to fill the bottles with the bottling wand stuck up the cobra tap. I figure if I put it in a 12 ouncer, then I could ostensibly submit it to competition... not that they last long enough to touch the lips of a judge!

#10 *_Guest_eccsynd_*

*_Guest_eccsynd_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:57 AM

I recently made some improvements to my bottling process that have really made things easier. I purchased a vinator / bottle tree, mounted the want directly to the bucket, and made a dip tube so I didn't have to tip the bucket.But its still a chore, I find myself slowly amassing bombers and growlers.

#11 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:30 PM

I dont mind the actual bottling process, I hate the cleaning and delabeling no matter how easy it has become (soaking etc). I used to keg everything. Now I have a glutton roomate to quaffs down homebrew and doesnt have the respect to throw some cash for the time and ingredients, so I have been forced to bottle again to control his consumption...has anyone used those keg locks for the faucets? Could they keep a 25 year old man child from my homebrew?

#12 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:58 PM

I dont mind the actual bottling process, I hate the cleaning and delabeling no matter how easy it has become (soaking etc). I used to keg everything. Now I have a glutton roomate to quaffs down homebrew and doesnt have the respect to throw some cash for the time and ingredients, so I have been forced to bottle again to control his consumption...has anyone used those keg locks for the faucets? Could they keep a 25 year old man child from my homebrew?

I suppose they would work if you don't leave the key in the lock! I think that's how they advertise it though... to keep underage drinkers and roommates from draining you of your beer. I was considering it when my niece was living in the house, so I'm pretty sure that's how it was advertised. I thought the "roommate" comment was ingenious. Screw bottling... get the lock!

#13 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64137 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:41 PM

[mob goon]You want I should come over and slap him around a little?[/mob goon]

#14 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:31 PM

Hes like a dumb dog, you yell at it and it feels bad...2 minutes later its up to the same bs again. I got to get the locks, just to see his face when he goes to pour one off. I cant count how many times i came home from work last year to a kicked keg.

#15 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:42 PM

Hes like a dumb dog, you yell at it and it feels bad...2 minutes later its up to the same bs again. I got to get the locks, just to see his face when he goes to pour one off. I cant count how many times i came home from work last year to a kicked keg.

Reminds me of the time I had to put an internet filter on the computer because my 16 year old niece was visiting "adult" sites... found one that barks like a dog when a site is being accessed. I was rolling on the ground. Do let me know how they work out because eventually I will need them.

#16 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:16 AM

[mob goon]You want I should come over and slap him around a little?[/mob goon]

Messing with my alcohol (much like my money) is like messing with my emotions.-Big Zym

#17 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:01 AM

I think there is a cheaper route.You can put plastic quarter turn valves in your liquid line, and put a lock on the fridge door. You would need to make sure that the lock can't be tampered with from the outside. When you leave, just turn the valves to the off position, and lock the door. When he goes to try to get some beer, maybe a few drops will come out.

#18 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:13 AM

I think there is a cheaper route.You can put plastic quarter turn valves in your liquid line, and put a lock on the fridge door. You would need to make sure that the lock can't be tampered with from the outside. When you leave, just turn the valves to the off position, and lock the door. When he goes to try to get some beer, maybe a few drops will come out.

If we have a party and there is something big on draft, or something that I don't want people to consume, I just pull the liquid QD off the post. If you combined this, with locking the freezer, you might be able to protect your beer without modifying your beer lines, or spending a lot of cash.

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:19 AM

If we have a party and there is something big on draft, or something that I don't want people to consume, I just pull the liquid QD off the post. If you combined this, with locking the freezer, you might be able to protect your beer without modifying your beer lines, or spending a lot of cash.

The only bad thing about this is that I know every time I pull the plug a little bit of beer sprays out. On the other hand shut-off valves are another place for a leak to happen. I think the cheapest route is intimidation and random beatings.

#20 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64137 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:56 AM

The only bad thing about this is that I know every time I pull the plug a little bit of beer sprays out. On the other hand shut-off valves are another place for a leak to happen. I think the cheapest route is intimidation and random beatings.

or structured beatings. Everyday at 8 am and 7 pm. It's scarier when they know it's coming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users