#21 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:25 AM

personally I think you are better off getting 2 hydrometers and a good sample cylinder, but that's me

#22 gdsfghsd

gdsfghsd

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3539 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

personally I think you are better off getting 2 hydrometers and a good sample cylinder, but that's me

Would a Brix meter be more accurate?I'm also looking to keep prices down.:frank:

#23 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26137 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

The thing that's nice about refractometers is that you don't need a big sample to see where fermentation is at. With any variation of hydrometer you still need to fill up the sample tube to get a reading.Brix or SG shouldn't matter

#24 gdsfghsd

gdsfghsd

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3539 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:43 PM

The thing that's nice about refractometers is that you don't need a big sample to see where fermentation is at. With any variation of hydrometer you still need to fill up the sample tube to get a reading.Brix or SG shouldn't matter

Refractometers sound easier too..I know when I check my blood sugar it is easy....Too bad I can't use that......... :blush::frank:

#25 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26137 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:10 AM

Refractometers are simple, but once alcohol is in the mix you need to do a simple calculationhttps://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml

#26 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

Refractometers sound easier too..I know when I check my blood sugar it is easy....Too bad I can't use that......... :blush: :frank:

you a diabetic frank? wouldn't have guessedon topic, I :wub: my refractometer but I just don't trust it for FG

#27 gdsfghsd

gdsfghsd

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3539 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

you a diabetic frank? wouldn't have guessedon topic, I :wub: my refractometer but I just don't trust it for FG

:smilielol:No....Not diabetic..A buddy of mine up north gave me one when we were working together...I check my blood sugar once in a while just to see where it's at... My dad was diabetic...I guess I will use both. I have a hydrometer. I will buy a refractometer.. I just don't want to drop a huge coin on one..That Milwaukee one seems a little on the high end.. I will look for a cheaper one..I am counting the days..Man, I'm thinking blueberry wine too.......:frank::frank:

#28 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

:smilielol:No....Not diabetic..A buddy of mine up north gave me one when we were working together...I check my blood sugar once in a while just to see where it's at... My dad was diabetic...I guess I will use both. I have a hydrometer. I will buy a refractometer.. I just don't want to drop a huge coin on one..That Milwaukee one seems a little on the high end.. I will look for a cheaper one..I am counting the days..Man, I'm thinking blueberry wine too....... :frank: :frank:

you can get a usable optical refractometer cheap on ebay or amazon these days

#29 gdsfghsd

gdsfghsd

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3539 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:47 AM

you can get a usable optical refractometer cheap on ebay or amazon these days

Optical?.....HmmmmmmI must investigate.I have used opticle levels....Hmmmmm:frank:

#30 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

Optical?.....HmmmmmmI must investigate.I have used opticle levels....Hmmmmm :frank:

what i mean by that is a normal , no battery required plain jane refractometeryou put a few drops on the prism, close the lid and point it at a light source and read where the line says the sugar content islike this one on https://www.amazon.c...s=refractometer, i got mine from ebay

#31 gdsfghsd

gdsfghsd

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3539 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:03 AM

what i mean by that is a normal , no battery required plain jane refractometeryou put a few drops on the prism, close the lid and point it at a light source and read where the line says the sugar content islike this one on https://www.amazon.c...s=refractometer, i got mine from ebay

That looks cool Mic.Thanks for the link.I like the price.I must do it.:frank:

#32 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

I'll vouch for this one. Had one 5 years or so, never a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users