Photo
- - - - -

BRITU BBQ rub (Best Ribs In The Universe)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

BRITU BBQ rub (Best Ribs In The Universe)1 cup sugar1 cup non-iodized table salt1/2 cup brown sugar*5 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon chili powder2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons ground cumin4 teaspoons Accent (MSG) -use half or none if you like4 teaspoons cayenne pepper4 teaspoons black pepper, freshly ground4 teaspoons garlic powder4 teaspoons onion powder* Dried out by exposing on cookie sheet room temp, several hours, or in slightly warmed oven, helps keep the finished product from clumping up.

#2 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87440 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

we use granulated garlic instead of powder (not that its a big difference) and Turbinado sugar instead of plain white sugar and skip the MSG.this is a great place to start and variations on it to your taste will get you ribs (if you smoke properly) that will keep you from every ordering restaurant cooked ribs.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

I just omitt the MSG when I make this now and have not notices any issues.

#4 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:33 AM

Pro tip: When I use this rub on full size (8-12#) shoulders I go full salt on it and really pack as much rub on as will stick then dump a pile on top when the meat is on the smoker, there's enough meat volume to need that much. When using on ribs you either want to cut the salt by half or more or just barely dust the ribs depending on how much of the other flavors you want. With full salt and even a generally average application of the rub your ribs will be stupid salty.I went to smokey bones last month with SWMBO. Their 'dry' ribs I swear have EXACTLY the BRITU rub on them, a bit too salty and all. If you use their stupidly sweet honey-enhanced BBQ sauce served with the ribs then it all balances out though, as is the design intent of the BRITU recipe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users