#1 texred1

texred1

Permanent Comptroller & Pyromaniac

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3683 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

Authentic Mexican Style Chili VerdeTender chunks of pork in an authentic Mexican style green sauce. Ingredients: Pork2 1/2 to 3lbs. pork loin ( 1/2in. cube )1 tbsp. salt1 1/2 teas. pepper1 teas. garlic powder2 teas. chili powder1/4 teas. cumin4 tbsp. olive oilIngredients: Chili Verde ( Green Sauce )1 1/2 lbs. fresh tomatillos1 big onion4 green or Anaheim chilis (use Hatch when available)4 cloves fresh garlic ( peeled )1/2 teas. salt1/4 teas. pepper1/4 teas. dry Mexican oregano1/4 teas. sugarMethod: Chili Verde with PorkStart by cutting your pork into 1/2 inch cubes and add to a large ziplock bag. Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin and olive oil to your bag. Close the bag leaving a little bit of air in it and “smoosh” it around to thoroughly mix the seasoning into the pork. Reopen the bag and remove as much air as you can and close. Set this aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes.While your pork is marinating, Peel the outer shell of the tomatillos off and wash them to remove the sticky residue, cut them in half. Slice the onion into 8 equal size pieces. Slice your chili’s in half, remove the stems and de-seed them. Transfer your tomatillos, onion and chili’s along with the 4 cloves of garlic into a baking dish and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour to 1:15. Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly. Add to a blender along with the salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder and sugar. Start your blender on pulse to get it started and then to blend making sure that everything gets blended. You might have to do this in a few batches. Set this aside until your pork is ready for it.After your pork has marinated, add it to a large deep skillet preheated to high. You will want a pan big enough to hold the pork and the sauce. A good way to know if your pan is hot enough is to add a few drops of olive oil to it and when it starts to smoke, it’s ready. Sear your pork on all sides, stirring often, this will take about 20 minutes or so. Once the pork has seared, stir in your sauce and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to the lowest possible setting and cover. You're looking for a very low simmer, it should barely even bubble. Cook for about 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally. You could also transfer your covered pan to a 300 degree oven and bake for about an hour, provided your pan and lid are oven proof. Everybody’s stove is a little different so try a piece of the meat, it should be tender, if not cook it a little longer.***If we have some in the fridge I normally put a handful of cilantro in the blender with the green sauce***~dustin

#2 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49863 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

Your reputation for chili precedes you. I will be making this shortly :frank:

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

what's the diff between Mexican and other oregano? i have stuff from the grocery store or some from the family in greece that i generally reserve for using uncooked b/c it's so awesome.

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49863 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

There are different varieties of oregano for sure. I wouldn't hesitate to use any of them for each other as a sub, but the Mexican variety is a lot more earthy and less fruity if that makes any sense.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:56 PM

got it! well either way this recipe sounds pretty awesome. i need to see if i can get tomatillos at the grocery store. are they generally a lot more pricey than regular tomatoes?

#6 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49863 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

Not a whole lot more. If more at all. This recipe ain't gonna break the bank :frank:

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:12 AM

buying ingredients tonight and planning to make this weekend - I'll post an update...

#8 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

Deglaze the pan with a cup of chicken stock.Remove the skin on the roasted peppers

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

Deglaze the pan with a cup of chicken stock.Remove the skin on the roasted peppers

how about beer?

#10 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49863 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:17 AM

That will work

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

okay - trying to be efficient with this post:why do I need to deglaze? I'm about to cook in the same pan with lots of liquids floating around. won't the pan pretty much deglaze itself?also - can I marinate longer (overnight?) I'm cutting the pork up in preparation right now...

#12 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49863 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:39 PM

Deglazing not only pulls up the fond, but it also rapidly cools the cooking vessel. Do what you need to do, you know. Feel it out if need be. Overnight marinate is great

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

veggies - pre and post cooking. to be continued later in the day...httpss://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-lqCten5LGLk/T-8GQZt_MqI/AAAAAAAAMmw/6qm5q6zrUt8/s912/CIMG3794.JPGhttpss://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iEEdZJf2kR8/T-8GQaAXf3I/AAAAAAAAMm0/lowJ-_y-wmk/s912/CIMG3795.JPG

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

no need to really deglaze in my case. I cooked the meat (didn't take 20 mins, probably closer to 10-15) and took it out of the pan. I poured the liquid from the veggies in to "deglaze" although there wasn't really much of anything stuck to the bottom. then I put the veggies in and used the stick blender on them and added the meat in when complete. i'm now in the slow cook phase.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

tastes good. what do you serve w/ this usually?

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

one thing I never noticed before.  you mention putting garlic powder in the sauce but you don't have an amount listed.  how much?

#17 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

t(ea)spoon. It's listed in the op.you can add more to the finished sauce. Maybe another t spoon

#18 texred1

texred1

Permanent Comptroller & Pyromaniac

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3683 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

one thing I never noticed before.  you mention putting garlic powder in the sauce but you don't have an amount listed.  how much?

Honestly I think it is a mistake. The garlic powder goes in the marinade and fresh garlic goes in the sauce.

~dustin

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:20 AM

Honestly I think it is a mistake. The garlic powder goes in the marinade and fresh garlic goes in the sauce.

~dustin

huh.  i made a batch of just the sauce to eat on chips and I put a dash of garlic powder in there.  probably not a huge diff either way.

#20 bierboy

bierboy

Comptroller of Temporary Pancakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15750 posts
  • LocationThe Firey Pits of Liberal Hell

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

Made this today.  Pretty good.  Some warm corn tortillas, hot sauce and a small dollop of sour cream.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users