#1 humdum

humdum

Comptroller of Chili and Other Fine Bean-Free Foods

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9038 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:52 PM

6lbs Early Girl/Celebrity tomatoes (Roma or Plum as substitutes)5 large cloves garlic coarsely chopped1/3 cup lime juice1.5 tablespoons salt or to taste1/3 teaspoon ground cayenne (or to taste)1 teaspoon ground cumin1/2 red onion chopped 1/2 white onion chopped1/2 yellow onion chopped8 large Jalapeños chopped (or to taste)1.5 bunches chopped cilantro (or to taste)Parboil and peel tomatoes, add all ingredients to large stock pot (4 quarts or more) and bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer for 20-30 minutes. Purée ingredients in blender or in the pot with an immersion blender. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes, seasoning to taste. Transfer to mason jars with 2-piece lids and process in boiling water for 15 minutes. Remove from heat/water and let cool for 90 minutes. Place in refrigerator for up to 1 month.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

if you can these properly why do you need to refrigerate them?

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:38 AM

how many qts does this recipe make?

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

for the record this makes about 3 quart mason jars worth of salsa. I've made the recipe a number of times now and I can vouch for it's goodness. I probably put in more onion than is called for but it's all good. I have also been using hot Portugal peppers instead of jalepeno and it has been excellent.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:46 AM

making this recipe yet again.  normally I make a bunch of quarts of this to can but I just haven't had time this year.  we've been using most of our maters to make sauce for pizza/pasta and freezing it to avoid the canning process.

today I'm going to make an amount that hopefully will be something I can just put in the fridge and consume over the next week or so.

#6 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8765 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:21 AM

With the right amount of acid, I can salsa in pints for 15 minutes in a boiling water canner.  They keep for at least a year, and I've used them for 2 years.  A little added vinegar helps ensure that you have enough acid.  And it tastes good too.  I got the canning info from the Ball Blue Book, so I'm fairly confident that it's the right time and size.  I never did quarts because the recipes only gave canning instructions for pints.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users